It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: God didn't create universe

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Visitor2012

actually science and religion should be in harmony with one another..it is modern man who has put the separations in there...once you combine science and religion and learn to live in harmony with the planet..you dont need to wait to experience an evolution within yourself!

it's called discovering the world yourself not having others do it for you!

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Just accepting this as truth would make just as much sense as accepting that God created the universe.

"The universe wasn't created, it just happened."
But why? How? I don't think we're anywhere near the answer.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by The Empty Skies

the answer is quite simple really! infinite! if you could scale the universe down you would find something much larger if you coul scale that down you would find something much larger...infinite!

the old saying "we might be in the belly of a giant bird"

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

It's not fact, it's a theory.

Congratulations you are the winner of my daily Face Palm award:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b3b3705652fd.jpg[/atsimg]

Look up the scientific definitions of theory and fact. The Big Bang theory, Atomic Theory, Evolutionary Theory. These are all examples of scientific theories.

A theory in science contains facts, observations, hypotheses and laws. It is a framework for a broad idea in science and is not used in the colloquial sense of the word. A fact in science is not the same as the layman term, a fact is merely a point of data.

In the most basic sense, a scientific fact is an objective and verifiable observation, in contrast with a hypothesis or theory, which is intended to explain or interpret facts.

Source

The Big Bang would never be promoted to "fact".

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

I don't think you understand what he meant. Either that or I didn't understand what he meant lol.
Let me quote this to you:
"The universe isn't stranger than you suppose, it's stranger than you CAN suppose".
How can anyone try and understand questions as big as "is there a god" with our tiny little brains?
Science is just as dumb as religion because with its shear arrogance it pretends to know what's going on in this crazy situation we call "life".
So if quantum physicists finally prove that "M theory" is correct and there are 11 dimensions and vibrating strings, will they say "that's it! that's all there is!"?
Not a chance. It will ask more questions than it answers, just like scientific discoveries have always done because the more mysteries it solves, the more mysteries it finds.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Poor shmuck is still trying to figure out the Infinite with a finite mind.

You see, this is the problem with religious people. If you think you have a finite mind, then inevitably you have a closed mind. When you believe that anything is TRULY possible, you have an open-mind - an imagination of infinite possibilities. Wouldn't you agree Skyfloating?

Limiting your consciousness and knowledge base to criteria defined by some stupid moronic religious or spiritual belief, is just self-destructive.

What Mr Hawking is doing here is positing the idea that creation could be truly random - intersections of multiverse, creating anomalous gravitic effects that eventually coalesce into enough energy to spawn a big bang.... the theories are endless - just like the possibilities. The arrogance religious 'people' display in telling everyone else that their idea of a 'God' creator being the only solution is staggering.

How dare you refer to one of world's greatest, most open, and enquiring minds as a "schmuck"? You let your religious tendencies cloud your contributions far too often.

Parallex.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Parallex]

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Parallex]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
As an Atheist, it cracks me up how much weight other ATheists put on this guys words. Really, God was unneccessary? Gee I figured that out years ago and you don't need a PhD to arrive to that conclusion. Be wary, fellow Atheists, of getting behind a man, or a mans ideas. It's a good way to find yourself jumping off a cliff, trying to keep up with the pack.

How unneccesary is God? As far as the creation of cosmos goes, don;t need him. Moral compass, not needed. He's not even required for religion itself. Most religious people aren't "talking to God" they're LISTENING to men, fallible, corruptable men.

The only thing required, is an open mind, and the ability to resist the pull of the "Easy Way", which is to let someone else fill your head with regurgitated metaphysical mumbo jumbo.

Find your own way, it's the only way that is correct.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Steven Hawkins is a mathematical genius. He is not that smart at looking at observational evidence. Black holes, Dark Energy... Common.... There are tons of articles on the internet that disputes these theory’s. Truth is we cannot conceptualize a dimension that is above ours. Like a fish in the water analogy. It cannot comprehend what life is like on land, and such. Same goes for us and the universe. Maybe in 100 years, maybe more. Another questions arises. What/Who created gravity?

milesmathis.com...

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Maddogkull]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Is it just me or is anyone else getting slightly fed up with Mr Hawking trying to be the smartest guy on the planet with answers to everything about the universe? And whats worse is that most sheeple believe him.

I pose this question to Mr Hawkings...

PROVE IT!

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
so the idea of "God" is too far fetched, but the idea of 11 dimensions and invisible strings is not?

Hawking is, and always has been, a total idiot.

People call him brilliant because he is a cripple. Put his ideas and philosophies in the body of a normal man, and NOBODY pays attention.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod

PROVE IT!

I pose this question to you...

DISPROVE IT!

[/Religious counter-argument mode]

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

DISPROVE IT!

The burden of proof lies with you and Hawking, not the critics. You're the ones making assumptions with no science to back them up.

But go ahead and keep investing stock in that idiot Hawking. Just don't get upset when people laugh at you for it.

Smartest man on the planet my ass.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Snarf]

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Snarf]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

whats the difference between the beliefs of religious sects and hawkings theories?

answer: hawkings theories has "FACTS" backing them up!

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
so the idea of "God" is too far fetched, but the idea of 11 dimensions and invisible strings is not?

Hawking is, and always has been, a total idiot.

People call him brilliant because he is a cripple. Put his ideas and philosophies in the body of a normal man, and NOBODY pays attention.

"Who let the bigots out? WHO? WHO? Who? Who? WHO?

Who let the bigots out? WHO? WHO? Who? Who? WHO?"

[Sung to the tune of "Who let the dogs out?" by the Bloodhound Gang]

Yes, the idea of GOD is far-fetched because some muppet in a cave somewhere decided to call himself the 'saviour' of mankind and demand obedience and sacrifice from those around him.

All Stephen Hawking did was ask questions, and posit solutions.

Now, if you're done cripple-bashing I have some tea to drink....

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalholic
reply to post by Snarf

whats the difference between the beliefs of religious sects and hawkings theories?

answer: hawkings theories has "FACTS" backing them up!

Thats funny...i have yet to see a single fact, not one, emerge from the theories of Stephen Hawking. Not a single one. Show me, show US, a single fact.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

Now, if you're done cripple-bashing I have some tea to drink....

Nobody is cripple bashing. Im idiot bashing. People only think Hawking is brilliant because they pity him for being a cripple.

Thats it.

Do you care to discuss the implications of his crippled nature, or are you going to take the easy way out of the argument and pull the cripple card?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
My dear friend,

Is it just me or is anyone else getting slightly fed up with Mr Hawking trying to be the smartest guy on the planet with answers to everything about the universe?

Mr Hawkings doesnt need to try and be the smartest guy on the planet, he is ONE of the many who are. He's a mathematical genius, wheather he try's to be or not

And whats worse is that most sheeple believe him.

There is nothing wrong with having a belief in someone as powerful as his mind is.

Be safe be well,

Spiro

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex

PROVE IT!

DISPROVE IT!

[/Religious counter-argument mode]

Parallex.

Read some of these.

milesmathis.com...

milesmathis.com...

milesmathis.com...

milesmathis.com...

milesmathis.com...

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Maddogkull]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

the point is, is that the universe is the god we couldnt comprehend and since every atom and every cells in our body is a part of that universe that we couldnt fathom as humans, how much more of the macrososm part?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

gravity! now show me a fact that god exists!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join