It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your current favorite military in the world?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by NeutronAvenger

The Golani Brigade, as well as the IDF now train in HAGANAH instead of hisardut and krav ma-caca. Im not being a d-bag just updating you.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
It has to be the Indian army for me.
Best hats, best facial hair, and the best silly walks in the world.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by psyko45

Yes, I understand about hisardut, I was just stating defense systems created by, plus I was originally enlisted.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalM

Im not familiar with the Australian SAS, I thought that was a Brittish unit. More info please. I wasnt referring to speciffic units but a military as a whole...cooks and typists included. If we were talking about only specialized fighting units..the US Navy Seals would be my pick as the most well rounded warriors in the world. The best killers would have to be Rangers. The best humanitarian force would be the Green Beret. The best fighting EMTs would be Air Force Para-Rescuemen. The best pilots would be the Israelis (this is a well known fact), Then the Brittish SAS and US Delta force would be nearly tied in thier specialty.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by psyko45

As far as I understand, Britain, Australia and New Zealand all have SAS forces.

Also, has anyone watch the show on Military Channel called "Weaponolgy", that is quite interesting. The whole of season two was about elite combat forces and their history and technology.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

You were enlisted in the IDF? Thats pretty cool. I give hisardut and Krav ma-caca some credit but I am an elitist scumbag when it comes to martial arts and combatives...I truly meant no offense. The Israeli military is continually updating thier self defense techniches as battles ensue..HAGANAH is designed to be an ever evolving set of tactics..anyway Im getting off subject, Its good to meet you.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

You have an unhealthy liking and obsession with facial hair!

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Im fairly certain the Brittish SAS (special air service) is a unique and solely Brittish unit. Check out WIKI.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by psyko45

The New Zealand Special Air Service (NZ SAS) was formed on 7 July 1955 and is a Special Forces unit of the New Zealand Army modelled on the British Special Air Service (SAS).

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Guess youd have to be tough if you went around acting like that.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by psyko45

There is definately an Australian SAS and I'm almost certain a New Zealand SAS too.
There are very close links between the three and I understand they share quite a bit in ways of knowledge, training etc.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

You have an unhealthy liking and obsession with facial hair!

It's not just with facial hair, I also have an unhealthy obsession with funny hats

Judging by your avatar you like both of these things too

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Very cool. Im positive that these are some very bad dogs. Thanks for the info. They are definitely the type that I would want fighting along side me.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

They all are derivitives of the original Brittish SAS are they not? I was reading that some of the founders of the Aussie and NZ SAS were actually prior members of the Brittish SAS. Pretty neat stuff.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
British & Aussie SAS, followed by U.S. Navy Seals, the IDF Mossad black ops crews & USAF Nighthawks (anyone that can night jump from 30,000 feet has to be at least partly badass)...

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Being a former Marine i would have to say that my favorite is the United States Marine Corps.Semper Fi.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The US, hands-down...

RANGE-planes, subs, carriers, ships, missiles etc., all extend the country's range to the entire globe

RESPONSE TIME-carriers can bring a portable air base to be within distance of any potential threat, and numerous bases in numerous nations around the world ensure a vital supply line anywhere, for rapid response.

SIZE-while lacking the sheer numbers of something like China, still an impressive force, especially in relation to the population.

TECHNOLOGY-the most advanced arsenal on the planet.

TRAINING-one of the best-trained standing armies in the world.

DEDICATION-all volunteer force.

Not to say that many other nations don't have excellent rankings in many of these categories, but across the board, I think the US has the advantage in each one (except size, although including size when thinking of nuclear arsenal and variety of response craft). The US' weak point is that it is spread, as the armed forces are involved in so many different police actions, etc. throughout the world.

Of course, with nukes in the equation, one could say it's all a moot point...but I'd like to think that we'd use such a response as a very last resort... Still, we're the only nation that has actually USED them on an enemy...so we bear both the burden and responsibility of this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join