It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Double Take!! Chris Matthews Rips Obama's Teleprompter: 'I Think It's His Menace'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
If I didn't read the transcript I wouldn't believe it. Either Matthews is beginning to get the picture or he is just starving for ratings. This statement marks the second time in a week where he has expressed criticism for the man that makes his leg tingle.

Hmmm!

Chris Matthews on Wednesday laid into Barack Obama's teleprompter calling it "his menace."

Near the end of a "Hardball" segment about the President's prime time address to the nation Tuesday, the host said, "If he doesn't get rid of that damn teleprompter...He's just reading words now."

Matthews continued, "It's separating him from us."

And continued, "You go to a meeting with him I'm told, businessmen are invited to meet him at the White House, he hauls out the damn teleprompter, and he reads it to them."

"The teleprompter is a problem for this guy. I think it's his menace" (video follows with partial transcript and commentary):

Read more: newsbusters.org...

You know I distinctly remember several threads on ATS related to the overuse of Obama's teleprompter. I also remember being verbally assaulted for being critical of his over reliance on such a device.

Alright, now is your chance to criticize Chris Matthews for criticizing Obama.

Let the good times roll.

I still can't stand Matthews. However, you won't see me calling him the Antichrist or asking for his head on a platter either. It's best just to ignore him in a way that certain other on air talent should be ignored by those who don't like him.

I guess the main difference between these two people is that Matthews poses absolutely no threat to anybody.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

He's simply perpetuating the pantomime - by attacking Obama to feed the fake illusion that the Reps are a real alternative. Nothing new here, he's still the puppet of the Cabal.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen
reply to post by jibeho

He's simply perpetuating the pantomime - by attacking Obama to feed the fake illusion that the Reps are a real alternative. Nothing new here, he's still the puppet of the Cabal.

So, now Matthews is a Republican shill?

Wow! never saw that reach coming.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

When was the last time any of these people actually wrote their own speeches . How far back do you think you would have to go to find a President without a speech writer. I `m not being disingenuous here, i am honestly curious .

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
reply to post by jibeho

When was the last time any of these people actually wrote their own speeches . How far back do you think you would have to go to find a President without a speech writer. I `m not being disingenuous here, i am honestly curious .

I can understand reading from it for a speech but when you invite businessmen into the white house for meetings?? Say what you will about Bush's gaffes but at least he was entertaining without his teleprompter and not afraid to 'shoot from the hip'

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Doh, my 1st double post.......

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Anjin]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I don't see this as much of an issue. Off-the-cuff speeches are no longer in style, for a variety of reasons. Yes, they used to be popular, and yes they used to make people feel like they were being spoken to directly, but in a world where every word uttered by a politician is recorded and scrutinized 25 times over it's not realistic.

We have all seen what happens when someone says something private in the vicinity of a "hot mic" haven't we? There are political hacks and reporters who are literally drooling at the prospect that a high level politician will botch something in a speech. I think the prompter has morphed from something to help you organize a speech to a full fledged shield.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus

How far back do you think you would have to go to find a President without a speech writer.

My best guess... FDR. He did have staff for that but from what I've read he did insist on writing the majority on his own.

[edit on Sep 2nd 2010 by Djarums]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Teleprompters have their place for formal and noteworthy speeches. In other instances, perhaps an outline and some note cards could keep Obama in line.

Notice that when Obama is in his own controlled environment in front of a friendly pre-selected crowd he does not need a teleprompter.

The teleprompter is just enhancing his disconnect from the majority. People want to see who the man is. If he gets criticized, so be it. Criticism comes with the job. Obama is unable to cope with that little notion unlike so many presidents before him.

Obama is afraid to face the true public opinion.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I am going to tend to think this one is answer...

he is just starving for ratings

I wonder if he uses a teleprompter when he and Michelle engage in phone sex?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Matthews is a fool and barely anyone watches his show. He would have Obama's baby if he could.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Djarums

You are probably right, about FDR.

Teddy Roosevelt had a speech in his coat pocket when he was giving a speech during one of his runs on the Bull Moose ticket. An assassin tried to shoot him and the speech deflected the bullet.

new topics

top topics

join