It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tank takes a direct hit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
well i am not sure if this video has been posted ,without a title i could not perform a accurate search , however if it has ,then mods feel free to teminate the thread thank you ,

now it did cross my mind ,if the WTC buildings were brought down by Thermite ,and or a rocket as some people might clame or even having a plane loded with what ever was in this rocket ,i can see how people might think its possible

anyway

enjoy

and sorry to bring the 9/11 thing into the mix it was just a thought in my head ,and i do not wish for this thread to turn into a heated debate about the events on 9/11 , if you can remain calm and talk respectfuly then i am all for it ,but please NO FIGHTING!!!!

Nephi

www.liveleak.com...

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Nephi1337]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
was that just a typical RPG or was it some special type of missile? Must have just hit the fuel compartment or something if it was just an RPG

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
It could have been any one of a number of wire-guided anti-take missiles. Similar to the US TOW system. And the fireworks are from the onboard ammunition storage as it is ignited by the much smaller missile detonation.

Some call it 'brewing up'.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephi1337

at first i thought "nothing is going to happen", then holy #, was i wrong! what is the weapon that is fired, any idea?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
It was a BILL Anti-Tank missile, which flies above the tank and fires a shaped charge down through the thinnest armour, the top. The secondary explosion is the ammo cooking off

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
are you sure ? it looked like their was some kind of theirmite mixture in that missle ,if it was other munitions cooking off wouldent they explode ?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nephi1337
are you sure ?

Yes

it looked like their was some kind of theirmite mixture in that missle

No, why do you think that? It was a shaped charge

if it was other munitions cooking off wouldent they explode ?

No, as propellant is not a high explosive

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
now that is one place you do not wanna be

ever

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Thermite isnt usefull in AT missiles because it needs to be contained together. A driving tank would ruin things badly.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
sick video my cuzen was in the army and i saw a lot of stuff like that
but that was definatley thermite the was it just eruppted defo thermite

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Wrong.
Even if it was thermite, how do you suggest it covered the entire hatch seal? From a top-down attack?

No, that was the hot gases inside escaping through the seal after they began cooking off.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Thermite... Methinks that just because the fireworks looked like a thermite experiment from the TV does not mean that the death of this tank involved that particular aluminothermic reaction.

Fact is that when a tanks armour is penetrated there is a good chance everything combustable - including the shells - will burn.

Regards

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by dereks

I have to say I think you are wrong on your assessment of the weapon used here. You are obviously talking about a system along the lines of the Javelin:

Javelin Missile Test

You can clearly see the extent to which such a missile climbs vertically upon being launched. The original video clearly shows a wire guided missile such as the TOW, Milan or Spiral.

If you watch the video closely you can clearly track the missile all the way from launcher to target including seeing several direction changes. It's not quite possible to see the exact point of impact but probably aimed right at the turret ring between the hull and turret.

Definitely looks like ammo cooking off.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by cheesyleps
reply to post by dereks

I have to say I think you are wrong on your assessment of the weapon used here. You are obviously talking about a system along the lines of the Javelin:

Javelin Missile Test

You can clearly see the extent to which such a missile climbs vertically upon being launched. The original video clearly shows a wire guided missile such as the TOW, Milan or Spiral.

If you watch the video closely you can clearly track the missile all the way from launcher to target including seeing several direction changes. It's not quite possible to see the exact point of impact but probably aimed right at the turret ring between the hull and turret.

Definitely looks like ammo cooking off.

that's might be true. agree with your analysis

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Yep shaped charge with the first stage of brewup.

There is little flash with a shaped charge warhead.

Then the propellant in the on board ammo goes up.

What it does not show is after the heat of the burning propellant gets high enough any HEAT or other explosive rounds cooks off blowing the turret of the tank into the air.

This is why the M1A1 tank has a separate ammo compartment with blowout panels and blast door to protect the crew and let the brew-up vent in a safe direction as the crew bails out.
This compartment also has a halon fire-suppression system to keep down the chance of secondary explosive rounds explosions.

with a M1 tank a little welding, sand blasting, and a few new parts and they can put the crew back in an they are ready to go.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   

I have to say I think you are wrong on your assessment of the weapon used here. You are obviously talking about a system along the lines of the Javelin

No, the missile in the video is a BILL RBS 56

The original video clearly shows a wire guided missile such as the TOW, Milan or Spiral.

The Bill is wire guided
www.army-guide.com...

It's not quite possible to see the exact point of impact but probably aimed right at the turret ring between the hull and turret.

No, it explodes above the turret

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Top Attack doesnt necessitate a missile flight path from the top.Many anti armour weapons like the BILL pass over their intended target and shoot their "warhead" downwards.

The innate physics of a HEAT warhead make it independend on the speed and heading of the "delivery vehicle".

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
The missile hit the tank from the front. I know that because you can see the missile on its way there... It actually makes contact right between the top and bottom sections.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Apparently it was a Syrian tank during a test. At least that is what utube says. It looks like a Javelin and if so has a shape charge as the deadly package. Mythbusters had a segment where the burned a car with 1,000 lbs of thermite. Not very spectacular. If people are looking at thermite as the tool used to bring down TWC then they are barking up the a wrong tree. People. including engineers who should know better, say that a jet fuel fire couldn't generate enough heat to melt steel. It probably couldn't but it could very easily generate enough heat to bring steel beams to the point of catastrophic failure. We believe what we want to believe so no amount of logic or science could ever refute those who want to believe Dubya and/or Massad had a hand in TWC attack. We love to take points of known fact and build elaborate scenarios based on leaps of faith, leaps of logic, supposition and conjecture. A lot is possible but not probable.

Originally posted by Nephi1337
well i am not sure if this video has been posted ,without a title i could not perform a accurate search , however if it has ,then mods feel free to teminate the thread thank you ,

now it did cross my mind ,if the WTC buildings were brought down by Thermite ,and or a rocket as some people might clame or even having a plane loded with what ever was in this rocket ,i can see how people might think its possible

anyway

enjoy

and sorry to bring the 9/11 thing into the mix it was just a thought in my head ,and i do not wish for this thread to turn into a heated debate about the events on 9/11 , if you can remain calm and talk respectfuly then i am all for it ,but please NO FIGHTING!!!!

Nephi

www.liveleak.com...

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Nephi1337]

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Dereks was right. It was a bill. The tank was unmanned and had a full munitions load. The after explosions are secondary munitions exploding.www.youtube.com...

Originally posted by dereks
It was a BILL Anti-Tank missile, which flies above the tank and fires a shaped charge down through the thinnest armour, the top. The secondary explosion is the ammo cooking off

top topics

<<   2 >>

join