It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1940s +

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Does anyone know why after the 40s, UFOs are so common, I rarely read reports of UFOs before then, (except a few exceptions) and now everywhere I look I see UFO this UFO that.

I personally think that after the Roswell incident other people wanted attention and a place in media so they faked things, (once again except for a few exceptions) what are your thoughts on the sudden UFO craze?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
After World War Two there were many more planes flying and people were starting to become interested in aircraft, atomic weapons, rockets and technology. It makes sense they would start suddenly seeing unexplained things in the sky.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by typwar

They pretty much became part of popular culture.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Assuming that some of those UFOs are alien spacecraft, one hypothesis that makes sense to me is that sightings increased after we started detonating nuclear devices. It's sort of a turning point, I'd imagine, when any species develops the capability to exterminate all life on the planet. I understand there have been several reports of UFOs monitoring or even interfering at nuclear missile/reactor sites.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
Assuming that some of those UFOs are alien spacecraft, one hypothesis that makes sense to me is that sightings increased after we started detonating nuclear devices. It's sort of a turning point, I'd imagine, when any species develops the capability to exterminate all life on the planet. I understand there have been several reports of UFOs monitoring or even interfering at nuclear missile/reactor sites.

I agree with this, I actually read of a military base having their nuclear weapons being stolen by UFOs! We need to stop making Nuclear weapons and save the planet!

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Don't forget about the Foo Fighters that were reported by fighter/bomber crews during the war itself. Digging through the mountain of links dedicated to the popular band isn't easy, but stories can be found previous to the nuclear test detonations.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Good point. I wonder if the huge increase in radio (electromagnetic) broadcast in the early 20th might be considered. I was just thinking, and perhaps this is human-specific projection, that one of the things a star-spanning civilization would do is set up a network of monitoring stations much like our SETI receivers. Perhaps it took a few dozen years for early radio signals to reach such a network, and response/investigation increased around WWII. And when they saw the development of nuclear fission devices (an event which might be predictively extrapolated from the development of radio), things stepped up even more.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
There were events that we would call UFO flaps and waves before 1947, such as the "phantom airships" of 1896-97 or the "mystery fliers" of the 1930s. There have been things that we would call UFOs now throughout history, although the majority of them probably went unrecorded. Only in fairly recent times would anyone have associated these with alien visits to earth since almost no one before the last 100-200 years would have had much concept of life existing on other planets, much less coming here for some reason.

In World War II and afterward, there was a big jump in technology, such as jets, missiles, radar, nuclear weapons and so on which caused more people to think in these terms. If we have come so far, so fast, then maybe alien civilizations are even further along, even if these might also be qualitiatively and quantitatively very different from life on earth.

There has been a theory for many years that this rapid change might also have attracted the attention of ETs who were already monitoring earth to step up their efforts greatly, especially during and after World War II when events were taking an extremely destructive turn on earth, possibly even planet killing.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by witness63]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
It's simply because most UFOs are made by Germans.
Just use the search function or Google and look for "Nazi UFOs" and/or "Neu Schwabenland".
ATS has enough topics about them.

They have been ridiculed many times, but no one has been able to debunk them.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Turiddu
After World War Two there were many more planes flying and people were starting to become interested in aircraft, atomic weapons, rockets and technology. It makes sense they would start suddenly seeing unexplained things in the sky.

Or, the explosion of nuclear weapons made ETs more vigilant.

that kind of debunker righteousness to me is no different than the righteousness of religious fundamentalists!

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by 19872012

Originally posted by Turiddu

Or, the explosion of nuclear weapons made ETs more vigilant.

that kind of debunker righteousness to me is no different than the righteousness of religious fundamentalists!

This is a post made in jest right?

My explanation makes much more sense than aliens being attracted by nuclear weapons.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Well like the poster already said, there have been more sightings since Roswell. This would make sense for several reasons.

If a flying saucer really did crash at Roswell, then maybe we have made our own version of them. This could be one reason for more activity.

Of course we also have the German ufo theory as well.

It could also be the simple fact that we now report things much more then we use to. I would not report a ufo today, and I definitely would not report one before the 40's. They would lock me up in the nut house.

And like others have said, it could have to do with the fact that we now have nukes.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
From my point of view and based on my ideas about aliens and UFOS. It would make sense that at key times throughout recorded history strange events are seen in the sky. Either after 1940 or prior. Simple google searches can discover these sightings dating back to cave paintings. Its almost as if at every technological leap there is an increase in UFO activity and the number of sightings and legends about beings from other worlds.

It does not surprise me there are far more sightings now due to that just being perspsective. This is the age of multi media, you can also correlate that to there being more music available now then before 1940 and more books available upon release due to how everyone is constantly in touch thanks to the internet. It just seems like there are more now then before but there were as many before as there are now its just there was no interenet newspaper etc to catalog them. Same thing with weather saying there are no UFOS is like saying there is no weather reports prior to 1940.

Thing is that something is out there and their way ahead of us so dont count on some average shmuck catching one on their cell phone camera. Also there will NEVER be disclosure. Never in a million years. The only way anyone is going to find out anything is when someone in the government grows a pair and smuggles out the evidence and documents. Seems like they are all still content with their low paying gov jobs and in a desperate job market and economy are not taking chances. Someday a hero will emerge with the evidence we have been waiting for. At the same time it might not happen because people who work for the government or military are typically simpleminded individuals who lack the ability to figure out a way to pull it off due to their inferior intelligence. I know alot of people will hate hearing that but it has to be said. Its not a bad thing simple people are what make humans human afterall, it just is what it is so I hope people dont take that last sentence the wrong way.

top topics

join