It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are nation-states and massive organizations essential for modern life?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I have a dream, that we gave up nation states and major corporations, and the military, and the stock market, and all went back to living in communities of 50-500 people. If a major project, like say, a silicon chip factory, or airport, is needed, a confederation, basically communities banding together, could create it.

But is this possible? I'm not highly educated on economics, sociology, etc, aside from what I have read in books. Would this work, is there any reason it would not work? Because I feel that nation-states and large faceless organizations do more harm than good.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I'm glad you mentioned this idea, because it's one I've been thinking about for awhile now. I've allways been a sort of an anarchist at heart, but am extremely pessimistic about the idea. My ideal world would have virtually no globalization, less people, and the freedom to go wherever, do as much or as little as you need to live comfortably (think post apocalyptic world like The Stand where the world itself is intact). However, I am enough of a realist to know that most people would abuse such freedom (killing, raping, etc) "Only a good man loves freedom, the rest love only liscence". That's when I realized that government is necessary for: organization, defence, and making life a little easier in a world where anarchy will never work and we need some way to make evil people tow the line. A small community or a city-state government (think greeks) would be the closest thing to my idealistic anarchy while still providing safety and a little needed order. Not all city state governments would be just; some would be tyrannical, but if that were the case, you could just leave and easily find a new one.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by kallisti36
I'm glad you mentioned this idea, because it's one I've been thinking about for awhile now. I've allways been a sort of an anarchist at heart, but am extremely pessimistic about the idea. My ideal world would have virtually no globalization, less people, and the freedom to go wherever, do as much or as little as you need to live comfortably (think post apocalyptic world like The Stand where the world itself is intact). However, I am enough of a realist to know that most people would abuse such freedom (killing, raping, etc) "Only a good man loves freedom, the rest love only liscence". That's when I realized that government is necessary for: organization, defence, and making life a little easier in a world where anarchy will never work and we need some way to make evil people tow the line. A small community or a city-state government (think greeks) would be the closest thing to my idealistic anarchy while still providing safety and a little needed order. Not all city state governments would be just; some would be tyrannical, but if that were the case, you could just leave and easily find a new one.

of course, if our leadership really wants to exterminate the vast majority of us, it might even be worth dispensing of such a system, though we better be sure of the truth.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
any more thoughts?

new topics

top topics

join