It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help identifying craft with V formation of lights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I recently saw some sort of aircraft in the dark that I cannot identify. I took some video with my phone which didn't work. I could not make out the shape of the craft but could see its lights. Interestingly it was flying the opposite direction to the point of the 'V'. I did not hear any sound. It was flying on a constant heading at a speed you would expect an airliner to be moving at the apparent altitude.

It had:

- A 'V' formation of white lights at an angle of approx 60degrees. It had four lights per side including a single shared apex light.

- A red flashing 'navigation' light near the end of one row

- ASCII Diagram
.................R
..............W
.........W
....W
W ...................... >>>> Direction of travel >>>>
....W
.........W
..............W

Can anyone identify the type of craft from my crude description?

[edit on 1/9/2010 by LightFantastic]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
No, it is difficult to know what you saw based on your description. But if you saw anything for real, your description indicates that is is nothing more than a simple man-made aircraft. Last I checked, aliens don't use navigation lights. As for what aircraft you saw, who knows.

I don't think it was anything black projects, as people who think they are seeing a black project aircraft don't understand how and when they fly these things. Trust me, you would not have seen a black project aircraft unless you lived near the base it flies out of.....and even then it is a stretch.

Whatever it is, I assure you it is not related to aliens or "UFO's".....other than the strict definition of "UFO" which we know is not your point in posting this.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This is your third post of something weird you "saw"..lightning in your house, blue orbs in the sky, backwards V's....Maybe you need glasses?

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

Yes I don't think it was anything ET but it is a UFO, at least to me. I nearly posted this in the Advanced Aircraft section but as I didnt know what it was i couldnt say it was an advanced aircraft.

I was hoping someone could identify it rather than making 'smart' comments like the poster below you.

I wasn't near any bases at the time I was in the middle of a large city.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ATLien

Well you have shown you can count up to three

I will ensure I check with you before posting about something I have seen in future.

Do you have any useful contribution to make?

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic

Was the red light to the right or left when viewing it traveling away from you?

May point to it being a conventional a/c, depending.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

To the right hand side of the craft.

I didnt notice any other lights.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
how come people think that the U.S. government is capable of all kinds of nefarious deeds, yet they refuse to believe that we can deploy flares in a triangular shape????

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
There are aircraft with this forward swept design of wing on the drawing boards.....
But it is a very unusual configuration, and deals with supersonic flight i believe......
What sound if any did you hear?

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic

That would be odd.

Navigation lights on aircraft and maritime conveyances have the red light on the left, or port side of the vehicle. Hmm.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Are you sure it wasn't multiple craft flying in formation?

Could you see the sky behind it? (i.e. just a black sky, or moonlit clouds, etc.)?

Did they seem to be gaining, losing, or maintaining altitude?

Is there any kind of airbase nearby in the direction they were coming from, or going to?

Just a sample of some of the questions to ask yourself, in investigating it...

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
You may of had a Black Triangle sighting.

But the tip of the V is the direction that these triangles fly in....usually....So who knows.

How big was it?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by -Blackout-

I would guess about the size of a medium airliner. I must say i didnt think black triangle, mainly due to the red light, which was exactly like a navigation light and the direction of the white lights.

I attempted to video the craft over south Sheffield, England on the 27 Aug at 21:28. It was travelling west on a clear night.

[edit on 2/9/2010 by LightFantastic]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic

LightFantastic.....

You might find these 2 threads of interest:

UFO in In Night Vision Video

What is the Identity of the Delta-Shaped Craft in this Video?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

Hi there buddy.

Those two threads never cease to amaze me. I love those videos.

With that said, the OP sounds like he may of seen a Flying Triangle.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by CheapShotArtist

Hi there buddy.
Those two threads never cease to amaze me. I love those videos.
With that said, the OP sounds like he may of seen a Flying Triangle

CheapShotArtist.....

I agree.....those videos continue to be very interesting.

The op may have seen a "Triangle".....

.....but flying backwards?

Cheers
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   

True. As its been stated, triangles usually fly point going forward. This one flying backwards is weird...if it was even a triangle at all.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   

We can't be sure that what the OP saw was flying backwards.

He saw lights, not the actual craft. IOW, maybe the lights were aligned in a V shape, but opposite of the actual outline of the craft.

That would be if the craft is even delta shaped at all. Heck, it could have been circular or square for all we know.

Edit to add: Then I read cheapshots post! OOPS! Just like you said.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Thanks for the links i think i have seen that one before. What i saw was very similar but the white lights were in a perfect straight line, perfectly spaced and the red strobe appeared to be slightly above the level of the white ones.

As others have mentioned i could only make out the lights but if it was something flying in formation it was very exact and i could see only one strobe. The strobe flashed just like the aircraft in the ir video.

I dont think there are any air bases close by but i know the raf use the yorkshire moors to the west for low level flying practice.

I can now vouch for how difficult it is to take a video of something in the sky, in the dark with a phone. I have about 23 seconds of black with a quick smear of a few lights going past.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by LightFantastic

That would be odd.
Navigation lights on aircraft and maritime conveyances have the red light on the left, or port side of the vehicle. Hmm.

I've just looked up about aircraft lights and it appears the red flashing light I saw would be the anti-collision beacon as the red and green wingtip lights are steady. It appeared to be higher than the white lights so could have been mounted on the centre if the craft was pretty flat but appeared to be on the right hand side.

top topics

join