It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STONEHENGE was built by a Welsh family

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Found this recently, pretty interesting theory.

Could change a few views of this mysterious location:

"The discovery of an early Bronze Age grave, made by workmen laying pipes on Salisbury Plain, is further proof that England's ancient landmark is a Welsh export.

Chemical tests on the 4,300-year-old teeth of seven people unearthed on Boscombe Down, Wiltshire, show they came from South West Wales or the Lake District.

But because the stones are bluestone brought from the Preseli mountains in Pembrokeshire, experts say the remains almost certainly belong to people born in Wales, who were among Stonehenge's builders.

It is the first time human remains have been found that link the mysterious ceremonial site with the north Pembrokeshire origins of the 80 standing stones.

Dr Andrew Fitzpatrick, from Wessex Archaeology, who excavated the site, said, "In medieval times, people believed that the stones could only have been brought to Stonehenge by Merlin the Wizard."

Full Story

[edit on 21-6-2004 by quadricle]

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I read a while ago that the word 'Merlin' is actually a title as opposed to being the name of a person. This title is one given to a particular type of shaman.

With the new discoveries, it is quite possible that a Welsh shaman - a merlin ordered the building of Stonehenge. Hence the legends that 'Merlin' erected the stones.

Unfortunately I can't remember which book it was that I read this, so can't find a link. I'd be grateful if anyone found one though, as the idea is fascinating.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Yeah, i also read that in a book in Welsh class at school, but can't remember the exact details other then Marlin was supposinly a welsh man.. Bah, who knows..

Rather surprised that my ancesters created one of englands national landmark, quite surprised actaully when this was reported on HTV Wales...

I'll keep on eye on this story as it unforlds...

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I was told years ago by a history teacher that the Welsh were used as slaves to build it. I've never read this since, but it's stuck in my head. Have the Welsh ever been used as slaves? Was my teacher mistaken?

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
wouldn't be surprised that the welsh were used as slaves at one point in british history.. But, never heard of any cases though...

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Yes, I wouldn't be surprised. Historically speaking, the Brits weren't too cool to you guys. I had to ask because I've never heard of it anywhere else, except from this one history teacher.

top topics

join