It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Current Directions in Psychological Science: Schizophrenia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
For the many of you who don't know, Current Directions in Psychological Science is one of the leading journals in psychology today. It is published by the Association for Psychological Science and as its title implies it focuses on the most cutting edge studies. In August they put out a special issue that focused entirely on Schizophrenia. It has been garnering so much attention that APS has decided to post it online completely open access. So, if any of you out there are interested in the current direction that schizophrenia research is taking, this is your chance without having to pay any kind subscription fee.

Special Issue

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

are these people trying to get inside my head? and if they are in my head, aren't they out of their minds? are they crazy to believe they can be in two places at the same time? if so they may be suffering from dementia praecox.

maybe i'm just paranoid.

what?

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   

I'm really sorry to hear you are going through a hard time. I hope things get better for you.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Thanks for the link , one for day light reading i think.

=====================================

Some other interesting directions that the treatment of Schizophrenia *might take.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Thanks I am a sufferer of schizophrenia since 1998 in that time there has been many improvements especially in terms of less dehabilitating medication,the research still isn't where it should be,they're there now in terms of whats going on but not what causes it or how to cure it yet.My problems started at about the same time mobile phones went from digital to microwave-thats one area of research they should look into.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing this, it is a great find.

S+F

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Thanks for the link and the heads up. Maybe I can understand what my buddy is going through a little better. Plus the price is right.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

The government doesn't just spy on schizophrenics, they create them.

reference my link here www.abovetopsecret.com...

I know firsthand. I was labeled schizophrenic, but just today found out differently from an unknown source.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   

That video was just wrong. wrong on many levels. but damn funny.

not sure if i agree with the anagram part, though.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
IMO schizophrenics is not new. This has been happening for ages. We just have different names for them in the past, like prophets, or psychics.

The fact that this day and age, instead of those who can see that this is NOT a new phenomenon, or instead trying to find a way medically to "change" it. Our minds are created by our surroundings, and the fact that people who are labeled with such an ordinary prognosis, is not a find, but a symptom of life.

Our bodies, minds and spirits have not yet evolved to face all of the things that bombard us on a day to day. People are told that they can be helped by medication that dulls the senses. Our senses is what we need in order to survive.

If we think we hear things, IMO sometimes its by a person that is fighting their natural ability to sense something outside the norm. We live outside the norm.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

You are a hater, a hurter, and a life-destroyer...Are we clear on that?

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Excerpts from link below:

In the 1980s, Bud Clayman was an aspiring journalist and filmmaker, studying at Temple University. But his dreams were derailed by a nervous breakdown, and bouts of severe depression. Then came the OCD diagnosis, and much later Aspergers. Despite hospitalizations and long periods of unemployment, Bud stubbornly kept trying to pursue the career of his dreams. Funny thing is, he doesn't even really like filmmaking:

For OC87, Clayman teamed up with local filmmakers Glenn Holsten and Scott Johnston. The team spent a year re-visiting important places in Clayman's past, and speaking to other people affected by mental illness. Holsten says they also filmed Clayman confronting everyday challenges.

Holsten: “Simple things, elevators, bus rides, going down the street and getting lunch at a diner – being in the diner! And how much work that took for Buddy.”
Director and writer Scott Johnston hopes that the intimate look at these endless struggles will change viewers' minds about mental illness:

Johnston: “One of our broader objectives with the film is to address stigma, which is fierce in mental illness, and I also felt like this was a process in many ways of Buddy reclaiming his voice, as a filmmaker.”

Clayman: “I think I was embarrassed that I hadn't moved on in life. And, one of my big problems is people making fun of me, and we're working on that in my Apsberger's treatment right now, letting people in again, and a lot of people made fun of me in high school, and I didn't want to go through that again.”

whyy.org... 4

People can't control the fact that they become ill. Do you laugh at people who are dying of cancer?

[edit on 4-9-2010 by LAinhabitant]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

my ears are bleeding. you don't by chance have her phone number, do you?

at least this guy was more direct and to the point (some mild vulgarity) worth listening to:

[edit on 4-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

That man did seem a little tense...not schizophrenic, but I bet his children live or lived in fear...

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
IMO schizophrenics is not new. This has been happening for ages. We just have different names for them in the past, like prophets, or psychics.

Who said schizophrenia was new? Plus, you would be closer to the truth if you turned this on it's head - ie lots of people who supposedly have had visions etc were probably, in truth, suffering from schizophrenia.
I have been a mental health worker for over 30 years. For some people, schizophrenia is a terrible illness. It's not fun, psychic, or a blessing from the spirit world/God to see pavements opening up in front of you, having the central heating radiator tell you to kill yourself, voices in your head telling you to harm yourself or others... I've supported many a person, so afflicted, that they wanted to kill themselves.
If you are so sure this is a gift, I could find any number of sufferers keen to swap places with you.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by LAinhabitant

Do you laugh at people who are dying of cancer?

===============================================

Do you think that people with cancer are incapable of laughter ?

Is it inconceivable that such a suffer could find mirth in their predicament .. perhaps even some relief in laughing at it.

There are quite a few studies on the beneficial impact humour/laughter has on the immune system. You should look them up .

I was a full time carer for close on 7 years , my mother was wheel chair bound with MS . But that twisted disease did not touch her wicked sense of humour ..... nor mine .
We often laughed till tears rolled down our faces at some of the mishaps which invariable arise with such a debilitating disease .She laughed in the face of adversity right till the end .

Your solemn sanctimonious outlook , is only one perspective ...... if something offends your sensibilities - just stop watching it, feeling offended on behalf of others .... ridiculous .

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by anglodemonicmatrix

My problems started at about the same time mobile phones went from digital to microwave

Very interesting comment.................I agree possibly there could be a link.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I am aware that laughter can release endorphins and that laughter can feel good. I love comedies and read jokes for that reason.

I am also aware that there is a difference between humor and ridicule which focuses on demeaning, belittling, degrading and mocking another person at that persons expense. It can be destructive and is inappropriate when focused on someone who doesn't have power over the condition that is being ridiculed.

I am glad for you and your mom that the two of you could laugh together. But just because a person can laugh at themself doesn't mean they like you to laugh at them.

Schizophrenia is often a mentally crippling lifetime illness for people who deserve to be respected for the courage and challenges they deal with on a daily basis. Those with persecutory delusions and hallucinations already are hearing voices telling them horrible and denigrating things. They really don't need people outside their head adding to the battle they have going on inside their heads.

As long as I have a voice I will continue to speak for those who can not speak for themselves. You call it a "sanctimonious outlook"," feeling offended on behalf of others".

I call it having love and compassion for my fellow man.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10
If you are so sure this is a gift, I could find any number of sufferers keen to swap places with you.

misinterpretations of a gift. tools are only as good as the intentions of those who use them.

for instance, in the "funny" news video clip above the fake news commentators joke about putting anagrams into the words and literature to encode hidden messages as though it is totally fictional and made up in the minds of those suffering from schizophrenia, in which case they are usually medicated, and given medicines to decrease brain activity.

yet, truisms do exist in anagrams, even in names, and often there before the time of the truth demonstrates it to be an accurate prediction about the future.

example:
I'm Star Trek Capt.
if we turn the "m" symbol upside down and rearrange the letters:
Patrick Stewart

and yes, Patrick Stewart did play a Star Trek Captain in Star Trek the Next Generation, and movies as well.

so why was it the letters of his name also spelled out "I'm Star Trek Capt" long before he played a Star Trek captain on TV, and why was he drawn to the role, and chosen for the role out of 9 billion other people on the planet?

does knowing this and seeing language in such ways make me schizophrenic? it is one of the symptoms of schizophrenia, isn't it?

another example of anagrams of peoples' names?
ok.

old west action
clint eastwood (actor who starred in old west action films)

reporter hide hero clevis
Christopher D'Olier Reeve (the actor who played Clark Kent & Superman, but did hide and clevis means to be split or be two)

new topics

top topics

join