It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Methadone & its use as a chemical cosh

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I heard quite a disturbing story tonight from a friend who works in an English prison.

He was a bit reluctant to even discuss it, but he's got huge concerns about a heroin substitute called Methadone which is widely used by thousands in the UK to get them off heroin.

He says Methadone is being used routinely on English prisoners ... to improve their behaviour. And it's being used on prisoners who aren't even heroin users, it's being used on guys who are aggressive & unruly but who otherwise have had no contact with heroin whatsoever.

In his opinion, these guys are finishing their sentences & being discharged as drug users. And so bad are the side effects of Methadone, these poor men are being actively told by prison staff to go onto heroin as soon as they are discharged, that heroin is the lesser of two evils.

I could hardly believe what he was saying. Guys are going into prison drug free & coming out drug dependant ... and it's officially sanctioned by the state. Kinda took my breath away. I haven't the slightest doubt what he says is the truth, either.

Has anyone else heard of methadone being used to subdue unruly prisoners in the prison system ?

** Please do not discuss the personal use of heroin or methadone in this thread, thanks. **

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
That is absolutely CRIMINAL! What's nearly as bad is that here in the U.S., methadone is increasingly being given to people with chronic pain who have become dependent on opiate painkillers like Vicodin, NorCo, Oxycontin, etc. The problem is, people become just as strung out on the methadone - totally dependent on it - to the point they will lie and "doctor shop" to get more than they are supposed to be taking.

It's just awful how many doctors are turning pain patients into addicts here. We get so many of them in our crisis unit [at mental health, where I work], it's unbelievable. These people aren't mentally ill, but when they get cut off, they panic and become suicidal. They will do ANYTHING to get more. Many end up homeless, in jail, or dead because of their MEDICALLY-CREATED addictions!

People need to wake up and inform themselves about ANY drug they are prescribed. Don't assume that just because a doctor gives it to you that it's a good choice. With the advent of the internet, there's no longer any excuse for ignorance.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Well I had to read your OP just to get an idea of what "cosh" meant.

But to use methadone on prisoners for behaviour modification is unethical in my view.

How do they get away with it??

BTW when I was prescribed Vicodin several years ago, I admit I refilled the prescription a couple more times after I really needed it. It is too easy to get to liking some meds too much, even when used for valid reasons.
To force someone to use an addictive drug, just is not right.

[edit on 1/9/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Sorry re the "cosh", means a truncheon, stick used to beat people with, to subdue them.

Maybe an Englishism, apols.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Out here in Holland they are now giving chronic heroin addicts , heroine instead of methadon. This was in the news last week, they do it because heroine is not as bad for your health then methadon.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
They don't call it "Liquid Handcuffs" for nothing.

I was on methadone for close to a year several years ago. I used it to get off prescription painkillers and tranquilizers. I wouldn't recommend it to ANYONE!

Alot of private companies get grants from the government here in the US to run their little drug operations. It's just another tool for control.

The withdrawals from methadone can be horrendous and they can last for months.

Incidentally, I came off of it cold turkey (from a rather high dose) and promptly went on vacation to England. My boyfriend was driving, thank goodness, but you guys drive on the wrong side of the road and the whole time I was going thru this terrible withdrawal I felt like I was on this roller coaster that I could not get off. (England is awesome but I'd like to return under different circumstances some day).

I did manage to get off all drugs but it wasn't because of the methadone. If a thing that is inanimate can be considered evil, methadone would fall in to that catagory.

It doesn't surprise me that it is being used in prisons in England but it surprises me less that they use it here in the US. It's a tool for control and it works on most people who take it, very well. If you know you have to stay in line, stay off other drugs and stay out of trouble to get it, you'll be doing just that. It doesn't take long before the drug will stop getting you high, but by then your hooked to one of the most powerfully addictive drugs out there. It was also recommend to me at the time that the easeist way to get off of it was via heroin. Common knowledge amongst methadone addicts.

new topics

top topics

join