It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leggo My Ego

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Sorry. Changed my mind...

[edit on 4/9/10 by Astyanax]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

It is simply allowing one's self to be in harmony with an indifferent universe as opposed to struggling against it with the mind. And the end result of this is the mind, the ego, and everything about us is left free to exist in its natural state ... in fact, naturalism.

Does any of that make sense?

Sense? My vorticist psyche is vexed! Now, where did I leave my anima?

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Your story sounds as though you know the difference between 'wants' and 'needs'.

People's 'wants' are many, but their 'needs' are few. It's liberating to get rid of everything and start over.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenNum287119327
reply to post by Aquarius1

Your story sounds as though you know the difference between 'wants' and 'needs'.

People's 'wants' are many, but their 'needs' are few. It's liberating to get rid of everything and start over.

You are correct, my wants are simple, good health, a comfy bed to sleep in and food to sustain me. My wish is that everyone has that. I will admit the one thing I have that I don't need is my PC but since I am an avid information junkie it would be hard to live without it, what is interesting before the internet I was able to get information through networking the old fashion way and connecting with like minded people, much of what you see today has been around for a long time and some think it's new.

Thank you for replying.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

Now that's profound.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I supposeb duality dictates that your take requires an opposite, even if it is built with straw and not the thought of this thread.

this may be a flaw in human nature. we consider and entertain the validity of the three divisions of the psychoanalytical theory that introduces and incorporates the ego, superego, and id. three, not two. yet social engineering institutions and cultural belief systems (monotheistic religions) continue to support dualistic ways of thinking.

we are willing to accept the three divisions of the psychoanalytical theory, but we are only viewing these from a dualistic perception, a dualistic point of view. and this is continually re-inforced by mechanisms with our cultures, and traditions that are deeply rooted and fundamentally interwoven into our intrapersonal and interpersonal interactions amongst ourselves. we hold fast to the dualistic ideologies, while trying to contemplate the three divisions of the human psychi. maybe there is a flaw in the way we think. but i could be wrong about that.

dualism has a name for it. trinity may have connotations, but reinforces the singular train of thought where dualism dictates dualism, not monotheistic singularism, while the truisms of psychological scientific research supports .... "tri-ism" for lack of a better word, does a word exist to describe such a thing?

just some thoughts i had about the dualistic nature of humanity,
et

[edit on 4-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Now that's profound.

I think that I still remember fairly well the guru Astyanax's four great aphorisms:
  1. Timing is everything.
  2. When words and actions disagree, pay attention to the actions.
  3. Do unto other as you would have them do unto you.
  4. Don't expect them to do it back.

There was something about "silly beans" too, wasn't there?

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The author of this thread is speaking on ATS LIVE at this moment and time.

I'm listening SDog!

peace,
et

edit to add:

VERY WELL SAID!

[edit on 4-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

That's pretty good.

The second one is 'trust', not 'pay attention to'.

But I took it down for a reason. I wish you hadn't decided to play paparazzo.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
"What did you say about waffles?" - my girlfriend's reply to a statement about the ego.

my reply....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0dba1cc8b047.jpg[/atsimg]

Edit because i'm still a format nOOb @ ATS

[edit on 9/5/2010 by deadruby2006]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Sorry if this has already been posted but I just have a question.

Without the Ego, can we have a sense of self-worth?

I can't help but think back to Ayn Rands Anthem. Nobody in the town was allowed to learn the words "I" "Me" "Mine" "My" etc so nobody could have an ego.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Just a little suggestion what the "ego" could actually mean:

The Eight Circuits

...2. The Emotional-Territorial Circuit (Freud's Ego)

Imprinted in the toddling stage, concerned with emotions, domination and submission strategies, territory etc. The first imprint on this circuit identifies the stimuli which will automatically trigger dominant, aggressive behavior or submissive, co-operative behavior. This circuit is activated with abundant quantities of alcohol. This circuit appeared first in territorial vertebrate animals. This circuit introduces a 2nd dimension; up/down...

I don't think we should "kill" the ego (as many propose) but to push it aside a little. It could be something like controlling the emotions a bit more. But on this board, I don't really see this as an issue (except maybe from time to time).

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tryptych
Just a little suggestion what the "ego" could actually mean:

The Eight Circuits

...2. The Emotional-Territorial Circuit (Freud's Ego)

Imprinted in the toddling stage, concerned with emotions, domination and submission strategies, territory etc. The first imprint on this circuit identifies the stimuli which will automatically trigger dominant, aggressive behavior or submissive, co-operative behavior. This circuit is activated with abundant quantities of alcohol. This circuit appeared first in territorial vertebrate animals. This circuit introduces a 2nd dimension; up/down...

I don't think we should "kill" the ego (as many propose) but to push it aside a little. It could be something like controlling the emotions a bit more. But on this board, I don't really see this as an issue (except maybe from time to time).

That is interesting. Do you have some linkage for further perusal on my part?

You guys really don't know me. Nor do most of the people in my life. My wife and kids, maybe. I am horribly impatient. HORRIBLY.

But i can pretend really well.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Sure.. but if I told you who invented the whole system, would you still be interested?

deoxy.org...

That's the future (or the reality) of the human mind IMO. The only thing that bothers me a bit is that it's maybe a little too specific. I think that the mind is a little bit more abstract than that, but for the most parts I agree.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Tryptych

Ahhh....Tim Leary.

No, he doesn't make me queasy. He was either a genius, or a misguided genius. In either event, his writings are a worthy read.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Well, it's either a set-up (as my christian friends would point out), or...
He is here! ego doesn't matter anymore - it's how we adjut to work in group formations.
F..k knows...

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I wish you hadn't decided to play paparazzo.

Buddhists are the same as KFC.

Soon, we will intrude into the temple.

[edit on 9/7/2010 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

The video you posted is an example of group formation staff, I can't adjust I am suffering,...

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stateless Person

The video you posted is an example of group formation staff, I can't adjust I am suffering,...

Oh dear, my conflict averse terrestrial compadre, alas, we are still forming and storming, not norming and performing. There are few signs of progress of ever making it past the first two in great numbers.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
i was reflecting upon some of the things in this thread and had a thought i think is worth sharing.

mandatory expectations placed upon members of society, aka: LAWS.

if we removed all the words that denote or have connotations to ego out of the laws, how would that effect us?

i mean take all the "selfs, me's, ownerships, I's, and individualisms" out of our laws then maybe ego would control us less?

i still agree with the OP about ego reserving us from knowing the will of intent concerning the id and superego, but the laws seem to support ego by incorporating chosen rhetoric, i believe.

just some thoughts,
et

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join