It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surviving a dog attack.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Last night my girlfriends daughter was attacked by a German Shepherd dog whilst walking her own smaller dog.

Although she came off lightly in the end, with a small bite to the arm thanks to a padded jacket she was wearing, it was a very traumatic time for all involved.

The injury and the psychological trauma aside (she doesn't even want to go out alone at the moment), i wanted to discuss your tips for avoiding, or if you can't avoid it, surviving a dog attack.

The only experience i have of this is from acting as bait for training our police dogs in the army, i used to don a protective sleeve or suit, run as fast as i could and get bitten hard.

Once i had the misfortune to be doing a demonstration to a new regiment in town, and the dog, a German Shepherd, tore the sleeve off and then went in again. Tore up my shoulder nicely and put the fear of God into the soldiers watching.
So i know hard they bite, and a little of what damage they can do.

As far as avoiding being bitten is concerned, the main bits of advice i have found on the net is suggestions such as...

* Carry a stick when walking, you can use this to defend yourself if need be.

* Try telling the dog to sit or stay. Yes i laughed at this one, but i guess if it's not going for a full on psycho attack on you, you could at least try it.

* Don't stare the dog out. Eye contact will be a sign of aggression, and the dog will be more likely to snap.

* Carry pepper spray or the likes, spray it directly in the dogs face if it gets that close.

* My girlfriend has just bought a spray that makes a noise that apparently repels dogs.....however it might make the attacking dog more angrier so she was told.

* Loud noise. My girlfriend said her dad was attacked by a huge German Shepherd dog once, but as it lunged to bite him, he shouted/screamed really loud at the dog and it coward away.

* Keep a couple of treats in your pocket when walking alone or with your dog. These could buy you precious few seconds to get away.

Now the techniques i was shown in the forces was to (if a dog attack was unavoidable and incoming), try and wrap something around your forearm, a jacket or something. Offer the attacking dog your arm, then you can use your knife on the dogs side whilst he'd busy chewing your other arm.

Another good tip, and i had to do this on the police dogs at times as well as on suspects, is to try not to tear your arm away from a bite, instead force your arm into the mouth hard. This will really put them off biting you, they will choke, struggle to breathe and it can damage the jaw.

There are other tips on the net about wrenching the dogs leg upwards, not sure about that one?

One technique i would advice against, is an old one i heard about once where you get the dogs front legs and pull them apart. This apparently stresses their heart. Personally i think this is more of myth, at least as far as it being used as a defence against a dog attack. Think about it, if you have a dogs front legs wide apart with your two hands doing it....where is your face in relation to the dog? Yep, right in front of its face! No thank you.

Obviously the ideal is to just run and get out of the danger zone, don't underestimate any dog if it has it's sights on you, i've seen several grown men struggling to drag small dogs from a victim. Just run, jump over a wall, into someones garden, anything...just get away if you can.

We have always had dog attacks in the news, another child was attacked just a few days ago by a couple of Rottweilers. Plus we are now seeing idiots in gangs using dogs as weapons.

So what i am looking for is any tips or advice for avoiding and surviving a dog attack, whether it be personal experience or info from the net.

Thanks.

CX.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
A little trick a lot of people don't know about dog attacks, you grab them by the hind legs, they can't move.

great way to break up dog fights.

But as a preventive measure, be a competent pack leader. Period.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

CX

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Not heard of the "grab the hind legs" trick, thanks for that.

How do you mean, be a competant pack leader?

CX.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
If you see it coming and have no chance to out run it, then why not just square up and try to punt the thing as hard as you can. Pretty sure i could break a dogs leg or knock the animal out.

If you miss and it grabs you leg, try to choke it to death.

CX

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Thanks for those links, much appreciated.

I'll pass them on and have a good read myself.

Cheers.

CX.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I'm sorry. That might work with the toy, small or perhaps even medium breeds but there is no way you are getting to the back legs of a large or giant breed without putting your head/face down at his level.

Now, when I was about eight my twin and I were walking in a strange neighborhood when a male German Shepherd came straight for us. She got behind me and pushed me toward the dog while she ran the opposite way. I stood my ground and shouted GO HOME! It worked. Looking back I'm surprised he didn't go around me and after her - prey response and all.

If I had to take down one of my Danes barehanded (not that they're mean, they aren't) I'd go for the eyes! You can kick a male in the penis (dogs have a bone in theirs and it will break so only do for life or death emergencies). Carry a water pistol full of ammonia. Shoot them right in the face! A small airhorn would work with a less aggressive dog.

I'll think of more and post back.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

I carry a knife with me when I run. A small pocket knife that is just big enough to cause serious damage but small enough that police don't harass me for it. I know this isn't an option for brits because of your laws.. but most of us in the states can do this.

On the subject of a noise. In Karate (and Japanese martial arts) there is what is known as Kiai (Key-I).. It's a feral scream that you let out when you attack or block.. It's purpose spiritually is to unify your mind, body and soul in defense or office. Mentally it scares the living hell out of most opponents, and even stuns them at times if they have never had someone do it to them.. Physically it emptys the air from your longs so that if you get punched in the plexus you dont end up rolling around on the ground gasping for air while your opponent pretends your ribs and head are a football hes trying to get across the field.

It works extremely well on dogs, as they don't typically logic out "His bark is worse than his bite"

It's how I settled my dogs agressive ness... If she tried to get agrssive and bark and bite at me and get my food I gave her a nice battle shout.. Seems silly but it's something she responded to extremely well.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
If a dog lunges at you to bite simply stuff your hand down their throat! They will back off. If they do it again, stuff your hand down their throat harder! They will choke and back off.

Then always assert your dominance using "NO", "Backoff", "Bad Dog", "Down", que words that the dog will likely know. If you are in a different Country you should learn to say these same types of que words in that perspective language. Dogs know language if they have been raised by someone.

Appear bigger than the dog but allow room to back off and to allow the dog to move away. Loud is key! As well as asserting over the dog it can alert anyone within hearing distance the opportunity to know that you are in trouble.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I would just knock the **** out of it if it ran at me.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
When I was about 5 yrs old I was attacked by a doberman.
It tore my face from the top of my nose down over my lips to the bottom of my chin.

I dont remember much, but my parents told me how I came running into the house holding my face, and when I let go, my face pealed open like a banana.

But for some reason it never bothered me, i love dogs.

A few months ago I was walking to the shops and a large dog came down the drive way because the gate was left open.. It was growling and its hair was on end.. It started coming at me, i simple stood square at it, took a fighting position and growled back in a loud dominating voice.

The dog stopped and walked off.

I think if you show the dog your the stronger one it will back down to humans.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
If a dog gets you on the ground put your arms up infront of you and cover your face AND throat at the same time. These are the places a dog will attack, and it will only take on good sink into your throat to rip the carotid artery apart. In this position, if you can get your legs around the dogs body, wrap them around and pull to one side.. you should be able to get them on their back like this.

But if you can let it attack your dog.. let it. My dog is small but extremely agile.. I could easily get control of a german shepard while she runs around. Not a pleasant thought but shes a small target and I'm more use to her if Im not stuggling to get off my back.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Theres this as well.. There was a dog that ran into a yard at a party and started to bark at us.. Well I had too much to drink and I stood my ground but walked over and then tried to pet it. It probably thought I would attack it and darted off back to its house.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

I don't know but I have heard pepper spray works on dogs too, And the cop's wont shoot you for having it,well not yet they haven't.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
This will work in pretty much fighting off anything.

Go for the eyes.

Getting mugged?
go for the eyes.

Shark attack?
Try for the eyes.

Although, the shark one might be a bit tricky, unless you see it coming.

I was attacked once by a Pitbull.
Didn't hurt me because I saw it coming at me, and gave it a nice kick to the face, ran off after.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
jamming a hand down the throat will hurt, you will get bit, just not as bad.

Once a dog locks on and attacks, sacrifice your non-dominant arm and beat the tar out of its ribs. When it tries to pull you down, start kicking at its ribs. Also, dogs don't let go once they've bit down, so if you are so willing, bite its ears hard. Poke eyes, do whatever it takes.

Most people get hurt and killed by dogs for failing to engage into the fight as fully as the dog does. You are bigger and stronger, and smarter.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Deploy (open up) an umbrella- It's supposed to be efficient against one dog, at least that's what I heard.

I think this way- it bewilders the dog and it's not easy to bite through an umbrella and you can deflect the attack some ways.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by star in a jar]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Hey Im new to this site, and thought I would start this post by saying HI!

First I would like to say I would not recommend most of what has been said here, you do not try to grab the dog in any way either! All you will accomplish is getting bit and a wrestling match you don't want to lose. If the dog gets you down, sorry you have already lost.

Dogs have a fluid in their brains that allows them to spring forward with amazing balance but does not allow them to turn as quickly. You can not push a dog back, but can easily push them to the side. When you do this the liquid in their brain become off balance and therefore throws them off balance.

In conclusion, step out of the way and kick the dog in the side or if you are fighting it, push it sideways!!!

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I got to wear the padded suit/sleeve and be the bad guy for some police dogs, so I got a pretty good feel for how they react. Question should be how not to trigger the dog...

First off, do not have or show fear, and once it is on, maintain eye contact as much as you can. Growling and moving with aggression will turn many dogs from aggressive to leaving.
Never ever run away, as that will kick in his instinct to pursue.

The nice guy method is to pop the nose with the palm of your hand. A punch is almost too much and could do damage to the dog..
Hit it square on the end of the nose with the strike force in the direction the brain.

If you get bit on the arm, push it in almost past the back teeth, otherwise the gag method works, as mentioned earlier.

If the dog is not stopping, and you are loosing, thumb his eyes out while you grab his jugglers....lol if you can make him tap out

No really...kick it in the nose, throat and ribs, as aggressively as possible, and lick your wounds later if you take some bites.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Interesting responses! I often hike in my local Metro Parks and I often see dog owners who are incapable of controlling their pets on a lead. The worst ones are always on those retractable leashes. I always put my guard up when I see those. Some folks just let their dogs run free and when I have my kids with me I can never trust on of these uncontrolled dogs. Not all dogs like kids.

I have had some success with loudly shouting some common commands but, I don't think those would work on a feral dog. When I hike I always carry a 4 inch fixed blade knife and Kimber Life Act pepper blaster. I've never had to use either.
www.kimberamerica.com...

I'll have to ask my mail man for some tips. He's been at it for 20 plus years.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join