It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Alternative to Banning?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I have been looking around and searching through banned members. Perhaps I have a subconscious self destruct tick that pushes me towards taboo topics, and in light of that, I am not making any accusations, just posing a question, as allowed in this forum. Though perhaps I am wrong and this is in wrong forum, or not forum worthy.

Now, I'm not sure if I understand the whole process of ban-mentship, and it appears there are certain degrees of being banned. I recently U2U'd a banned member, and it appeared to go through, so perhaps they can U2U. We don't often get insight into what caused someone to be banned, which almost opens flood gates into curious minds. Regardless, before I get off topic, and possibly say something inapropriate, my question/propsition, if legal.

Would it be possible, if defined in the ATS T&C, to fine a member, instead of marking them Banned? I feel that people change over time, and someone who is well liked, could go off the deep end, and get banned. So perhaps also realize their errors, and be fit for membership again. I feel if we Banned Banning, and went with a different form of punishment, there would be less contraversy over topics that have warranted Banning. Plus, we wouldn't have ban/curious members testing fate, and trying to push buttons to get to the bottom of the "Mystery," that the MODS seem to not even think is an issue.

Well, I hope this thread is looked at and considered, if not all of it, maybe portions.

Before I end this OP, I understand that there are laws and what not, but i wouldn't know if any apply to something like this. I know I wouldn't test fate too much, if I knew it was going to cost me. Though I suppose if the member couldn't afford it, they could opt banning regardless.

[edit on 1-9-2010 by Myendica]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
Would it be possible, if defined in the ATS T&C, to fine a member, instead of marking them Banned?

Fine a member?! I think you should be banned for proposing such an idea.

[edit on 1-9-2010 by cluckerspud]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

sometimes my ideas arent the best, but perhaps the money raised for fines could go towards a better game..

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

You should be fined and banned. Send me a u2u so I can let you know where
to send my money. Afterward?! Be gone.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Let me see if I understand - a fine - like as in pay money?

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

well something that goes against someone, instead of banning them. Like perhaps even a tag along side everyone of their posts.

I suppose my initial thought was money, correct, but the more you all hate me for that thought, I suppose not... but, if the point of banning is because ATS tries to stay the pinnacle of forum sites, and so needs to keep certain personalities at bay, I'm just suggesting, isn't there another way?

[edit on 1-9-2010 by Myendica]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

There already is (warn) below some names on the left. You can click on them and see what they were warned for. This reminds me of a death penalty debate. How many chances do we give someone before its time to just pull the trigger, flip the switch, hit the key, etc.,

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by time91

I was unaware of this warn. I have seen it before though. Thank you.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I dunno how I feel about the fining thing. Well I guess actually I do, I sure wouldn't like it and it sort of smells like intimidation.

But at the same time, I wouldn't mind paying something for a better game.

I think if it was ALL an ATS Mod and Admin creation, the game would have been much better -- and less anti-climactic.
I haven't been left hanging like that since my ex-wife

Sorry for going off topic. I don't think the fine thing could fly. Then people being fined would REALLY be calling "conspiracy"...

Anyway, it seems like they could by-pass it like they do with banning now. Just use a different email address and username...

[edit on 1/9/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

haha... Yea I suppose. I think I am just against banning. Like I said, with lack of info, it just makes some people question, which leads to all the threads attacking ATS in the first place.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
The Major is intrigued by the thought of an alternative punishment to banning. The Major never has quite enough recruits for latrine duty. Nothing will ingrain civility and decorum like a protracted stint knee deep in numero uno y dos.

The Major is quite sure that a steady stream of sanitation assistance would be the result of this new policy.

The Major is also sure that the recruits will have difficulty in differentiating between the object of the imposed punishment and the U.S. Political Madness Forum.

Dismissed.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Major Discrepancy

Thanks Major! I think..

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Alright then - here's my 2 cents

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
ATS Terms and Conditions of Use are very easy to follow. Don’t break them and you won’t have any problems with being banned.

Please add any further suggestions to the ATS/BTS What would you like to see in the future thread.

Closed.

top topics

join