It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India's Red 'Alien' Rain found to reproduce

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine
reply to post by ohsnaptruth

It's safe to say that they are common algae and not alien life.

I always thought that common (or even uncommon) algae must have DNA in their structure in order to be able to umm "exist". So would You be so kind and explain how a common algae cell has no DNA ?

Don't get me wrong , maybe this is a new type of algae , which is DNA-less , which would be a great discovery on its own.

Or if I did misunderstand what they are saying about this red rain , please correct me about that also .

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Thill

One biologist not finding DNA does not mean that there is none. The one person still maintaining the claim of "no DNA" is a physicist.

en.wikipedia.org...
"Regarding the "absence" of DNA, Louis' only attempt to stain the spore's DNA was by the use of malachite green, which is generally used to stain bacterial endospores, not algal spores. Visualising algal spore DNA under a light microscope can be difficult due to the impermeability of the highly resistant spore wall to dyes and stains used in normal staining procedures. In order to stain the spores' DNA, which is tightly packed, encapsulated and desiccated, spores must first be cultured in suitable growth medium and temperature in order to induce germination."
"Samples of the red particles were also sent for analysis to Milton Wainwright at Sheffield University and Chandra Wickramasinghe at Cardiff University. Wickramasinghe reported in December 2006 that "work in progress has yielded positive for DNA, however, this identification is not yet fully confirmed, and might be considered equivocal".
"A correction was printed in The Observer regarding Dr. Wainwright's comment that the red rain lacked DNA. Dr. Wainwright asked in the correction to make clear that he currently had no view on whether the samples contained genetic material or not, and that it was physicist Godfrey Louis who held that view."
"The controversial conclusion of Louis et al. is the only hypothesis suggesting that these organisms are of extraterrestrial origin. Louis has not reported the use of any standard microbiology growth medium to culture and induce germination and growth of the spores, basing his claim of "biological" growth on light absorbance measurements following precipitation by supercritical fluids."

new topics

<< 1   >>

join