It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking.....Coast Guard responding to oil rig explosion in the GUlf of Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Not again. How can this be?
I have a feeling this like thi first one will only get worse as the days go on. I am beginning to suspect we (in the south) are doomed. I feel like there is no other solution but to move from Florida. There is something quite sinister going on.

www.foxnews.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

GRAND ISLE, La. — An offshore oil rig exploded Thursday in the Gulf of Mexico, and the Coast Guard was responding to reports of people in the water.

The explosion occurred west of the site of the April blast that caused the massive BP oil spill.

Coast Guard Petty Officer Casey Ranel said the blast was reported by a commercial helicopter company about 9:30 a.m.

Seven helicopters, two airplanes and four boats are en route to the site, about 80 miles south of Vermilion Bay along the central Louisiana coast.

Ranel said it hasn't been determined whether the structure is a production platform or a drilling rig or whether workers were aboard. Ranel says smoke was reported but it is unclear whether the rig is still burning.

Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer John Edwards said crews were responding to reports of people in the water. It is believed there were 13 people on the rig; one was reportedly injured and 12 were OK but not rescued yet, Edwards said.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by tdatreefrog]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
REALLY... wtf
If this is actually happening right now I am speachless...
how and why?
I don't think the south will be alone in that boat

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Holy crap. Not again. It isn't owned by BP, so maybe the cleanup and fix will be more competent. I really hope so at least.

eta: CNN says it wasn't doing any production, so there might not be a leak involved with this....fingers crossed.

[edit on 2/9/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
This is a shallow water production rig. Not as bad as the BP rig but still not good for us down here.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Add to existing thread

Thanks

CLosed.

top topics

join