It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exotic New Mars Images From Orbiting Telephoto

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

A new batch of sharp Martian close-ups from NASA's HiRISE camera were released on September 1. HiRISE (High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment) has been circling Mars on the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter for four years now, taking dramatic photos of the red planet with a telephoto lens to make any paparazzi jealous. The camera can focus on objects the size of a beach ball from more than 180 miles away. Wired.com

HiRise

HiRise 236 New Images

Bullseye Crater

Aram Chaos Mineralogical Variability

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/646b6d4fcc4c.jpg[/atsimg]

Active Dune Gullies in Kaiser Crater

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0316c26f1766.jpg[/atsimg]

Persistent Northern Plains Ice Deposit Monitoring

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a379d0032e20.jpg[/atsimg]

---------------

Check out the HiRise website to view all 236 Images.

To me it's incredible how many different landscapes Mars has. It seems that every one of those 236 Images, are of a different terrain.

Man, I wonder what it would be like being able to walk some of those. Im glad I have a good imagination.

-Enjoy.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Oozii]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
WOW! astonishing images!!! whats with the blue in sections of the crater? Youde think mars was all pink orange and red?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Is the big "hill" in the bullseye crator the reminance of whatever struck there? I was thinking that it wasnt but i dont understand how???

MOTF!

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

Usually, when a meteorite impacts the surface of a moon or planet (and it's a large enough impact) it will make the enormous crater. In the center of the crater, after the meteorite had completely disintegrated (or at least very little was left) it would normally leave a raised feature in the exact spot where it hit. That picture doesn't really look like what I am explaining but it could be the reason. Sadly, I forget what that feature is called...My astronomy classes are failing me.

All of those pictures are crazy by the way
I want to go on a tour of Mars now. Big thanks Oozii!

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
oh wow! look at those 'glass tunnels' in the second image / sarcasm.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

Yeah i'd think the same.

@ philosearcher; thanks for giving an explanation. I wish I knew more, if any, about Mars, or science for that matter. But being here long enough will teach me lots.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Awesome images!

I can't get enough of pics like these and I'm sure it would be absolutely awe inspiring to actually walk on the surface of Mars. I'm sure these pictures don't even begin to give the terrain the justice it deserves.

Would be a real trip to be there in person.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

Yep, I can't get enough either. Im glad we have Satellites with the capability of taking picture's like these. And im sure we'll find and create better technology that we even be taking close picture's of Mar's and other planets awell.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
This looks fantastic.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oozii

A new batch of sharp Martian close-ups from NASA's HiRISE camera were released on September 1. HiRISE (High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment) has been circling Mars on the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter for four years now, taking dramatic photos of the red planet with a telephoto lens to make any paparazzi jealous. The camera can focus on objects the size of a beach ball from more than 180 miles away.

Yet they can't show us one photo of the flag on the moon? Must be a tiny flag...

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
WOW! astonishing images!!! whats with the blue in sections of the crater? Youde think mars was all pink orange and red?

It's a false color image.

Scientists often use false color to accentuate different materials. That makes it easier for them to see certain items better, because they use contrasting colors that "stand out".

Blue highly contrasts with the reddish brown hues of Mars, so blue is often used in place of the sandy yellow color. If they used the "approximate true colors" then the parts that look blue in that image would not stand out as much against the other materials. It would be harder to see the details in the image.

[edit on 9/3/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by realeyes
Yet they can't show us one photo of the flag on the moon? Must be a tiny flag...

Here's Apollo 17's flag:
lroc.sese.asu.edu...

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Not to stir the pot (too much) but wow, this pic just screams fake to me...although because of that reason, it probably is 100% authentic:

(click on the thumbnail to see what I mean)

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

To me it's incredible how many different landscapes Mars has. It seems that every one of those 236 Images, are of a different terrain.

Then I suggest you take a look at all the 15903 available at the moment, there are really thousands of amazing photos.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

The colours, although not real, are not that different from reality, at least when compared with the Mars Rovers' photos.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
wow very detailed and interesting pictures here. i think it is great that we are getting more and more advanced telescopes out there. it is amazing to me that fifteen years ago we knew so little about space, and now we have photos of distant planets some of them hundreds of light years away. i was walking home last night and for some reason i paused to look at the stars and i got a mean case of vertigo. i was looking up at the north star and venus and just trying to wrap my mind around the size of it all and i felt like i was on some kind of roller coaster or something. it is just kind of weird standing on what appears to your primitive senses as the side of the world, and the way our minds are wired we aren't exactly supposed to be able to do something like that, it's almost like walking up a wall. really blows and boggles the brain under certain circumstances am i right? imagine how it must feel being shot up into space and the unknown with a small layer of metal separating you from thousands of gallons of rocket fuel. i would probably soil my space suit. apart from the deadly radiation and dangerous asteroids and black holes, space must be a pretty cool place. just imagine the view

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Then I suggest you take a look at all the 15903 available at the moment, there are really thousands of amazing photos.

Oh, that should be fun.
Thank's for posting the link. I've already started from the end . Gotta say that they look more brighter.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Thanks for the preview of the September HiRISE images. I'll take a look at the new pics..and get back to ya.

Zip Monster

top topics

join