It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep Paralysis???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
hi, i wasn't quite sure where exactly to put this thread, so i think i'll put it here (can be moved if incorrect) anyway!

This morning, i woke up to an odd sensation, after some thinking i thought it to be sleep paralysis.. i had "woken up" and i couldn't move at all, this had followed a series of dreams which i cannot remember, in the last half hour, i looked up sleep paralysis but i don't seem to fit all of the symptoms, such as i didn't have any hallucinations and i couldn't open my eyes, i can recall myself shouting for help, but i'm not sure if that actually happened.

i remember thinking about a friend of mine, 3 months ago he had woken up and he hasn't been able to walk since, the doctors still haven't found it what it is but they think it may have been meningitus.. eventually i managed to pull myself out of it, or thats what i thought i did, it seemed as though one arm had came loose and i used it to "wake up" the other arm and so forth, i'm also not sure if i had this feeling once before that episode last night, although i think it was just pins and needles.

(ps. i do suffer from migraines and sometimes a lack of oxygen due to asthma, although i don't remember being breathless, about 2 hours ago i had a migraine so maybe i had one this morning to)

so, im 90% sure it was sleep paralysis, although it didnt quite match the symptoms! if anybody can explain what else it might have been, that would be a great help!

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Dude, I shared the exact same experience as you down to every word about a month ago while I was in turkey, Id been drinking the night before but yeh. Couldent move for #, opened my eyes, shouting at my girlfriend laying next to me trying to wake her up but no sound came out, only this small whimper I remember only I could here.

Bizzare, panicked, but I want to do it again, not panick and turn it into something else like an astral projection or something.

Crazy

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Zeropoint

i'm staying with my family for the time being, and everybody else in the house was out except for my much younger sister (she's only 12) she is a heavy sleeper but i'm sure i shouted loud enough for her to hear me

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Slim

i looked up sleep paralysis but i don't seem to fit all of the symptoms, such as i didn't have any hallucinations and i couldn't open my eyes

There are 2 types of sleep paralysis as far as I'm aware.

The first is CSP - Common Sleep Paralysis. This type of sleep paralysis is as the name suggests...Common. So common in fact that almost everyone will experience it at some point, some mild some not so much.

It’s harmless but can be quite frightening to someone who isn’t used to it.

It can last between 5 seconds or so up until a minute or 2 so if this is how long it occurred for you then it's possible that it was CSP. The inability to move is still present but from my own experience it doesn't seem to be too bad and you can eventually force yourself to move, on purpose or by accident as achieving this isn't exactly difficult as simple steps can be took.

The second type of Sleep Paralysis is HSP - Hallucinatory Sleep Paralysis. This is the one which scares a lot of people and is probably respoinsible for alot of the abduction stories we hear as again as the name suggests it causes you to hallucinate, sometimes terrifying hallucinations.

This type of SP also lasts for a lot longer, maybe even up to 10 minutes or so adding to the fear.

So maybe you did experience ce SP, maybe you didn’t but I just wanted to clear this up for you.

Also you was talking about symptoms so out of curiosity what other symptoms occurred for you and what were the circumstances in which they occurred? What I mean by that is were you awake for example? Did you wake up and immediately have SP or the inability to move should I say? What position where you in when the inability occurred (Something as simple as lying on your back can induce SP)

Hope this was helpful in some way.

ETA: This may be an enlightening link for you.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

as far as i know, i was lying on my back, and i'm sure i was awake, as far as i could sense things around me, although i couldn't see, and i could hear myself shout, i'm not sure if i was "blind" as such, it was unexplainable, whether that counts as a hallucination i'm not sure? i also think when i could move and when i opened my eyes i let out a yelp of some sort (embarressed haha)

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Slim

i also think when i could move and when i opened my eyes i let out a yelp of some sort
(embarressed haha)

Been there, Done that.
lol

When it first started happening to me, admittedly I was freaked out to say the least because I had absolutely no idea what the hell was going on, I was confused as to why I couldn't move and I was just scared to be honest. Then I immediately assumed it was something paranormal which I later found out is false. (IMHO)

But As I was struggling to move and struggling to talk I eventually came out of my SP and then let out a "noise" we'll say lol

Similar to what you said in fact, so it sounds like you experienced SP to me. (could be wrong ofc.)

Also, from you wrote I'm assuming that this didn't last very long for you which assuming this is SP in first place, it sounds like a Hypnagogic form of CSP (Hypnagogic meaning you was awake when SP was induced – the opposite of that being Hypnopompic Sleep paralysis meaning you woke up into an immediate SP))

So to stop SP occurring it might be a good idea to maybe not sleep on your back, follow a set sleeping pattern and reduce stress if possible.

Also when SP is happening, just try to at the very least Relax and let what’s happening, happen naturally.

Hope this is helpful!

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

thanks for your input, surely will help if it happens again, i must admit, i wasnt exactly thinking "this must be sleep paralysis!" i was thinking some thing more like "what the hell is wrong with me" minus all the swearing :p

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The video is fake. I don't know about the practice of burying children but I can say with about 98% certainty that this video is entirely fake. Notice how NO ONE looks at the camera? They even throw in a couple artsy shots of the camera being buried under dirt, for cathartic effect.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Son of Will
The video is fake. I don't know about the practice of burying children but I can say with about 98% certainty that this video is entirely fake. Notice how NO ONE looks at the camera? They even throw in a couple artsy shots of the camera being buried under dirt, for cathartic effect.

ummm WHAT?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
sleep paralysis has gotten me a few times, at 1st I freaked out and tried yelling and moving, not fun I tell you...

After a few times though, as soon as I "woke up" and could not move or talk, I just calmly spoke myself out of it, telling myself im still "asleep" and slowly tried to move my toes till I could... The thing is remember to just remain calm.

Still scares the **** out of me but at least I know how to deal with it

top topics

join