It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are distinguished members who have contributed alot to this site over the last 5 years leaving?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I am by no means a distinguished member but I frequent the site a lot less now because it is simply too depressing. I think people have brought up several valid reasons though in their responses.

Real Life
Repeated threads
Influx of new members
Too much hatred going unmoderated
Burnout

I believe all of those have contributed to it.

Oh and taking away mutter was a bad move.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

Without going into particulars. That happens far more than you might think. No, it's hardly a daily thing. But it has happened. When one's digital ego gets a bit too large for their own good, bad things happening are almost inevitable.

It's very easy for one to fall in love with the sounds of the keyboard clicking. It feels good when someone from across the world says, "Wow, that's a great thought..." or words to that effect. It's a puff to ones ego... ...and egos that get too large can lead to hubris.

That's one of the great things about ATS, the rest of the membership is just as smart, in reality, as some of us think we are.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Another day, another "ATS isn't what it used to be" thread.....

Seriously, NOTHING stays the same. Nothing at all. Why should ATS's membership be any different than that. People grow older, their priorities change, they move on.

Some of them come back - but then there was a thread recently where people were complaining because they were seeing older members come back....

Everyone complains. Go out and do instead. Be the change you wish to see.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree
ATS needs to do something to ensure that these people aren't put off by spending time posting detailed threads only to see them go by the wayside a short time later.

It's all member driven. The most we intend to do is to, as best we can, ensure the discussions remain on-topic and civil. That is a chore in and of itself. The membership will determine what's worthy of discussion and what isn't.

As participants, the best things members can do are contribute civilly and on-topic in the threads that catch their interest, and stay out of the ones that are considered not worthy of participation. Jumping into a thread to say "this is dumb" only bumps it up to the top of the list and is counterproductive to what their desired goal would appear to be. You can't bury something by calling attention to it, and you can't add value to a thread by dumping on it. You can, however, ensure a crappy thread lives on by participating in it. Which has the side effect of pushing everything else down.

People come and go. There's definitely a period of "site fatigue" that everyone goes through. I know I have.

It's like a menu at a restaurant. You aren't going to like everything, what you like isn't going to be to someone else's taste. The new members that sign up are in many cases, genuinely happy to find a place where our sorts of topics can be discussed civilly. What's old hat for some of us is more like Christmas morning for some new members.

Members come and go. The site will continue to evolve, no question. There'll never be a change that is universally embraced by the membership. That's just the way it is.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

You were the Mutter King Karlhungis!

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
It's simple, some of them get recruited by the gov, depends how good you are, some of them join secret societies. What do you think this site is
It's no regular site.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
Hey it doesn't matter man.... We have ATS facebook now.

Again, I have stayed away from the ATS Facebook thread as FB itself is a conspiracy that needs to be looked at in depth. Indeed I believe there is a very detailed thread about FB on this very site. Talk about ironic

[edit on 1-9-2010 by franspeakfree]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I am in no position to state who is who here but as a lurker since the site's inception I avoided it because I had little to contribute and about 3 years ago I got to where I felt I could contribute on matters that I became informed on and did research on and wanted to share. The thing that kept me at bay though was I saw what seemed to be an obvious and increasing trend of breakdown in focus, respect and solidarity. I also began to see things that made me question the motives and intentions of those who founded and run this site. All curiosities aside, I simply chose to avoid certain aspect of participation and speak where I felt comfortable speaking. I am not very comfortable here and sometimes want to participate but then choose to keep to myself (Which is on me to decide).

All things evolve and or progress. We as people most of the time have a difficult time dealing with change but for the most part we are very adaptable.

I still have my concerns and queries about aspects of this site and that's a healthy thing for all of us to have. I don't feel that I can express myself the way I desire to though without immense hatred or conflict and barrage of confrontation. So for me, I just decided to go with what I am comfortable with and avoid such things as it's the internet after all and it's not worth the hassle for me.

For those of you who are disenchanted or disillusioned, I can only recommend go where you are comfortable or doing your own individual part to represent what you think the community should be. There are many talented, motivated, spiritual, insightful and courageous people on this site every day and even when I don't agree with them or see veteran members kind of fade away or pounce on the newer generation of members coming into the community I still feel that tons of potential is available on this site.

That's my .50 cents worth and while not too significant I hope it's deemed as a contribution of thought and expression to some.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I'll just be echoing the thoughts of other on this, but anyway. I don't think what you seem to be noticing is anything systematic, routine or anything out of the 'norm'. People leave for their own reasons, examine yourself: surely you've been involved with other websites prior to ATS that you no longer frequent?

Don't quote me on this but I remember Springer (I think?) bringing up an interesting point in an older thread about the nature of websites such as this and the members interaction with the content and how it goes through stages.

At first, the member is overwhelmed by the amount of information available, they consume as much as they can. Over time, what happens, is that the sheer repetitiveness (current affairs aside) of issues discussed simply monotonizes the members experience on the website and gradually their interest and once held pashion diminishes. Putting it simply: people get bored.

Oh and by the way... this post sooooo made this thread worthwhile...

Originally posted by NorEaster
I blame myself for this downturn. I always have this effect on any forum that I eventually join. I show up and everything's great, but then as soon as I register, the whole place jumps into the woodchipper. And then it's off to find another site to crater.

I'm like the terminator of messageboard forums.

Sorry about that.

[edit on 1/9/2010 by serbsta]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Again, I have stayed away from the Facebook thread as FB itself is a conspiracy that needs to be looked at in depth.

Then why didn't you do that, instead of starting this thread, on a topic that gets seemingly regurgitated every couple of days in one form or another?

Why aren't YOU helping improve the quality of the posts and debate and topics on the site?

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

It appears that there is an increase in argumentative members which are having a massive effect on the experienced members and to be honest I believe they have had enough of it.

What? You mean like this:

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
By the way, no one pointed a gun to your head nor force you to come or go, contribute or not. What each does is to his/her own free will and conscience.

Um, yeah. I get it.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
ATS is still my favorite website that I visit everyday.
The only concern I have in this area, is when senior members get baited and trolled into a ban in the 9/11 forums.
I have seen newbie's doing this to senior members, it's wrong, and the MODS should give these guys more leeway when they see this happening. Then the newbie gets banned himself but he has accomplished his job he got a senior member banned. This weakens this site.

That being said I have learned more on ATS then any other internet web site.
I have also appreciated the wide variety of topics that exist here.

For me it is not going downhill, people leave not because ATS is bad or poor but for other reasons, sometimes people want to spend less time on the net and more time enjoying life with other activities. One member I know was very sick and at home, posted a dozen times a day, got well and doesn't post at all anymore.

Anyway ATS is still has the best forum on the net that I have found. I post to about 6 different web sites on a regular basis. I have tried some other ones too and found myself banned pretty quick because the people and the MODS were narrow minded fools, who embraced ignorance like a security blanket.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

Hi Fran,

You know, the only Constant in this Universe is Change.

It certainly seems to have been an accelerated phase of change these past few years.. even this year.

I can't say I haven't seen the marked increase in rudeness, personal attack, and inane threads. They exist and sometimes people say "Enough", then move on. Sometimes they point it out politely... well I do anyway..as have some others, I noted... members looking after the best interests of the place.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
This website is simply a money making machine. In order to create more money, more members and people visiting this site are needed. To hell with 20 qualitative members if you can get 2000 not so qualitative people for exchange. The whole ATS website design and layout, new concepts introduced such as facebook, games, TVs, podcasts, easy access, its all geared towards getting more members and thus more potential customers who click on the advertisements. Don't you see the advertisement plastered all over ATS? Heck, there were even BP advertisements available, simply because BP spends the most on pay per click.

Easy no? move on please....

link   
I have never started a thread on ATS,I come here and other webs because Im an info junkie so my comment may not mean much.

I think it is the division of the people that has taken place in America over the past 2 to 3 years.I noticed it here when ATS came up with Decision 2008.That is when I started to notice the extreame division between the members.It seemed ridicule and demean was the order of the day and yes I did my share.When I was chastized by someone I respected I left and did not come back tell I thought I could keep from being an ass.

You will probably get a good take on your question by the negative posts you get also.Some people live to mess up another persons day and they seem to be comeing out of the woodwork now a days.

link   

Originally posted by seagull
Make quality posts.

Exactly. The rest will then follow...

I tend to take the long view. ATS is a true community, complete with the virtual (and sometimes real) births and deaths of its members. No single member 'makes' this site. No single 'event' defines its nature.

I come...contribute...and go as my real life permits.

Sometimes I enjoy my experience here more than others, but in the end it is always driven by where *I* am at any given point in terms of my general or specific interests. I see ATS as part informational tool and part entertainment. My mood dictates which aspect of ATS I tend to emphasize.

I know it can be easy to fall into the drama traps. It's happened on occasion to me as well. But as the years have passed, I avoid that peril more easily. After all, it's always helpful to remember that ATS is just a message board.

It's true one can identify 'distinguished' members who have left the site over time. But the really remarkable thing about ATS is the number of NEW distinguished members that continue to emerge!

It really comes down to a simple choice. You can focus on the past or focus on the future.

I routinely choose the latter.

[edit on 1-9-2010 by loam]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
i tell you why its all this arab crap. and it bores the living hell out fo me.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
ATS members are what makes the abovenetwork. It's rich, intelligent and vibrant - you shouldn't have to rely on older members to enlighten discussions. Those of us, who have been here for over five years, have literally seen the same topic discussed over and over. May be, there is not much for us to see or discuss anymore. That's not an insult to the administration, it is a fact of life.

People move on.

I joined this site when I was seventeen, over seven years agos. Reason for me hardly posting anymore;

* Much older, with responsibilities.
* Time
* Mindless hatred on certain topics.

It is not a conspiracy that us elders eventually move on and leave.

[edit on 1-9-2010 by infinite]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
I am by no means a distinguished member but I frequent the site a lot less now because it is simply too depressing. I think people have brought up several valid reasons though in their responses.

Real Life
Repeated threads
Influx of new members
Too much hatred going unmoderated
Burnout

I believe all of those have contributed to it.

Wow a blast from the past, where have you been? great to see you back Karl. Just when things are getting a litte momentum we get downgraded to BTS and still people say there is no conspiracy still at least we have nice icons to play with.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
read my post a little bit above. truth hurts thats y its on bts now

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join