It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beauty comes in all shapes, and sizes. [Photo's]

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Take a break, and give your eyes a treat. Check out these photo's of Volcano's. Thanks to the people that took these photo's. Sometimes we need to see something that can remind us of some of the beauty here on Earth.

View all the photo's here -> National Geographic.com

I'll post a few of the ones I really enjoyed viewing.

Photo Gallery: Volcanoes

A bright bolt of lightning crackles within the ash cloud from the eruption of the Eyjafjallajökull volcano in Iceland in April 2010. Volcanic lightning occurs when roiling ash particles rub against each other and become electrically charged

Mount Semeru, seen with an ash plume, is the highest volcano on the Indonesian island of Java and has been in a constant eruption since 1967. It lies at the southern end of the Tengger caldera, which contains smaller volcanoes Mount Bromo and Mount Batok (both seen in the foreground), and several others.

Perched above the lighted city of Catania, Italy, Mount Etna hurls a fountain of fire skyward as rivers of lava spill down its flanks. In spite of its dazzling displays, Mount Etna is a relatively safe volcano with rare, compact eruptions and slow-flowing lava that gives people a chance to escape.

A volcanic eruption and the eruption of light from charged particles in the atmosphere—called the Northern Lights—occur at the same time in Iceland. The island nation was created by volcanic activity and today has 35 active volcanoes, which provide the country with plentiful geothermal power.

---------------

-Enjoy.

[edit on 1-9-2010 by Oozii]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Holy frijole.

Those are the most amazing photos of volcano's that I have ever seen. Actually, they are probably the most beautiful pictures I've seen in a long time, period.

Thanks a bunch for the post
S&F for sure.

Are you sure none of those are professionally photoshopped in any way? That's just amazing.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by philosearcher

They look like they're photoshopped huh? But Im more than 100% sure they aren't. Check out the link. Lots more to see.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Wow! If more humans appreciated the absolute beauty of this planet they would feel uplifted.

I wonder why humans were given this fabulous planet, only to ruin it?

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

Well don't worry, beauties such as this will never cease. But always be created one way or another. Even when were gone.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I agree, those are some amazing photos, I especially like the one with the lightning bolt and the one with the northern lights in it. I would love to of been there, to see that with my own eyes. Great pics OP.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
There are some lovely pictures of volcanoes at this site:

homers.vox.com...

I've posted some of them before. Actually, all the galleries are worth a look. Martin Reitze is a wonderful photographer.

Sample picture:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/640cba706454.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 1-9-2010 by berenike]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Wow beautiful! My favorite and my new desktop pic for my other laptop is the first one you posted with the lightning. I love lightning pictures!

This planet is beautiful! I wish we weren't hurting her so much.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

S&F Thanks for posting. Sometimes we forget the beauty around us.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Thank you for the replys. Glad you guys enjoy'd them.

And my fav is also the one with the lightning init
. Very Very Beautiful.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Thanks for bringing us the vision once more Oozii!

They are the real life counterparts of John Martin's landscapes. One of the greatest Romantic painters of all time!

The first picture in the OP anyone?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4cc6944239b5.jpg[/atsimg]

John Martin: The Great Day of His Wrath

[edit on 1-9-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Beautiful pictures, thank you for bringing them to us, amazing how beautiful tragedy is.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I have been to Bromo (second picture) and walked around the crater rim. Was an amazing experience. Very nice pictures.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
A B-2 Spirit Stealth-bomber dropping a nuke into one of these volcanoes would be interesting, too. I wonder what would happen? Would it open up a vast shaft straight into the source of the magma? If so, would this new material spew forth, creating more LAND?

Or, would the nuke shut off the volcano and prevent it from erupting? Would the lava then become "dirty," imbued with all that fallout? OR would the fallout be absorbed and broken-down by all that lava/magma?

Could there be such a thing as a RADIOACTIVE LAVA FLOW?
Would VOLCANOES be a good place to dispose of NUCLEAR WASTE?

Just having a brainstorming session generated by this thread. And, it might have lead to a good solution to the disposal of nuclear waste. I'm sure some think-tanker must have thought about this before. I mean, ideally, we would send nuclear waste into the sun, but that's dangerous because if there is an accident (ala Challenger) then you've just polluted the atmoshere with nuke waste.

Volcanoes are pretty hot. They're close enough to possibly use as a nuclear waste disposal site. Think conveyor belt going up to the crater, a bit out over it, and then DOWN THE CHUTE. Or maybe have a high-temperature-resistant pipe going down into the lava until it melts, OR just above it, to prevent splatter.

Just some thoughts.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
and with these pictures i would like to say
fire is not just destructive and there's some proof right there

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Thanks for the positive reply's.

@ -PLB-, Thats awesome, were you able to take any photo's? I'd love to be able to go and visit some of the volcano's. Maybe someday.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
The coolest pictures I have ever seen on this website or any other. Fantastic thank you for posting these. Thats desk tops for the next 6 months!

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by sputniksteve

Make sure you check the other's out too, all of them are great. Everytime I look at the first one with lighting, I am always awe-struck. I hope one day I too will be able to take photo's such as these and have people using them for there desktop background.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

These are the most stunning pictures I've seen of volcanos in a VERY long time.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Absolutely stunning pics, especially the first one. I just love the beauty of nature even when she's unleashing her fury.

<<   2 >>

join