It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dow surges over 200 and now today the economy is improving.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Absum!

see it like that virus that hit the London banks....the people would see their money in the banks...while the virus drained the Accounts.....

people are "pulling out of the markets" and for intents and purposes they think they are....the computer says so...but in reality they are still locked into the stock they currently have....

it stops a mass sell-off

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by tspark

You should appreciate this then lol
www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TypeSH2001

check my post about the virus...could be plausible...

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah Johnson

LOL...that's exactly what i mean...stupid reasons....thanks for showing that to me....

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by tspark

haha no problem

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnny2127

Originally posted by Jeremiah Johnson
Is it just me or are we getting conflicting news everyday about the economy? They report 1 tidbit of good manufacturing news and all of a sudden all is well again? Please... tomorrow's headline will be another downer and we will be going to hell in a hand basket again. How can anything be improving when we are trillions in debt and we continue to borrow from China? When will the government get real with us?

You can't just look at a broad measure or statistic and assume the number is good. The manufacturing number was higher than expected, but that was due to higher than expected imports and larger inventories than estimated. Those are not positive things for the economy, but for this statistic it drives the number higher. Additionally, buried within the statistic is the commentary from manufacturers that their manufacturing is being driven by foreign demand.

So here's what this number today really says:

1) We imported even more than we thought we would, so our trade deficit is higher.
2) Inventories are higher than expected which means they aren't being drawn down and bought as quickly as thought. Thats bad.
3) Foreign economies are placing more orders than the US with manufacturers..... that with the US being the biggest consumer.

So this manufacturing number is not as good as it looks. Its like someone saying they lost weight, so people assume they are working out and eating healthy, but its actually because they have been sick and throwing up all over the place.

Actually the increase came from the midwest. The auto plants shutdown the plant for retooling. It didn't happen this year so of course the numbers are higher. The manufacturing number is based on the prior year

[edit on 1-9-2010 by jlafleur02]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah Johnson
reply to post by tspark

Definitely bogus, I have had 3 friends get laid off in as many weeks and that is just this past month, that isn't counting the friends from the past year that got the axe. Everyday I come into work I wonder if it will be my last, I work for a very large and well known corporation and they won't think twice about kicking me out the door but on a side note they have no issue giving the CEO a 12 million dollar bonus the past 2 years while the rest of us haven't seen a raise in 3 years.

Thats all true and it's sad but that is exactly why you want to buy stocks. These companies will make their money no matter how bad the economy gets. Imagine 30% unemployment. Now imagine that that 70% are still employed and spending their pay. Companies will simply cut employees and such to get where they need to be. US corporations are also sitting on 2 trillion+ in cash.

The game here is to scare everyone out of their stocks, so big money can take advantage of their soon to be meteoric increases. Given the level of interest rates and corporate earnings, stocks are undervalued by about 50% at a minimum. Thats why the market rose today. Sales only last for so long.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I heard it went up today because of first of the month buying. You know all the middle class slaves that work all month and give to their 401k. I guess the first of each month they buy stocks with peoples retirement. It's gonna be a real sad day when the middle class wakes up one morning and their retirement is completely wiped out. Its gonna happen, soon.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Texcin

I know what you're saying, that's one of the reasons I barely put anything into it anymore. At least if I get it in my check they won't be spending it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join