It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EARL: Evacuation of NC Barrier Island Ordered

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadDogtheHunter

Originally posted by Night Star
Hope it doesn't come to Rhode Island!! Been hot as hell here too Maddogthehunter. So far, local weather news says thunderstorm for Friday.

According to TWC, Earl will be heading your way...and so will this cold front thats coming out of the west.

Oh no! Well being an hour away from the ocean might help? Hurricanes scare me. I have an elderly Mom and a disabled hubby.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Oh no! Well being an hour away from the ocean might help? Hurricanes scare me. I have an elderly Mom and a disabled hubby.

It all depends on what side of the projected path Earl takes. Its a decent sized storm and if it rides the coast like they think it might....people 100+ miles inland are gonna get at least something out of this. The outer bands of large hurricanes can produce tornadoes far inland. Especially with this heat we're having right now.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Current view of the Atlantic:

Earl and the new wave need to be watched closely. Most forecast models are showing Princess Fiona weakening and moving away.

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

thanks for that image
that is pretty much the way I remember
it looking when Dennis and Floyd ripped
through the Carolinas. Back to back to back
hurricanes and storms.

It would seem we have a rocky September
in store here on the east coast.

[edit on 1-9-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

It does look bad indeed. Pictures usually draw more people in, and this storm needs to be very closely tracked by anyone close to its path.

Even if it does stay completely offshore, the bands from Earl will more than likely still spawn tornadoes, and cause damage.

A simple degree of variance on Earl's path could make a huge difference between simple beach erosion or catastrophic destruction.

Personally, I am worried that if Earl is a 'dud', that the complacent nature of humans will make them less wary the next time a threat heads their way.

Hopefully, Earl moves even more into the Atlantic, and the NE only has to deal with some strong waves and currents (which can be dangerous, but not massively destructive).

Good luck to everyone affected in any way by this Monster. Keep on tracking!

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MadDogtheHunter

It all depends on what side of the projected path Earl takes. Its a decent sized storm and if it rides the coast like they think it might....people 100+ miles inland are gonna get at least something out of this. The outer bands of large hurricanes can produce tornadoes far inland. Especially with this heat we're having right now.

Tornado???? I'm 52 and have never in my life seen a tornado! That's even scarier than a hurricane. Will be keeping my eye on this thread.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
an update:
some noticeable changes in the weather here already.
The outer bands of Earl are already over certain
portions of NC including where I live.

The temp has cooled down about 6 deg from
normal and we are beginning to see some
wind gusts of about 10 mph.

I'll keep ya updated as long as there is electricity
and internet.

Grocery store shelves are pretty empty and no
bottled water anywhere. Batteries are gone
as well. Bread truck brought fresh bread
this morning but it was sold out before he
could get it on the shelf. Many folks are
staying home today and keeping kids out of
school.

More updates forthcoming as I am able.
Wish us luck

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I was in the Outer Banks 2 weeks ago ..
i wish i was still there to witness the power of nature

and to see the big waves coming on shore
our camp was located 50 meters from the beach

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Unless earl changes course, I don't think we have too much to worry about inland. Many here have never been to the outer banks...they are literall in it's narrower regions no wider than Hwy 12.

The tornadoes that sawn off of the hurricane can be actually worse than the storm itself...that's what happened with fran back in 96. tore my hometown all to pieces...looked like b-52s flew over.

there was so much debris that for almost 6 months, it was continuously ground into mulch... literally filled up a small lake near Raleigh used as a collection site.

Ironically, many here in NC historically look to a hurricane to break the summer droughts that plague us. In fact, if there is little damage..a hurricane can actually produce a nice late summer garden...good for boosting that first fall cutting of hay too. Unfortunately, there is always some damage...

Fiona may actually be the cause for concern... back in 99, dennis tenderized Nc for Floyd which followed.... it saturated the ground with rain so as Floyd followed, the water had no where to go...literally flooded half the state...

Anybody here remember the photos of the hogs ontop of the hog barns?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Don't want to be TOO redundant, but if they are asking you to evacuate, then please don't be stubborn. I PROMISE you when it begins and you are there you will be thinking "I wish I had evacuated, why why why, didn't I leave?"

Remember New Orleans.

Oh, Try to put five hours distance. At least four. With four you will still have some trees down, especially pines, and possible lost power, but won't have structures down, so you can at least have shelter, and the area can probably restore power quickly.

Play scrabble by candlelight, listen to the news with battery radio, and cook out. You will have hot water if gas, so you can still shower.

It's the way. ha.
Guys, I hope and pray it won't be bad.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
FEMA is ready in Rhode Island, just in case.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I posted these over in the Hurricane Watch thread, but I thought it might be good for the people of the NE to see these so that they do not stop monitoring Earl. Even though he is weakening, he is still dangerous.

Tires pushed ashore by Earl in Atlantic Beach, NC:

Nags Head, NC:

Power lines also in Nags Head, NC:

And this sign from New Jersey said it very well:

news.yahoo.com...=/100903/ids_photos_ts/r4109355093.jpg

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join