It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution in Action: Lizard Moving From Eggs to Live Birth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
This is a great article from National Geographic. What do you think of this article profound feat in announcing evolution in the act?

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Evolution has been caught in the act, according to scientists who are decoding how a species of Australian lizard is abandoning egg-laying in favor of live birth. Along the warm coastal lowlands of New South Wales, the yellow-bellied three-toed skink lays eggs to reproduce. But individuals of the same species living in the state's higher, colder mountains are almost all giving birth to live young.

I agree with "thinkbeforeacting"

This is not evolution. This is an adaptation of the species to their environment. To switch from egg laying to live birth would require the genes to have the "program" to do so. What this scientific discovery actually shows is that there are sets of genes in place to allow the quick switch from egg laying to live birth. In another words, the quick switch only indicates that the species are able to switch the genes and new behaviors because they already had the ability to do (it is built into their genes). Now that's amazing!

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
sorry this is the wrong board! Can the mods move this thread please! Thanks in advanced.
I owe you guys.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Yep, definitely not evolution caught in action. If the lizard already had the genes required for live birth, it has the ability to switch between the available genetic code. That is still quite amazing that is has the ability to switch between egg laying and live birth though, quite a dynamic lizard that one is.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

That lizard is awesome. I wish I could by one and bring it to the U.S.
Lizards are amazing animals I tell you what.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
That article is amazing thank you for sharing it. It takes time to observe nature in it's entirety. So many different species to watch. When Evolution happens over such a large period of time it is amazing to witness it while it happens.

I am excited to see what the results will finally be of how the transition is made from the yoke and egg nutrients to a placenta that connects the fetus to the ovary wall. Such a little dude the yellow-bellied three-toed skink.

So they are basically studying the exact same species in a different environment. That is incredible.

The more evidence that is found to support Evolution the more people will accept it. It IS important to understand and see the reasoning behind evolution and observing it in action is a solid piece of data.

Making the transition from Intelligent Design to Evolution is in my opinion like making the transition from a Geocentric Model of the Earth Centered Universe to the Heliocentric model that (most) of us currently believe.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
How fascinating! I had absolutely no idea that there were creatures capable of switching their birthing methods so quickly. Thanks for sharing.

new topics

top topics

join