It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horrifying Halloween Writing Contest [Winners Announced]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Turn your minds to the macabre, grab your quills and bowls of blood and begin the process of covering clean white pages with scrawls of gore, sweat and fear. The theme is GENERAL MAYHEM AND HORROR and the meek and mild are herewith forewarned not to read any thread containing [HHWC] in the title lest they quiver, faint and fall off their collective stools. We wouldn't want that, now would we?

MWUHAHAHAHA

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b4a9c989d408.jpg[/atsimg]

Ahem... now settle down young lady, it's not quite your feeding time just yet.

Aaaargh... NOOOOOO!!!

*gurgle*
*snap*
*crunch, crunch, crunch*

We now break away from this live broadcast to provide the membership with a few details.

This contest ends in two months, October 31, 2010 (at the stroke of midnight EST).

Rules:

• Submit as a seperate thread in the Member Short Story forum.

• Title MUST contain [HHWC].

• All T&C's apply.

• Submissions must contain a minimum of 1000 words. Word Count Tool

• One story per contestant. Member can replace story submissions at any time and as often as they like. Please U2U me for replacements.

Prizes:

• 1st place - 50,000 ATS points
  • 2nd place - 40,000 ATS points
  • 3rd place - 30,000 ATS points
  • Undetermined number of honourable mentions - 10,000 ATS points each

Note:

• All successfully entered submissions will receive Writer Status.

• The contest is open to all members of Abovetopsecret who have their 20 initial posts.

Please use this thread for any questions you may have.

cheers

edit on 10/11/10 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
She's soooo cute...

[edit on 9/1/2010 by seagull]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
MWUHAHAHAHA

Sorry Masq. I've always wanted to do that, and this seemed to be my best opportunity.

Sounds good and scary!

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Well, you could have put in an extra HA in there while you had this fine opportunity.

Actually, this slightly off-topic post is in reality only a bump to keep it sort of front and center for a few days. You know... so that the members know there's another contest going on besides the one that Skeptic Overlord started.

I wonder if it's a conspiracy to lord it over the writing contests? Hmmm... well, we'll see about that, eh writers? One thing for sure, I'm not gonna be plugging that other contest.

Oh... wait a minute...

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

HA

Decided to take you up on it.

Actually, this is kinda a bump too.

Last year's Halloween contest was really great, remember? I bet this one will be too.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Sounds interesting. I'm happy that you aren't limiting it to rock concerts. Maybe we need a cool roast??

Fire breathing smiley faces comin to get ya.
Sorry, that's silly. Looking forward to reading all your stories. The variety on the last contest was Great!

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
MWUHAHAHAHAHAHA

Just wanted to help the thread gain attention
. Looking forward to reading some of the submissions.

[edit on 1-9-2010 by Nosred]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Yeah... me too.

Doncha just hate BB Code? It's a horrorshow all by itself.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Oops sorry I just read the thread and answered my own question

HeHeHeHeHeHeHe

Oh sorry I meant

MWUHAHAHAHAHAHA

[edit on 1-9-2010 by davespanners]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

The end date is midnight on October 31... Halloween.

You have two months to write a 1000 word story.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I know....... So many edits

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

All's well that ends well, except on Elm Street.

heh heh heh

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by shapeshiftress
Maybe we need a cool roast??

Oh, yes, Clarice... a nice battered fillet of LEO, roasted to perfection and served cold with a nice Chianti.

Mmmmm....

Oh, Semper, are you there?

please bring a crisp lettuce

[edit on 1/9/10 by masqua]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Or Crystal lake

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Since there is a 1000 word minimum I guess I must put my scariest story ever here. In THREE Simple Words - this in my opinion is the absolute mostest scariest horror story/thought I could possible image.

Warning, not for the weak, squeamish or those who live in complete denial.

You Have Been Warned:

PRESIDENT Arnold Schwarzenegger The END

The Horror.......The Horror......

Thank You For Offering This Writing Competition, I look forward to reading as many as possible and submitting my own.

Regards,

t

[edit on 9/1/2010 by EyeHeartBigfoot]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Hey, did anyone just hear that bump in the dark
?

(Geddit? Cause I'm trying to bump the thread?
)

(Okay, it wasn't funny
)

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Oh, yes, Clarissa... a nice battered fillet of LEO, roasted to perfection and served cold with a nice Chablis.

....with a nice dessert of Mas.....qua, served with a side of almond-coated Neformore's and caramel-drenched Maxmar's. As an alternative, one might have GEL with fresh strawberries and cream.

[edit on 9/1/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting

...with a nice dessert of Mas.....qua, served with a side of almond-coated Neformore's and caramel-drenched Maxmar's. As an alternative, one might have GEL with fresh strawberries and cream.

[edit on 9/1/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

Well my dear, the specialities today are either the bunny flavoured caramel custard served with Gimme_Some_Truth, the honey-coated Djarums cheesecake or the BT Gulab Jamun.

Your choice o_O

Anyway, I can't wait to read the entries and if possible, think of something myself.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I love the Halloween contests and am really glad to see that it is going to be free to whatever people want to write, you did mention it still has to stay within the T@C's right? I mean there are limits to the type of story right? I dont remember exactly but there were no no's in the past and for that I am greatful.

Edit to say I especially enjoyed the year we were able to make more than one entry, I was able to hash one out for the kids in that contest and then go on to what I thought was really scary, too scary for little ones.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by antar]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
you did mention it still has to stay within the T@C's right? I mean there are limits to the type of story right? I dont remember exactly but there were no no's in the past and for that I am greatful.

In relation to the T&C's, I think the most likely infractions would be censor circumvention and images of excessive gore. The first being taken care of with simple staff edits in minor cases and the second perhaps less gently handled. No-one needs to be slapped in the face by the excessive gore reality has to offer. This is why I specified 'Hollywood schtick' if images are going to be used. Lots of bloody vampyre fangs and the undead with torn and gory T-shirts. However, posting the beheading of an actual person (or somesuch) would be gone as soon as it's posted and the member warned.

Edit to say I especially enjoyed the year we were able to make more than one entry, I was able to hash one out for the kids in that contest and then go on to what I thought was really scary, too scary for little ones.

I remember that, and it WAS fun, but plain difficult for the judges. You can, however, still write as many as you like, but only one of them can be entered at any time. For instance, if you wrote the one for the youngsters first, it would be accepted in the contest. Then, towards the end of the contest, post the one for adults and let me know that you'd like the first removed replacing it with the second. That's right in the contest rules and the one with [HHWC] in the title when the contest ends is the one that will be judged.

• One story per contestant. Member can replace story submissions at any time and as often as they like. Please U2U me for replacements.

• Best of both worlds.

Edit to add rule from OP

[edit on 2/9/10 by masqua]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join