It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VIDEO: Obama and Biden saying the troop surge wouldn't work. Now they take credit for its success.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
To the OP - your video provides nothing to support the title of this thread. Unless you were in a parallel universe last night and heard a different Presidential Address than the rest of the world, Obama did not say anything that even hinted of him "taking credit" for the surge's success.

In order to do so, something along the lines of "the Democratic initiative of a troop surge worked..." or "my plan of adding more troops worked....".

Nothing of the sort was said. He thanked the men and women of the armed services for their sacrifice, and commended them on their success.

Threads like this are part-and-parcel fanning the flames of political discontent and divisiveness. So few people nowadays will actually venture from behind the screen with Glen Beck, Olbermann, and Fox News telling them what to say, do and think.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnny2127

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Well if it hadn't been for numb nuts George Bush, the whole bloody thing could have been avoided.

Again, not defending Bush or saying he was a good President. Just saying Obama and Biden opposed the surge and said it wouldn't work, and now are trying to take credit for it. Just pointing out the hypocrisy. Not saying the Iraq war was great. Just pointing out the dishonesty and lack of judgment of Obama and Biden. Pretty simple

They're all just trying to deflect your thread (T&C violation) off of any criticsim of obama. There's a group of them. That's all they do. Stop responding to them.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
According to Bush's own words, the purpose of the surge was to provide political breathing room so that a functioning government could be formed in Iraq.

To my knowledge, this has not happened. Their current government in Iraq is as dysfunctional as ever. Therefore, the actual strategy of the surge has not been successful.

The only thing that I saw President Obama taking credit for is getting our troops out of Iraq as promised.

On the other hand, I do believe that Bush deserves a lot more than "credit" for the Iraq war, he and his administration deserve to be held accountable! They led this nation into a war based on prefabricated lies. A war that killed 4,400 Americans and wounded another 30,000, not to mention the tens of thousands of Iraqis killed and injured.

If you think that what we have to show for the sacrifices made can be labeled "a success," then you have another "think" coming. Would you like to take it now, or later?

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by johnny2127

Can you link to where Obama and Biden are taking credit for the surge? In your video, they opposed it. I don't watch the news, so can you show me where they are now taking credit for it? Thank you.

In fact, it seems Biden is giving credit to BUSH for the surge here:

www.pbs.org...

Vice President Biden went further, albeit grudgingly, than President Obama did in his Tuesday night Oval Office address in crediting the surge of troops into Iraq ordered by President George W. Bush

[edit on 9/1/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

That's not true. What has been asked (repeatedly) is to show where Obama and/or Biden are taking credit for the surge as the OP contends. Yes, they opposed it. So what? The surge (as has been stated repeatedly) was to secure the country so a functioning government could take hold. last I looked that hadn't happened. So to say the surge worked is somewhat disingenuous.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I'm surprised he didn't blame Bush for the surge.

This will soon be a CLASSIC!

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Oh come on, are you serious? You can't see this for what it is? Listen it's simple, teh surge was supposed to facilitate the establishment of a stable government in Iraq. By every measure it has failed to do that. Period. The American people wanted out. It is a war we can no longer afford with no possible end in sight and we needed to cut our losses. It's that simple. The political gamesmanship (expertly displayed in this ridiculous video) is a prime example of what is wrong with this country.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

If the surge truly failed to establish a stable government then that would mean Obama would not have missed the opportunity to bash Bush, but he didn't.
Let's face it, the guy has no good sense of judgment.

I for one think he should at least thank Bush for geting rid of Uday and Kusai, that alone is making Obama's life and job a lot easier.

[edit on 1-9-2010 by Alxandro]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Your ability to stick to the facts in the face of idiots trying to shoot you down says a lot about your moral fiber. Thank you for bring back the lost art of disagreeing intelligently. I read your posts even though I may not always agree for the above reason.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Can you link to where Obama and Biden are taking credit for the surge? In your video, they opposed it. I don't watch the news, so can you show me where they are now taking credit for it? Thank you.

In fact, it seems Biden is giving credit to BUSH for the surge here:

www.pbs.org...

Vice President Biden went further, albeit grudgingly, than President Obama did in his Tuesday night Oval Office address in crediting the surge of troops into Iraq ordered by President George W. Bush

[edit on 9/1/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

Sure not problem. Here is a video where, at the beginning Biden takes credit and gives it to the Obama administration. Then if you actually watch through to the end, Gibbs does the same thing:

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Bottom line is obama lied in his speech saying that combat operations were over and the combat troops where being pulled out.

This was in the news just last week. In spite of obama's lies to the contrary, combat troops are still flowing into iraq, they're just renaming their units to something that doesn't have the word "combat" in the unit name.

source

“It’s funny because the big thing on the news as we were getting ready to leave was all the big hoopla about all the combat forces coming out, so all the soldiers and their families are asking, ‘Why are we going?’” Lt. Col. Bryan Mullins said.

and

source

As the final convoy of the Army’s 4th Stryker Brigade Combat Team, based at Fort Lewis, Wash., entered Kuwait early Thursday, a different Stryker brigade remained in Iraq.

Soldiers from the 2nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team of the 25th Infantry Division are deployed in Iraq as members of an Advise and Assist Brigade, the Army’s designation for brigades selected to conduct security force assistance.

So while the “last full U.S. combat brigade” have left Iraq, just under 50,000 soldiers from specially trained heavy, infantry and Stryker brigades will stay, as well as two combat aviation brigades.

Yes, obama lied ...

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Sure not problem. Here is a video where, at the beginning Biden takes credit and gives it to the Obama administration.

There is a problem, though. Several, actually. Biden DID NOT take credit for the surge. Did you watch your own video? He's talking about the current successes in Iraq, NOT the surge, which happened before he took office.

Secondly, this thread is titled: Obama and Biden saying the troop surge wouldn't work. Now they take credit for its success.

This video is OLD. Where are they currently taking credit for the surge, as it states in your title? In your OP, you posted an OLD video where this administration disagrees with the surge strategy, but where is the second half of your title? Where's the link? Where's the video? This is a bunch of crap.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching411

Your ability to stick to the facts in the face of idiots trying to shoot you down says a lot about your moral fiber. Thank you for bring back the lost art of disagreeing intelligently. I read your posts even though I may not always agree for the above reason.

Thank you. I see no sense in demeaning others for their opinions. I do not mind people having their opinions, regardless of how much they differ from mine. All I really want people to do is read and do research, and if what they learn that what they thought was wrong, there is no shame in admitting it. Admitting you were wrong before also means you are a wiser person now than before and you are intellectually honest. I will gladly read any article or source someone gives me. I just hope the course of debate and dialog can be raised not only on this site but throughout the rest of the US. People need to stop treating politics like its a team sport. We need to remember, first and foremost we are Americans, not members of a political party. Personally, I will vote for any candidate that will reduce the size, scope, spending and power of the US govt, regardless of their party.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Sure not problem. Here is a video where, at the beginning Biden takes credit and gives it to the Obama administration.

There is a problem, though. Several, actually. Biden DID NOT take credit for the surge. Did you watch your own video? He's talking about the current successes in Iraq, NOT the surge, which happened before he took office.

Secondly, this thread is titled: Obama and Biden saying the troop surge wouldn't work. Now they take credit for its success.

This video is OLD. Where are they currently taking credit for the surge, as it states in your title? In your OP, you posted an OLD video where this administration disagrees with the surge strategy, but where is the second half of your title? Where's the link? Where's the video? This is a bunch of crap.

Ummm, the successes in Iraq are due primarily to the surge. Can you name things or policy changes Obama has made to Iraq? If so, I'd be happy to hear them. Even in Obama's speech to the nation last night he attributed most of the 'success' to the troop increase.

Can you and I at least agree that Obama and Biden were against the surge and said it wouldn't work and would make things worse, but have been proven wrong? Can we at least agree on that?

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Ummm, the successes in Iraq are due primarily to the surge.

OK. Your opinion. That's fine.

Can you name things or policy changes Obama has made to Iraq?

I would if that was the subject of this thread. You're hijacking your own thread to avoid sourcing or proving your claim??? Interesting strategy.

Even in Obama's speech to the nation last night he attributed most of the 'success' to the troop increase.

Can you quote where he attributed most of the success to the troop surge and more importantly, can you quote where he took credit for the surge, as your OP claims?

Here's the text

Can you and I at least agree that Obama and Biden were against the surge and said it wouldn't work and would make things worse, but have been proven wrong? Can we at least agree on that?

No. I know they opposed the surge. That's clear. How much the surge "helped" in Iraq is something that I, as a regular citizen, will probably never know. If you're a regular citizen, you don't know, either. You just have an opinion like everyone else. So, neither of us can say they were "proven wrong". But that's beside the point, isn't it. That's the idea. To deflect away from your original claim. Well, I'm not buying. And I don't think anyone else is either.

And STILL, you avoid showing me where Obama took credit for the troop surge, as your title states.

Can we agree that the title of this thread is a lie?

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I didn't deflect anything. I responded to your comment. You asked for where Biden or Obama took credit for the success in Iraq. I posted videos. You then went into what you considered to be them talking about taking credit for 'successes' in Iraq but not crediting the surge, There is no deflection. So here is for you in sequence:

1) Obama and Biden saying troop surge will fail and make things worse:

2) Obama saying the surge was successful:

3) Obama and Biden taking credit for surge (unless you don't think Biden and Gibbs are speaking for the administration of course):

4) Here is text of Obama's speech crediting the surge:

Together with Iraqis and coalition partners who made huge sacrifices of their own, our troops fought block by block to help Iraq seize the chance for a better future. They shifted tactics to protect the Iraqi people; trained Iraqi Security Forces; and took out terrorist leaders. Because of our troops and civilians -and because of the resilience of the Iraqi people - Iraq has the opportunity to embrace a new destiny

Link to speech text

If you don't agree thats 100% fine. I would be curious how you could come to the conclusion though. Its very easy to see they said it would fail and make things worse, then said it worked and was a success, and then took credit for it.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

bad comment

[edit on 1-9-2010 by jimmyx]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

bad comment

[edit on 1-9-2010 by jimmyx]

Hahaha, no I'm curious. Feel free to U2U me with what you were going to say if you like. I won't be offended.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

3) Obama and Biden taking credit for surge (unless you don't think Biden and Gibbs are speaking for the administration of course):

Neither Biden nor Gibbs took credit for the surge in that video. The announcer SAID he took credit for the surge (than you FOX news), but neither of them said any such thing. You're listening to FOX too much.

Its very easy to see they said it would fail and make things worse, then said it worked and was a success, and then took credit for it.

YES, they said it would fail.
YES, they said it was successful.
but...
NO! They never took credit for the surge, as your title clearly states. You're dreaming.

I'm done with this stupid game.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I am missing the part where anybody seems to be taking credit for the surge doing anything.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join