It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keeping a car running after Nuke/EMP situation.(Help!)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Hi folks,
Just popping by the mighty survival forum in the hope of you folks helping me put together an essential parts list of what to put into an faraday cage to keep my car alive in the event of a nuke/solar EMP.

I have managed to collect a few parts already,which I believe may need replacing after such an event:

1.ECU(engine control unit-computer)

2.Coil Pack

3.Fresh Battery-is this needed?

What else do I need to put in my Faraday box?
Car is a MK3 Golf/Rabbit,petrol engine.

Thank you for any input.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
My advice would be to buy something simple with a Diesel engine and no electronics like a Toyota Hilux pickup

I have seen an episode of Top Gear where they dumped one in the sea and set it on fire and it still ran with no spare parts being fitted, just tightened up the battery terminals and turned the engine over to get the water out!

Here it is

[edit on 1-9-2010 by davespanners]

[edit on 1-9-2010 by davespanners]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I always wondered about those 'spare parts.' If an EMP can fry an part in the engine why can't it fry a part sitting in the garage in a box?

This should be an interesting thread.

FWIW:

Another "myth" that seems to have grown up with information on EMP is that nearly all cars and trucks would be "knocked out" by EMP. This seems logical, but is one of those cases where "real world" experiments contradict theoretical answers and I'm afraid this is the case with cars and EMP. According to sources working at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, cars have proven to be resistant to EMP in actual tests using nuclear weapons as well as during more recent tests (with newer cars) with the US Military's EMP simulators.

One reason for the ability of a car to resist EMP lies in the fact that its metal body is "insulated" by its rubber tires from the ground. This creates a Faraday cage of sorts. (Drawing on the analogy of EMP being similar to lightning, it is interesting to note that cases of lightning striking and damaging cars is almost non-existent; this apparently carries over to EMP effects on vehicles as well.)AusSurvivalist

[edit on 1-9-2010 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I dont think there are any diesel Tacomas in the US.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I always wondered about those 'spare parts.' If an EMP can fry an part in the engine why can't it fry a part sitting in the garage in a box?

This should be an interesting thread.

Because its a "special" box-an EMP resistant cage,with a mesh exterior.
Thats where you keep all those bits which are sensitive to EMP-chips and microcircuitry.

An easy faraday cage=microwave oven.

Although you can make a bigger one easy.

Then all your spare electric stuff survives a nuke/EMP.
Journos used to buy cheap microwave ovens to save thier laptops when the Iraq2 war started.

In case anything mad happened,their HDDs would survive,they hoped.

Edit for faraday cage pics:

www.google.co.uk...:en-GB
fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=ZJ5-TPD4JJDM4gb0s9 nABg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CD8QsAQwAw&biw=1280&bih=825

[edit on 1/9/2010 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I would still say that keeping to a car that's as simple as possible would be the way to go, i.e. diesel over petrol, or carburetter over injection.
I would think that you would have to take into account that fixing it the first time after an EMP might not be the only time you have to repair it, and it's just so much easier to fix a basic old fashioned engine without specialized tools.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Thats good advice,I used to have an old beat up diesel van,easy to fix,and hardly ever needed fixing.

definitley less electrics to bother with.

I think I would buy an old beat up diesel again if I got the opportunity.
And I hope I do soon.For the SHTF situ only.

Gotta keep my golf too though-Im attached to it now.(Sad I know)

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I don't know about anyone else but if a nuke attack should occur, I think the last thing on anyone's mind will be getting the car started, especially if you are anywhere near a large population center or military installation. All of life's problems should be over within a few seconds or less if I were to imagine. But if it makes you feel better by all means go for it.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

I dont think there are any diesel Tacomas in the US.

Apparently the US and "everywhere else" models were more or less the same up until 1985, so you can get diesel ones (although they are rarer) as long as they are pre 85.
The one in the top gear video has done something like 190thousand miles and is still running like new, so that could be an option.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Just get a motorcycle. You can always "push start" it in second gear. Cheaper and easier to maintain in that type of a disaster. In fact, why not look into a dirt bike? you can go ANYWHERE with one.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

If you have a pre-1985 car then you will be fine.

Just to be safe, if you expect a nuke attack, disconnect battery, touch battery cables together to remove any latent charge. Don't hook it back up until after the nuke and everything should work fine in a pre-85 vehicle.

I don't think it is possible for the electronics in a modern car to survive. Probably know hope of it actually being operational after the event. I don't think a new ECU and battery would do it. You would have to change a million different solid state sensors, relays, and breakers.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Yes as another poster stated what makes those stored parts safe from emp. are they deep underground. How are the spares any good.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirClem

Just get a motorcycle. You can always "push start" it in second gear. Cheaper and easier to maintain in that type of a disaster. In fact, why not look into a dirt bike? you can go ANYWHERE with one.

Or for the perfect solution, An 85 Toyota Pickup with a dirt bike stored in the bed and a 50Cal mounted on top

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I go with the old fashion horses. They do come in mustange as well

2nd.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Hmm,you are correct I think-too many additional electronic controlled stuff.
Power steering,ABS etc...hmm.Good advice.

Looks like a little old diesel from the early 80s is the one then-drum brakes!rusty all over...oh well if it drives after a major solar event,im happy.

Thanks for the tips everyone,
I now know my car is screwed in such an event,unless I could by some miracle turn my garage into a faraday cage,to protect the whole vehicle.

Also If you were the only one with a car in such an event,you would become a magnet for folks trying to leave.things could get violent.

Thats why I wanted my golf to work...It a little nippy beast,and we'd be outta there in short order.
#Oh well...save up for full faraday garage I guess...

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
Yes as another poster stated what makes those stored parts safe from emp. are they deep underground. How are the spares any good.

A reallygood Faraday box could be built and all the electronics stored in it and insulated from the blast. I don't think that is a good gamble. I think, as others have posted that you should get an older model vehicle, preferably a Diesel, maybe a two-stroke dirt bike.

As the poster above me mentioned. If you want the ultimate survival vehicle. Get a pre-1985, Diesel truck, mount a spare tank in the truck bed for fuel, equip it with a dirt bike, fill the toolbox with your survival gear, mount your firepower on the truck, disconnect the battery and touch the cable ends together to clear the charge, wait til after the EMP, and then you should be mobile, highly armed, and well-prepared!!

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Its strange that we are really discussing this.
2nd

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

As the poster above me mentioned. If you want the ultimate survival vehicle. Get a pre-1985, Diesel truck, mount a spare tank in the truck bed for fuel, equip it with a dirt bike, fill the toolbox with your survival gear, mount your firepower on the truck, disconnect the battery and touch the cable ends together to clear the charge, wait til after the EMP, and then you should be mobile, highly armed, and well-prepared!!

Realistically a family will be outta luck then.
2nd

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Normal critical electronic modules in a car.

The ignition module
Voltage regulator/ alternator diodes.
Engine control unit.
MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor
MAF sensor.
Crank position sensor/cam position sensor.

All the other critical stuff shouldn’t be affected by an EMP.

If your car has the volt reg built into the alt then an extra alternator should take care of the charging.
ECU if your car uses fuel injection.
Some vehicles have a MAP sensor others have a MAF sensor.
Some vehicles have a crank position sensor. Some have cam position sensor/distributor sensor. Some have both.

You may want to pick up an extra fuel pump relay and ECU power relay.
I don’t think and EMP would bug the coil pack, but you can pick one up if you want.

That would be seven parts.

Older fords have a TFI module on the distributor. Older dodges have an optical pickup distributor.

Most newer vehicles with an electronically controlled transmission have the transmission controlled by the ECU. Some older dodges and stuff had a stand alone transmission controller. You may want one of those if your car has it.

All other modules are what I would call, non critical. Unplug them in they cause problems.

If your car has an electronically controlled dash, you can live without the dash functioning, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

[edit on 1-9-2010 by Mr Tranny]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Or for the perfect solution, An 85 Toyota Pickup with a dirt bike stored in the bed and a 50Cal mounted on top

Thats the ticket,those toyota pickups can take demon punishment-I used them in the dark forests of Wales for years, hauling trees.
They dont give up.Even though I made them want to.My lovley diesel forset mules.
I won't forget em.

Although no 50cal allowed where I live in UK

So it would be 4or 5
archers in the back of the pickup.

Not quite as dangerous,unless you get to 45 metres or so.
Then worry.

Hehe

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join