It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to whittle some wood? get 5 slugs to the chest..

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by butcherguy

Everybody should call the cops with tips like "there's a man here at the restaurant with a knife!"

Do it every chance we get. Bog the cops down with the stupidity of imbeciles and paranoia of stoned sheep.

Any one of those diners could snap at any minute. We just cant take that chance. Think of the children.
I think that is a fine idea.

Funny thing is, from the cops that I know, most of their shift is spent on 'nuisance' calls, at least that's the way they see it.

Looking at this story, who was the dangerous person that shouldn't be carrying a weapon? Yet there he is armed to the teeth, with the blessings of government officials!

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

So.........I cant have a knife in public w out someone freaking out? Or i cant have wood in public? wait, which one is it?

So what if someone has a knife out in public, was he chasing people with it or threatening anyone? or was that piece of oak his only victim?

Seriously , and why would the cop approach him anyway? he wasnt doing anything wrong...

Man if that was enough to scare the cop, I bet people like him would crap there pants to know that i carry a concealed pistol every where i go.....

And with cops acting like they have been..........its no wonder we have to protect OURSELVES

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

All of our absurd law stacks come from this.

It's illegal to murder or assault somebody. Yet murder and assault still happen.

So we say okay, lets make it illegal for people to have any weapons that could be used in murders and assaults. Guns are generally the easiest to go after first so we make them illegal.

Okay murders and assaults are still happening.

Lets get those knives. The scary ones are pretty easy to go after.

Murders and assaults are still happening.

Okay, lets regulate kitchen knives and decorative POS 'swords'. Doesnt matter if nobody ever gets filled with those POS 'swords' we just have to do something.

Huh, murders and assaults are still happening?

Bats, and sticks. Let's get those next.

People still getting murdered and assaulted? Geez. Now what?

The morons who vote for the morons who write the laws cant seem to notice the pattern. God bless them they keep on trying. Like ramming a locked door with your head. Sure you've passed out more than once and there's lots of blood in your eyes but maybe you just havent rammed it hard enough yet. God forbid you take a different approach. Just keep ramming it with your head.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

I don't know what brought all of it about, but I often whittle small pieces in public settings with no problems. Usually someone will ask me what it is that I am making, I will say it is a puzzle, endless chain bracelet, etc.

If anyone was ever afraid, they never gave me any funny looks or anything.

I think some people don't deserve to carry a badge or a gun, this cop seems to be one of them. If the average Joe citizen shoots someone that has a knife and claims self-defense, the knife wielder needs to be within arms length and constitute a threat to the other persons life. Cops seem to have a different set of rules.

About twenty-five years ago, a cop shot a mexican migrant worker in Temple, PA. The migrant worker had a knife in his hand, but was thirty feet away from the cop when he shot him in the chest with a .357 magnum. Dead when he hit the ground. The cop told him to drop the knife, and he should have. If I, as a 'regular' citizen had done what the cop did, I would have been given a lengthy jail term, I feel confident in that.

Like I related before, that cop better stay away from steak-houses if he is afraid of people with knives!

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Yeah, if you want to see 'silly', just look at a knife catalog!

Certain ones say, "Not for sale in California, New Jersey, NYC, etc...", yet if you go in any K-Mart in those states mentioned, you can buy an equally dangerous knife in the kitchen section!

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man That being said, why not simply put the knife down and show the cop that he was not a threat. Standing up and continuing to wield the knife wasn't the smartest thing to do.

For all we (or the Officer for that matter) know this guy might have had this same routine everyday or every week. It probably never even occurred to the poor guy that he was a concern whatsoever to the Officer. He was likely trying to figure out what the Officer was going on about, again, it all took place in one minute.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
That being said, why not simply put the knife down and show the cop that he was not a threat. Standing up and continuing to wield the knife wasn't the smartest thing to do.

I suppose the cops taser was just a little too inconvenient to grab in such a heated, rapidly escalating situation.

The whittler never saw or heard the cop.... in fact he was deaf. And it only took less than a minute for the cop to draw his weapon and murder the whittler. seattletimes.nwsource.com...

Plus the cop wasn't carrying a taser, and even if he did have one he would probably still have murded the whittler.... Little old men don't take taser's to well.... AND there was no heated, rapidly escalating situation!

The whittler probably never knew what hit him....

[edit on 3-9-2010 by imitator]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by imitator
The whittler never saw or heard the cop.... in fact he was deaf. And it only took less than a minute for the cop to draw his weapon and murder the whittler. seattletimes.nwsource.com...

Plus the cop wasn't carrying a taser, and even if he did have one he would probably still have murded the whittler.... Little old men don't take taser's to well.... AND there was no heated, rapidly escalating situation!

The whittler probably never knew what hit him....

the taser comment and the rapidly escalating comment were sarcasm, as indicated by the rolling eye emoticon

So, the guy was def....I get that. But are we to believe that the cop wasn't face to face with guy? Was he shot in the back? The article clearly says he was shot in the chest.

[edit on 3-9-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

The guy was looking down whittling.... you don't look around and whittle or you loose a finger... and if your deaf, your not going to look up to see if someone is yelling at you. Plus this happened so quick... This is a trigger happy cop who needs to be put away for murder.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Funkydung

Since whittling with a knife isn't illegal, the cop created the situation that lead to the mans death.

Was the man dumb for not dropping the knife? sure. But the point is he shouldn't have had to drop the knife in the first place because the officer was wrong to challenge him about to begin with.

The man was not legally obligated to drop the knife since he wasn't doing anything wrong with it.

Given the facts presented thus far, cop should be tried for murder.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

I've said it before, and i'll say it again.

This is why good coppers get killed.

If i were one of the many thousands of decent, law abiding peace officers, i would want to go along and kick seven bells of crap out of this absolute tossbag of a cop.

He's a murderer, and a thick one at that. He's not only extremely dangerous to the public (obviously) but he's just made it extremely dangerous for the majority of the good cops, out there.

He'll get away with it of course, these arsewipe excuses for human beings always seem to, regardless.

Terrible for the murder victim and his family and friends, my sympathies go out to them.

What's the murderers next official business going to be? Stroll into a steak house with an automatic, and mow all the diners down for wielding threatening steak knives?

[edit on 3/9/2010 by spikey]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Well, just to add to this typical "cops are killing innocent people" hysteria from people who clearly don't know what they're talking about -

One of the sales people in my office witnessed the whole thing. She came into the office shortly after it happened. She was quite shaken up. She said that the cop yelled at the guy to drop the weapon several times. The guy kept coming at the cop with the knife held up - not innocently whittling or anything else. She said that the man looked agressive to her. Then the cop shot him from several feet away before the guy could get to him.

The man, John Trouble Williams (yes, his middle name literally is Trouble), has a long criminal history including theft, criminal trespass, indecent exposure, etc. and a history of alcohol related problems.

So a horrible tragedy that took the life of a talented - yet troubled carver, yes.
A deliberate murder of a man who was doing nothing at all by the Nazi SS elitist racist murdering cops, no.

There has been a tribute page made for him here:
www.findagrave.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tallcool1

The guy was carving, there is no doubt about that. In the news video it showed the object that he was carving laying on the ground. The lady in your office conflicts with the seattletimes.... I have no doubt this is a trigger happy cop.

I think your office lady thought he looked aggressive because he is homeless? And she didn't know the man was whittling, that explains why she saw the knife being held up, as he was really carving wood... and the whittler was deaf, that explains why she heard the cop yell.... The deaf man didn't comply because he was not aware that he was the target.

The guy may be trouble, but he didn't deserve this trouble....

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

Story seems to be changing. From what I can tell, Officer Ian Birk may very well end up losing his job and being put on trial for this one.

I'm in no way prepared to join the ridiculous police bashing, however. By and large, police are upstanding public servants deserving of respect and gratitude. Occassionaly stories of the bad ones attempt to overshadow the majority of good officers out there. Of course, the same can be said about any profession. To attempt to paint all officers with a negative brush because of a few bad ones is as justifiable as major racial profiling.

Except the "good" officers by and large KNOW of the corruption going on and do NOTHING about it.

The only thing more evil than a bad person is a good person who does nothing to stop evil. The bad person causes the problem and commands the problem, but the good person allows the problem to proliferate.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by time91
Why does this not surprise me at least a fraction? Power tripping psycho just decides to kill some guy. The only difference is it used to be contained to rascist cops killing black people. But most old people still think there was less crime in their day.

Add that to the trend towards a near military police force, and this is bound to happen more often.

I think you maybe taken this far too far, if you have a knife, police officer states drop it, you dont, get up and advance towards the officer with knife in hand and repeated calls to say drop it fall on deaf ears, your going to get your self shot, it basic self defence on the cops part, how would you feel, what would you do?, dont be too quick to come to any conclusions that the cop was out to just kill people

Wee Mad

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
You would think, that even if you killed someone doing something obviously criminal/wrong, you could manage a couple days without pay while they investigate. It's not like cops going around killing many people over the course of their careers. It'd give em something to think about as well, regardless of whether the killed person acted right or wrong.

Cops act like they are in a club. As such, even if a good cop wanted to improve quality by calling something out, the cops would turn against you. Cops by and large are not going to say "Fantastic work Joe, you tattled on us and now the public is going to get much better service!". They care about themselves and their crew, that is where their interest and loyalties are. It's the same with teachers/administrators in most schools. It's a club, and the students are an afterthought. You'll hardly see a teacher advocating for students, trying to get change to better serve students. It just doesn't happen.

[edit on 3-9-2010 by ghaleon12]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
First, let me say..this cop is an idiot, period. Now let me explain a few things about the lethality of knives even 3 inches long. If you confront an individual with a knife that's within 12 feet of you and he intends to do you harm, he can and will be on you in exactly the amount of time it takes to upholster your weapon. believe it or not, IT IS POSITIVELY TRUE! I was shown this in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS, in the academy. A very sharp 2 INCH KNIFE can in a slashing render you unable to fight back or live if that person knows what he is doing with a blade. Don't ever underestimate anyone with any thing that can be construed as a weapon. It will get you hurt at the minimum and dead at the maximum!

Zindo

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by tallcool1
Well, just to add to this typical "cops are killing innocent people" hysteria from people who clearly don't know what they're talking about -

What else is there to know? It was all documented by the Officer and witnesses. And yeah, Police Officers are killing people. It's in the news every other week, at least.

Is it a training issue? Is it a cultural mind set? Is it systemic to our collapsing Republic? I don't know. But questioning it is most certainly a citizen's right, if not duty. They are there to serve us. Or at least, I should say, they used to be...plus we pay them with our tax dollars.

I, for one, won't be cowed by terms such as "hysteria" or "police-bashing". I'll call it as I see it - case by case - and demand accountability for our civil rights and from our public servants..

Anything less than that and we are a click or two away from Third World Country status, IMHO.

[edit on 3/9/2010 by kosmicjack]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by imitator
reply to post by Aggie Man

The guy was looking down whittling.... you don't look around and whittle or you loose a finger... and if your deaf, your not going to look up to see if someone is yelling at you. Plus this happened so quick... This is a trigger happy cop who needs to be put away for murder.

Of course the cop needs to be brought up on murder charges and tried by a jury of his peers. However, let's not act like def folks are helpless and feeble. The def people I know compensate for their disability by heightening their other senses...including vision.

Hmmm...def guy whittling on the corner of a city street. Nah, no reason for him to be looking around and be aware of his environment. I guess if the def guy had spun around in his chair and accidentally stabbed someone, then it would have been understandable because he didn't hear them approach from behind.

From the OP article:

The officer told the man to drop the knife several times, police said, but instead of doing so, he stood up. When the man refused to heed to his commands, the officer opened fire and hit the man.

Seems to me that the guy saw the cop, yet refused to drop his knife. NOT SMART!

Bottom line, both parties were in the wrong here. BUT the cop was more wrong by using excessive force....or at least, overkill.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
the question i always ask myself when i see one of these cops doing things like this is...what would happen to me if i did what the cop did....what would happen to me if i came up to this guy and asked him to put his knife down and when he didnt do it i pulled out my gun and shoot him 5 times in the middle of downtown? or what would happen to me if i entered an elderly couples home without permission, attempting to kidnapp the old man, then using deadly force on him when he wants to go to bed. (i know its been shown in another thread but here it is again) i would end up in a cage for say about 20 years no questions asked.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join