It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where have the flying saucers gone?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by theMegaladon

Like Mr Greer, Billy Meier is another black eye to Ufology. Meier to me was a pathological liar.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I've thought a bit about saucer shaped crafts lately but more along the lines of why that shape has seemingly been around for so long instead of questioning where they've gone more recently.

Petroglyphs, ancient religious texts and paintings, in addition to other art forms throughout our history, certainly contains imagery of saucer shaped objects. Accepting this means that they have been observed for thousands of years. I question how likely it is that aliens would use the same basic shaped craft for so long. Is a saucer shaped craft the ultimate design? Where as Kandinsky seems to accept it as the ultimate design I actually question it as being the ultimate design.

If aliens have visited us they're obviously more advanced than us, at least in the traveling category. But how advanced are they? I tend to think there would be advances in technology over thousands of years. Are they so advanced and so ancient that a saucer shaped craft truly is the ultimate design with no need for advancement in its basic shape? Does it seem logical, likely or reasonable for the same shape of craft to remain for so long?

I'm not entirely sure how I even feel about my own pondering. On one hand I'm accepting that saucer shaped objects have been observed for thousands of years while on the other hand I'm questioning the superiority of said shape for such a duration. As usual, that tends to leave me right in the gray area, in the middle of indecisiveness and open mindedness. I'm really unsure what to make of it all.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
What bends my noodle is; Why haven't there been more amazing close-up shots (or video from multiple witnesses at the same time) of UFOs in fine detail at a time in history when more people have access to high quality cameras than ever before?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Where did the saucers go? Where did they come from? Options!

1) Aliens have advanced their stuff. Because they were abducting humans and other animals like crazy for the last few decades they now totally understand biology and emotions and other things they personally lacked and have built this into their technology. Assuming the same Aliens have been mining this planet's resources they now instead of riding around in janky old beamships now have astonishing biotechnological equipment that is beyond their original technologies.

2) Because the populus is now generally better informed (anybody can read the wikipedia page on string theory!) we can no longer think "lets trick the layman with stories of people from Venus". We've sent probes to Venus and its pretty arrid up there, so no change of beautiful Ayran dudes marching around up there.

3) Because the Cold War is over we no longer have that massive fear of the unknown. We know what terrorists look like. They hide out in caves, wear headscarves and generally wave Russian and US-made weapons around for dramatic effect. They do not pilot spacecraft.

4) Because you cannot anylonger make serious money as a UFO contactee. Meier, Adamski and Villa came out of an era (the Ken Kesey era) where people were raised christian but changed during their 20s etc... The babyboomer generation created a nice need for faith and belief but the old christian values didn't cut it, so they put their faith in other stuff. You won't get many white middleclass kids in 2010 to stand in the middle of a crop circle and chant for a while. We are more cynical and hackneyed now for sure.

5) The change of employment. Differences in Agricultural practices in the last few decades means we don't have guys out in Oregon with smallholdings and 8mm cameras filming ufos. A lot less people are involved in Agriculture, so less eyes are on the skies in rural areas. We are more worried about running out of money or terrorists, so we do not have all the free time and freewill to spend days working out in the fields keeping a spare eye open for Ufos/commies.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
In the 1950s a flying saucer photo would amaze people. These days you need to be more sophisticated to fool people...

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
In the 1950s a flying saucer photo would amaze people. These days you need to be more sophisticated to fool people...

Which explains why videos of people's cats on youtube can get a million views in a few hours?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Why would one expect aliens to need a craft at all?

I suggest that our own limitations have formed what necessarily constitutes an 'alien'. If they are advanced, a craft would be useless, in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manolete

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147

Which explains why videos of people's cats on youtube can get a million views in a few hours?

I don't think those people are fooled by the cats, probably just amused by them.

As technology has advanced it has given people the means to create UFOs far more interesting and elaborate than your standard saucer. Take those floating pyramid things - you never saw video or photos of them in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, or 90s. Why? Because the use of video manipulation software wasn't so commonly used.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by CheapShotArtist

Like Mr Greer, Billy Meier is another black eye to Ufology. Meier to me was a pathological liar.

I agree and that is quite obvious.

Originally posted by synchro
What bends my noodle is; Why haven't there been more amazing close-up shots (or video from multiple witnesses at the same time) of UFOs in fine detail at a time in history when more people have access to high quality cameras than ever before?

Yes exactly. While many people have their heads in the clouds and buried in the sand, there are still many people who pay attention. To see a UFO is merely by chance or luck imo. That is why i do not believe in UFO hunting. No such thing as a UFO hunter. Many proclaimed UFO Hunters will find themselves disappointed after spending countless hours looking at the sky for UFO's and using video cameras in hopes of getting something. This is what has become od ESETI, CSETI and other UFO groups. Seems rather the religion than anything. With UFO hunters it appears after so long many people lose patience and begin to hoax to reinforce the beliefs in the following. Ironically there is no clear footage of saucers or saucers at all any more it seems? I share the same thoughts

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I ignore statements from people who say they have multiple sightings or see them all the time (I didn't ignore the OP because the last two sightings he had were nocturnal light sightings..which I ignore automatically anyway
).

I agree that reports of saucers have gone very quiet from late 70s and 80s onwards. I think there may be some popular media and cultural reasons for this as discussed, but I also think that there was some sort of real change in the early 1970s.

Why do I say that? Because of one intriguing pattern I have noticed. Every now and then somebody who had a sighting in the 60s or early 70s will report their sighting on MUFON or NUFORC etc. Almost without fail they will report saucers or cigar shaped objects, usually daylight and close-up sightings. Very different than the modern lights in the sky stuff or chevrons and triangles (which I think are US military anyway).

I really feel that they changed their behaviour in the 1970s or else left Earth. 1969 and 1970 seemed to have a lot of what seem to be genuine daylight saucer sightings. Why would random people come onto the internet and post similar stories years later if only just to get it off their chest. How come their sightings are so similar even though they are often unaware of other sightings?

I recommend people to ignore almost all of the pictures out there, they are too easy to fake and there are no close-up photos of saucers. That means that either all the pictures are fake or that these intelligent entities will not allow up close pictures to be taken...ever.

Mankind did achieve a great feat in 1969 sending the first people to the moon.

If they are still here and not figments of the human imagination they may simply have gone incognito through some type of invisibility system, or else they have been instructed to keep a distance from human observers or only operate at night as human technology progressed. I don't believe there are any biological entities in these craft, rather they are probably some type of robotic AI probe.

So my take home message is...look for the remarkable sightings reports that continue to roll in from the late 1960s and early 1970s and ask why is that occurring and how come they are such good sightings?

edit on 18-3-2013 by ManInAsia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Maybe the triangles are a different species from a different star system than the other visitors.

The first sighting of a triangle in Britain was in September 1952 during NATO’s ‘Mainbrace’ exercise.

“Barely one day into the exercise, at least two reports of encounters with triangular-shaped vehicles were filed with the authorities by naval personnel on board ships off the coast of Ireland. The first such encounter involved what was referred to as a ‘blue/green triangle’ which was observed flying over the sea at a speed of 1,500 miles per hour; while later that same day, a triangular formation of lights emitting a ‘white light exhaust’ was seen in the same vicinity.” [ufoevidence.org]

The next sighting was over Manchester during 1956. It was described as flying low and slow and made of highly polished metal.

In 1983 the first triangle wave hit New York’s Hudson Valley.
In 1989 another triangle wave hit Belgium.

Maybe those first sightings were interplanetary scouts, and the waves were established exploration teams?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join