It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Acid attacker: 'Hey pretty girl, do you want to drink this?'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by mr-lizard

It's not the guns. Is what the guns represent. Taking the initiative to defend yourself and be aware of your surroundings. Knowing that regardless of how many cops are on the beat and how many laws are on the books we are essentially still living in anarchy. Anyone can do anything at any time. Including throwing acid in your face for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Sure, that person may suffer some consequence if ever caught but the act is done, the crime is committed and you've already been made a victim.

Saying "gun" is a quick and dirty way to say all of that.

I'm sorry but i disagree - why should we have to live a life where your safety is only guaranteed on the idea that you are safe because you can blow somebody's head off? This is a step backwards in my opinion.

Incidentally, i can't imagine dragging a gun out of your trousers and shooting at someone is the first reaction i'd be doing if someone had thrown acid in my face. For one thing, my aim would be off and i imagine other people would get hurt.

I guess i can see your point in regards to maybe it being a deterrant, but guns are just another step towards a paranoid society - just look at America, where people shoot each other for stepping on each others property or where school kids shoot up schools.

Guns are not the answer.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

You missed the point.

It's not about the guns. It not about being able to blow somebody's head off. There is no such thing a safety guarantee.

The point is to know that, accept that, and live with that. Then you can prepare yourself. You dont need a gun for that. Some prefer one. Just be aware and able. The only person who can keep you safe to any degree is you.

Replace "gun" with "cheese sandwich" if it helps you to understand.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
If you ever see anyone with a glass cup walking towards you.. run.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
That person should have their face removed with a cheese grater.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Smack]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Sorry but the only way a gun secures your safety is if you were a pyschic and could know who was going to do something to you so you could shoot them BEFORE they did something to you.

Carrying a gun isn't going to stop someone from throwing acid in your face, punching you in the face or shooting you in the face, it's only going to let you get revenge after you have been harmed. The gun represents nothing as a gun cannot prevent anything from happening, nor can a human prevent anything from happening unless they have the knowledge of what is going to happen.

It's like the old saying "The police don't prevent crimes, they just clean up the mess"

The only way you could possibly prevent crimes from happening is if we lived in a minority report style world where the crimes could be predicted, but then if a crime hasn't been commited yet and only predicted is there really a crime in the now ?

Poor girl though, it's a shame there's pathetic individuals in the world who feel a need to harm others but it's societies fault and the reason why humanity is doomed to stay like this forever while society carries on the way it does

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Jesus Christ - why are people so obsessed with guns on this forum?

GUNS ARE NOT THE ANSWER TO LIFES PROBLEMS.

Perhaps because people are less inclined to attack you if there's a possibility you're armed.

What's so difficult to understand about wanting to protect yourself?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

Apparently you too missed the point. Or am I not being clear enough?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Trying to compare a gun with a cheese sandwich ?

Enlighten us on what exactly the point was you were trying to make ?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

Yeah because guns solve everything

Actually....they do

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
guns are necessary because guns exist. It can't be changed.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Im not comparing a gun to a cheese sandwich at all.

Read my posts. Slowly and repeatedly if you must. You're not understanding them at all.

I dont mind an opinion that differs from mine but this "differing opinion" isnt based on anything I've said. In fact, it is quite the opposite. Aside from your hang up on guns we've said very similar things. Perhaps your bias is fogging your comprehension?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

And how did you perceive me to have a hang up about guns ? I only stated the logic that guns aren't an answer to preventing crime, I got nothing against guns, I go by the belief that you can leave a gun in a room and it won't do a thing as guns don't kill people, people kill people and banning guns doesn't solve anything as the majority of gun related crimes were done with illegally obtained guns anyway so it doesn't solve anything.

Is the point you were trying to make related to fear factor and how if everyone had a gun criminals would be persuaded not to commit crimes ?

If not, then instead of crypticly veiling your point why not just reiterate it into something more obvious ? Because right now it doesn't make a point either for or against because of your wording as it seems your first point is being for guns to preserve safety and your next post seems to be against guns preserving safety so just wtf exactly is your point ?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I never said guns would have saved her. Or prevented any crime for that matter. There are far too many variables involved in a criminal v. victim scenario to claim any one thing could or would change the outcome.

I concluded you were biased based on your attachment to the word "gun" in my posts and taking the word completely out of context attributing to it a notion I myself did not attribute to it.

There is nothing cryptic in my posts. They are very clear. If something is indeed cryptic or hidden or even abstract I apologize for not being clear enough.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Even if she had been armed she most likely wouldn't have had time to react - she would have had to have the weapon in her hand at the time to respond. Its a dangeous world we live in!! Perhaps we should be allowed to show firearms in a holster - - I doubt someone would try a thing such as this if they saw the person had a gun - I don't know - its a Catch 22 IMO.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

It is too bad that the Canadian government disarmed the poor girl.

Had she been from an society that respects the right of individuals to bear and carry arms, the attacker might have decided to move to another victim - so as to not risk having his face blown off in attempt to ruin an armed person's face.

Stands up and CHEERS for this post! Thank you Exuberant1!

I was thinking the same exact thing a few days ago when a man here had the same thing happen - his ex-girlfriend was mad, pulled up beside him in the car, got out and splashed acid in his face.

He'll be blind for life.

How sick is that...

peace

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Smack
That person should have their face removed with a cheese grater.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Smack]

that's a terribly cruel thing to say. That person is just a human being like you or me with their personal flaws. Who knows what kinds of things she's gone through her whole life to make made her think she could feel better about herself by throwing acid at someone else's face? Being tracked down by police, getting arrested & going to jail is the last thing a person like that would need right now. She should be offered help, support, & forgiveness. Such people need compassion & mercy from their victims and others around them so they can develop into better individuals.

Its would be pretty heartless & inconsiderate of us if we all just judge this person & want her to just face punishment

The victim can just get a plastic surgery done to fix up the damage to her face. Its not like somebody poured acid right into her anus or vaginal opening to make her squirm to half-death. I've heard of worse things. Something like that would have given her & her family a good reason to be whining so much about as they annoy the media.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I would personally put an end to people such as this. I am in favor of removing people such as this from the human gene pool.

I don't give a # if the victim died or not.

Sub-human scum such as this do not deserve life. But Lord know's she'll probably get a stern talking to by the judge and be released.

And I don't wanna hear and liberal bull# about her childhood either.

"Well you see, when she was little, her mom yelled at her, and spanked her, and didn't buy her the Malibu Barbie that she wanted.."

They can take a flying you know what through a rolling donut with that #...

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Darkrunner]

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Darkrunner]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Okay, this thread is about a young lady getting acid thrown in her face; it's not about the gun control laws of the U.S. and Canada. Can we please remain on topic.

Thanks,
gallopinghordes
forum mod

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Sadly this happens more than we know about,

At 18 years old i suffered a very similar attack,
I was walking home after baby sitting my sisters children no more than a 5 min walk from my home,

A man walking past me asked me if i had a light, He had a cigarette in his mouth unlit and i was walking along with a cigg,

So i pretty much thought i had to really, could not really say no as i had the cigg in my hand,

As i went in my bag to get my lighter out, the man smacked me hard on top of the head, I fell he grabbed my hair and threw something in my face,

The next thing i know i felt burning and stinging in my eyes and then it hit me.. I smelt bleach,

He ran off with my bag, And i have no idea how but i got up and ran myself home, I knew there was something wrong as i could not see in one eye and the other was so blurry i could barely see my way,

I got home and and ran to the bathroom and got in the shower, My family came running in to see why i just ran in to the bathroom and they called the police and ambulance,

It was confirmed there that it was bleach,

I WAS LUCKY! I was blind for about a month but my sight came back fully in 1 eye and enough to get by in the other,

As for preventing this? Im not sure there was a way, I am not weak, I can fight well, Im fully trained in 3 kinds of martial arts, 1 being Black belt in Akido,

I was always alert to such things and had a handbag full of bits i may need like pepper and "naughty" a pocket knife (Yes i know we are not allowed them but heck if it may save my life then tough)

But there was no time for me to do anything to protect myself no matter what i would have had,
Its a question that i fight with everyday since that moment, What could i have done....

But still i dont think there was a chance for me to have changed the outcome other than never stopping near enough to someone who asks me for something in the street,

[edit on 2-9-2010 by asala]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by killyou

I cant quite believe that your post is real. Can a person honestly be as forgiving as you appear to be? Im astonished!

The link on boo1981's post on page 1 shows how it can be beyond the capability of plastic surgery to repair injuries like this.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join