It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coast Guard responding to rig fire Gulf of Mexico; people reported in water

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Coast Guard responding to rig fire Gulf of Mexico; people reported in water

www.nola.com

Five helicopters, two airplanes and four boats are en route from Coast Guard stations in New Orleans and Houston, Ranel said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
content.usatoday.com

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Very odd that we now have another oil rig issue going on right now in the gulf. Could we have another BP rig situation on our hands?

I can only think maybe this was another distraction placed to pull from something else going on in the world.

This story is very new and reports are still coming in as far as I am seeing.

www.nola.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
No way...
I mean no way!
This just can't be happening.
It's a nightmare within a nightmare!

Hope and pray people - hope and pray!

peace

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
This rig explosion stinks of foul play.

Atleast its rather shallow though, only 450 feet deep.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This article has a map

Oil Rig Explodes in Gulf of Mexico

90 miles south of Vermilion Bay

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e4bd4b5b9278.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 2-9-2010 by MegaMind]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Additional reporting in NYTimes:

www.nytimes.com...

A commercial helicopter company reported the blast around 9:30 a.m. CDT Thursday, Coast Guard Petty Officer Casey Ranel said. Seven helicopters, two airplanes and four boats were en route to the site, about 80 miles south of Vermilion Bay along the central Louisiana coast.

The Coast Guard said initial reports indicated all 13 crew members from the rig were in the water. One was injured, but there were no deaths.

The platform owned by Mariner Energy (NYSE:ME) is in about 2,500 feet of water, the Coast Guard said, and was not currently producing.

Is it a trend, a fad, or just "painted rust syndrome"?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Seems to be rather selective closing of the threads that are all about the new oil well fiasco. How is it decided which threads to close and which to leave be when they are about the same issue?

This happened to me with the Deepwater Horizon leak. My thread was closed then a couple days later they created an entire forum for the subject...

[edit on 2/9/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Oil rig explosion reported in Gulf of Mexico

"Colclough told CNN that authorities are trying to determine the cause of the blast, and that the rig apparently is still on fire. Asked whether a leak has resulted from the explosion, he said the rig "was not actively producing any product."

Well I am not sure if I believe this. If it was not a drilling rig, why the explosion? I don't know a lot about platforms, but would there be any fuel/natural gas/oil stored on these things?

Also the rig/platform is reported to be owned by Mariner. Mariner Energy facility on fire in Gulf

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Its Ok mate,mine just got closed too-think the first to appear stays,rest get shut.No worries.

Anyways,has anyone got any interesting info about "Mariner Energy?"
Heres a list of their head honchos:

www.mariner-energy.com...

Just speculating,but this could be some kind of inter oil company war,as companies jostle for more power after the BP deepwater catastrophe.
Probably(and hopefully)not though,just an idea.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Very interesting. There are now conflicting reports of the depth of the water. Some are saying 450 ft and others 2,500 ft.

The BP rig was not in production yet, correct? They were still drilling and trying to get things finalized when that issue happened.

Just seems a little strange that this is happening.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Well call me a conspiracy nut...oh wait this is ATS. Heres the thing, BP is supposedly opening the well head on the Deepwater TODAY, to get the supposed malfunctioning cut off valve up to investigate its failure. There was a quick mention of this this morning on the news while I was having coffee. They mentioned that "a small amount of oil" would be released in the process.

Much like the shallow water boat strike of a well last month, the "nutter" in me sees situations like this present one as awfully convenient for BP, when and if further remuneration is battled over in court. "But judge, we can site at least 2-3 other well breaches within "x" period of time, how can we be held liable for all the oil being found in the gulf?" Yup I can hear it now, just you wait and see, you cant prove beyond a reasonable doubt that BP is responsible for "all" the oil in the gulf.

Im so tired of greed and corruption

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Ok I found this,probably nothing but it appaers that Mariner Energy had a lawsuit filed against them in April this year:

On April 21, 2010, Chimicles & Tikellis LLP filed a class action lawsuit (the “Complaint”) in the Court of Chancery against Mariner Energy, Inc.

chimicles.com...

Now I ain't so good at decoding "law speak" but I understand someone is pissed off with Mariner Energy for doing some kind of merger with another company...I think.

Any Law speakers out there-help me out please-could this be significant?
Like say a motive for some other company to wanna harm their operations?

Just trying to find an ATS conspiracy angle here folks!

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowfoot

Man I like your angle on this!
BP could benefit from other wells exploding so in future lawsuits its impossible to judge exactally how much is down to BP!

The literal "muddying of the waters!"

That would surely make it very difficult for the court to place a figure on the damge caused by deepwater.

Good theory Shadowfoot.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowfoot

Great thought on the situation! Like I said there is something going on today that needed to be bumped from headline news and this seems to fit the bill.

Also in addition many people are emotionally connected to the BP disaster and this only fuels the emotional attachment. Just the same as when 9/11 happened and the news stations kept playing the plane hitting the tower over and over and OVER again.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I like this bit from the BBC report

Before being rescued by the support boats, all 13 workers were given special immersion suits to protect them from the water

www.bbc.co.uk...

Special immersion suits to protect them from the water????

Can anyone say 'pollution'?

And we know why they may be deeply concerned about the state of the water.
If you don't know, I'll sum it up in one word.. Corexit.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Here we go again. Another deep water oil rig going up in flames. Another methane explosion. Very obviously another under water blow out. This time 2500 feet depth. Although no one has yet reported the obvious, nevertheless I speculate that this VERMILLION 380 [this one belongs to Mariner Energy based in Houston in Texas] event is perhaps every bit as serious a spill as was and still is the DEEPWATER HORIZON 250. How many more millions of gallons of Corexit dispersant are they going to put into and onto this new spill ?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
1 mile long, 100 foot wide Oil sheen from Mariner energy rig explosion spotted in water: Oil sheen seen near burning platform -Coast Guard

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CAELENIUM

This source is saying 340 foot depth (from AP)news.yahoo.com...

Still its a calamity at any depth.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Vodo34861

Anyone report that Mariner has Enron and BP ties yet. Because it does according to a google search.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Klaatumagnum

Sheesh why doesnt that surprise me
I am fairly certain every oil company is either in bed with each other, or at least sharing a bed every so often however...

Something does certainly smell of conspiracy ... theres so much going on in the world right now, its almost purposefully too large to get your head around it all to make one coherent "big picture"

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join