It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

organizing your neighborhood.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
where i'm visiting right now has an awesome thing going.
a buddy of mine decided year ago that he was tired of not knowing anybody. he organized a bbq and dropped off invitations to the whole neighborhood. not big, just about 40 houses in the mountains outside of albuquerque.
the first one only had a few people show up.
this saturday night is the monthly get together and basically everyone shows up.
pot luck kinda' deal, just a good neighborly time.
there's huge positives to this, they have compiled a list, where all the older folks are in case of an emergency, where the single mothers are, who has what as far as tools and equipment etc.....
the best thing about it is everyone basically leaves their personal politics at the door, discussions are common, but people have realized that when it comes to an emergency or tshtf everyone in the neighborhood is taken care of.
many now have cb base stations and ones in their vehicles. check in time is around 6 when everyone is home from work.
the running joke is that this is now a neighborhood militia, which in a small sense isn't to far off.
most are armed, many are like minded about stashing resources. just about anything can be obtained in a matter of minutes.
about a month ago, one of the older gentleman sliced his hand and part of his arm open with a lawnmower blade. was sharpening it on a grinder and slipped. he got on the horn and within minutes a doctor from up the street was there to help.
if none of you reading this have ever considered who is around you it's time to do so.
at least walk next door and meet the old lady you never talk to, give her your number and tell her to call if she ever needs anything.
please.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
You know, you're right. When hurricane Fran came through this area in 1996, I remember walking outside the next morning and there were trees down everywhere. Some of our neighbors had trees on their roofs and across their driveways and streets. Most of us were outside walking around in a daze and not one of us knew each other, but for a casual wave as a car drove by. But, we soon began helping each other move tree branches and those with chain saws soon cleared a roadway and some roofs. After 9 days of no power, we had all shared the contents of our freezers with each other, and celebrated as one when the lights came back on.
Now, not one of us speaks to the other, except for a casual wave as someone drives by. Funny how it takes a tragedy or disaster for some neighbors to come together!

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jdb51

in my opinion, being friends is not the same as being friendly in a neighborly sense.
that's actually a great explanation of what i'm talking about.
i'd like to see everyone organize in a way before disaster strikes.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I think this is a great idea. I'm sure it's been said before, but S and F for you!! Hope this gets some attention. As awesome as it is to sit here and chat with ppl on the computer, knowing your neighbors is critical in this day and age. Bravo!

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

I love it when group think turns out for the best...good on your friends, and I hope this becomes a trend in these sh!tty times - send a message to TPTB and let them be reminded of history and how The People can be a formidable adversary...

If you find the time, read this book:

bowlingalone.com...

Then........share it or pass on the information to someone you deem worthy.

Thanks for sharing...

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ThatDGgirl

thanx, he gets all the credit, but actually got the idea from me.
years ago i had a cabin and some land in montana. there was only about 6 other properties in the whole garnet range where people lived full time.
we all got together and did the cb checkin thing.
nobody went hungry, got stuck for long or ran out of firewood.
the rancher down in the clark fork valley got wind, and even though he didn't like all us freaks living up on the mountain, he volunteered his services.
when my buddy was visiting, a neighbor lost control of his truck, it rolled, he went out the door, and the truck landed on top of him.
the entire tank of gas leaked all over him, burning him severly.
it only took about 15 minutes to get everyone together, and the rancher showed up with a backhoe to pull the truck off my friend. he was lifeflighted to missoula, and survived.
when we showed up he asked for a gun, wanted to end it.
there's more stories, but that says what i want to, it can be life or death in certain situations.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Fabulous idea. jdb51, you're so right! We didn't meet our neighbors until hurricane Isabel blew through our town and knocked down some huge trees and took out the power for 9 days. We made some friendships then that have lasted 7 years now - still going strong.
Our neighborhood really has come together since and we've managed to get several things accomplished that none of us could have done alone. It was my privilege to act as our neighborhood association president for 2 years until I developed health issues. When that happened there was always someone I could call on for help if I needed it and many times I did. It's very practical to know your neighbors but the camaraderie is something that still amazes me at times - even though our politics, religion and ethnicities are of a wide variety we all get along great and have fun.
This saturday I have to move to another town. I am really gonna miss those wacky people in my old hood.

top topics

join