It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Murkowski Concedes GOP Senate Race to Miller

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Murkowski Concedes GOP Senate Race to Miller

www.adn.com

Incumbent Lisa Murkowski has conceded to challenger Joe Miller in the Republican primary for U.S. Senate.

Speaking at a news conference broadcast on live television from her campaign headquarters in Anchorage, Murkowski said, "We all know that this has been a long week, a terribly long week. ... Based on where we are right now, I don't see a scenario where the primary will turn out in my favor. And that is a reality that is before me at this point in time."

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.adn.com
community.adn.com
www.adn.com

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
A Family Political Dynasty falls to a Tea Party backed candidate.

Miller is a good man it seems to me and is qualified for the office he seeks.

People responding need to remember that Republican / Democrat don't mean as much here as character and these two were neck and neck throughout.

Both are known to be good people here. Some are upset about Murkowski being put in office to replace her Father. I really did not care that much for her Father but that was mostly a personality clash.

Lisa is not really what you would call a ideological Republican which I think cost her this election. Palin backing Miller did not help either.

I will say, I prefer Miller and since the survival of Alaska depends on things that Murkowski seemed to not push for as hard as she should, perhaps Miller will be better for us. Millers opponent won't do well as this State relies on Oil and Gas for its survival and the Left has been totally insane in their fighting it while getting nearly all of their funding from outside Alaska. Democrats here tend to be more like Moderate Independents than Democrats, other that a few radicals like that woman who kept making false accusations against Palin.

I do not / did not support Palin, but I'm for Miller.

www.adn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Thanks Semper for putting this in the right forum. I was not paying attention.

Everyone was expecting a big legal battle so this little shocker of her conceding today hit all the radio stations and the newspapers site within minutes.

I'm not a Tea Party goer or a Republican, but I like Miller and think he may be a breath of fresh air. We need him to counter Begich who was a lousy Mayor, in bed with all the Unions and a DNC Party Hack. Begich pretended to be a Moderate and then was the opposite in his voting. He is a one term Senator and he knows it so who knows what he will do. Begich also lied about the state of the budget while he was running and literally cut a sweetheart deal with the Unions in the middle of the night. We need Miller just to balance things.

Begich also got some land rezoned that made his old Real Estate partners richer than they already were. Not to mention he installed a paved crosswalk in front of his Wife's business even though he was told the pavers won't work in Anchorage due to the winters. He was and is a Chicago style politician.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
How WONDERFUL!

So, Alaska loses a moderate Republican to this crazy, Tea-backing wacko. Yes, OP, he's a wacko...

This guy wants to cut the Department of Education's budget. Who wants that? That money goes to our schools!

Kids are hurt by that, as our teachers! Oh, good job, Miller! That's a real smart plan!

Plus, he wants to cut the budget of the National Endowment for the Arts, which does a lot of help for kids.

Also, despite the fact of how the Tea Party CLAIMS it's only interested in economic issues, they still back the guy who's socially conservative...

BOO! That's right, I said BOO! Bring on the hate, OP! I hold disdain for the Tea Party! They're going to lead our country into a religiously-centered country where so many of our rights will be stripped away...

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I think it proves that the tea party is "equal opportunity". Meaning it will take on politicians of EITHER party that think they can ignore the wishes of their constituents.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mak Manto

Plus, he wants to cut the budget of the National Endowment for the Arts, which does a lot of help for kids.

Helps kids? No, our tax money could be much better spent than on idiotic displays of "art" such as shown in this video of Yoko Ono at the NY MOMA.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Ahh, I love how you put the word art in parentheses, as if you're deciding what is art and isn't art.

How very critical of you.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I just checked my emails and YAHOO, another RINO bites the dust.

And to the member that wined about the National Endowment for the Arts.

Give me a break.

The art world is just a bunch of sycophants. You could paint a block of red with a line through it and be called visionary. I have a nephew that is a genius in landscapes, surrealism and portraits and his work would be called pedantic.

The art world is filled with narcissists and nepotists (the family of succubi:@@

Anyway, Go Joe Miller.

Let us take a look a Murkowski voting record shall we.

www.govtrack.us...

Lisa Murkowski missed 98 (4%) of 2,603 roll call votes since Jan 7, 2003. The graph below shows the percent of roll call votes Lisa Murkowski was absent for during the Member’s time in Congress.

Bailout-yea
Patriot act-yea
Supports cap and tax

I could look for more, but WHY bother, these three alone were enough for me to realize she was a RINO.

Jeez I wish the biggest RINO of all could have been retired.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Oh, Salt, I was just WAITING FOR YOU!

Whenever we're referring to the Tea Party, you have to come in and venerate them...

Good God, am I the only sane person in this thread? Teabaggers are not good for this country.

With Beck and Palin only dumbing down the crowds, it's so gut-wrenching to see that insane politicians are taking office...

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Ahh, I love how you put the word art in parentheses, as if you're deciding what is art and isn't art.

You meant quotation marks, not parentheses - of course.

Art is art in the eye of the beholder, but when money is tight, art needs to be one of the first things to go IMO.

Oh, and please tell us all that you don't consider what yoko ono did in the video I posted was really art, and that our tax dollars should be spent on TRASH like that ...

[edit on 9/1/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Oh, Salt, I was just WAITING FOR YOU!

Whenever we're referring to the Tea Party, you have to come in and venerate them...

Good God, am I the only sane person in this thread? Teabaggers are not good for this country.

With Beck and Palin only dumbing down the crowds, it's so gut-wrenching to see that insane politicians are taking office...

Right, right ...

Another elitist liberal showing us how they know what's best for us all.

To them, no need for anyone else to think or consider the candidates or issues. Move along nothing to see here ...

WRONG!

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Mak Manto

Insane huh, let us take a look at his stances, or do we just want to use slander?

Joe Miller site-joemiller.us...

Well, he only raised $179,553 and 100k of that was a loan to himself. So no lobbyists beholden to. Hmmm, refreshing.

From his site-

I will work to limit Washington to the constitutional powers anticipated by our Founders. The future of our nation is truly in the balance and the status quo of the last several years in Washington will drive us into further fiscal insanity.

I support the repeal of ObamaCare. First and foremost, there is no Constitutional authority for it. Currently nearly half of the state governments have filed suit in federal court because they share this view.

I strongly oppose the unconstitutional Cap and Trade legislation. The science supporting manmade climate change is inconclusive. Nothing typifies that more than the metamorphosis in terminology being used.

Ronald Reagan once said, “A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you've got.” We have little time to restore constitutional limits on federal power. I will be a catalyst to move those in Congress to make the tough, principled decisions needed to bring Washington back to the limited role anticipated by our Founders. We must act now.

/sarcasm

Damn, he is a LOON!

/sarcasm

Damn, he wants the federal government to be restrained by the Constitution!

Damn right!

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

You meant quotation marks, not parentheses - of course.

Art is art in the eye of the beholder, but when money is tight, art needs to be one of the first things to go IMO.

Oh, and please tell us all that you don't consider what yoko ono did in the video I posted was really art, and that our tax dollars should be spent on TRASH like that ...

[edit on 9/1/2010 by centurion1211]

Art is in the eye of the beholder, and this helps students out by having them be creative.

And cutting the budget of the Department of Education? Why in the name of God would he want to do that? Students are hurt, as are teachers.

Pft...

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

The Department of Education is unConstitutional.

In my eyes, it should be ELIMINATED. Period.

Show me the Constitutional mandated power for the feds to do anything with education.

Oh, I forgot, you want the federal government to do ANYTHING it wants.

Hey, are you this guy?

Get back to work Stark, coming up with some more rights to takeover!

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Do you mean like the religiously centered country that gave those rights in the first place?

And as far as the Alaska school system, my sister in law actually is a teacher there. She has 8 3rd graders in her class and makes $50,000 a year and has nowhere to spend it. I am NOT saying teachers should not get paid. I am saying I am sure there are a lot of places that the money could be cut from that really wouldn't make a difference to either the teachers or the students.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Children are naturally creative. I'll be honest and admit that I don't know what the Art Endowment does. Do they give to the schools? My daughter plays clarinet and rents from the school. $41.00 a month. It is an expenditure I don't mind. I had to cut the money from other parts of my household budget but I think the expense is more than worth it. I think MOST parents are like me and for the people who can't afford the rental they do have programs, does the art endowment help with that?

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower

Insane huh, let us take a look at his stances, or do we just want to use slander?

Joe Miller site-joemiller.us...

Well, he only raised $179,553 and 100k of that was a loan to himself. So no lobbyists beholden to. Hmmm, refreshing.

From his site-

I will work to limit Washington to the constitutional powers anticipated by our Founders. The future of our nation is truly in the balance and the status quo of the last several years in Washington will drive us into further fiscal insanity.

I support the repeal of ObamaCare. First and foremost, there is no Constitutional authority for it. Currently nearly half of the state governments have filed suit in federal court because they share this view.

I strongly oppose the unconstitutional Cap and Trade legislation. The science supporting manmade climate change is inconclusive. Nothing typifies that more than the metamorphosis in terminology being used.

Ronald Reagan once said, “A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you've got.” We have little time to restore constitutional limits on federal power. I will be a catalyst to move those in Congress to make the tough, principled decisions needed to bring Washington back to the limited role anticipated by our Founders. We must act now.

/sarcasm

Damn, he is a LOON!

/sarcasm

Damn, he wants the federal government to be restrained by the Constitution!

Damn right!

Yeah, he is a loon. He's being endorsed by Sarah Palin, who is a strong supporter of taking away constitutional rights of other religions, such as Islam.

He's also opposed to abortions that involve rape and incest. Yes, that's a good one! Tell what a woman should do with her body after she's raped! Good position Joe!

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ljtg123

Do you mean like the religiously centered country that gave those rights in the first place?

And as far as the Alaska school system, my sister in law actually is a teacher there. She has 8 3rd graders in her class and makes $50,000 a year and has nowhere to spend it. I am NOT saying teachers should not get paid. I am saying I am sure there are a lot of places that the money could be cut from that really wouldn't make a difference to either the teachers or the students.

If you mean the Founding Fathers, the majority of them were deists, and they all were men of the Enlightenment. They believed STRONGLY in a separation of church and state.

These men were classical LIBERALS. LIBERALS were the one's who guaranteed our freedoms today.

It's CONSERVATIVES, many of which are being backed by the Tea Party, that are trying to destroy them.

And so you think that DOE money should be cut, but I see that Mr. Miller holds no view on cutting money from the military...

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ljtg123

Children are naturally creative. I'll be honest and admit that I don't know what the Art Endowment does. Do they give to the schools? My daughter plays clarinet and rents from the school. $41.00 a month. It is an expenditure I don't mind. I had to cut the money from other parts of my household budget but I think the expense is more than worth it. I think MOST parents are like me and for the people who can't afford the rental they do have programs, does the art endowment help with that?

While the National Endowment for the Arts gives grants not only to schools, yes, much of their grants go to schools.

One program helps serve immigrant and refugee youth, ages 12 to 17, with photography.

Another grant was given to help a school in New York City for fourth and fifth grade students to learn of theater and present their own presentations.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

How WONDERFUL!

So, Alaska loses a moderate Republican to this crazy, Tea-backing wacko. Yes, OP, he's a wacko...

I'm guessing you don't live here so you don't know your above statement is a bald faced lie. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your a person who serves your masters in the DNC and don't think or do research for yourself.

By the way, I'm not a Republican. I think both Parties are corrupt beyond repair. I do like Miller though and he is qualified. He has nothing in his background for you to base your venom on. Who told you this, Howard Dean

God I hate people who will make things up or lie for their Party and let them do their thinking for them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join