It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is earth life rare?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I mean earth life not life general. Think of it, our moon was such a rare event, that astronomers think that in the whole universe, the way the moon impacted earth is so rare. Could life arisen without our moon? I don’t think so. Maybe life in the universe is so bizarre from our earth we cannot even comprehend it, because our earth is such a rare event

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

sometimes i look around and wonder how many are actually living.

life means different things to different people, me thinks.

is there life like us out there.

i like to think there are similarities, yes.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Things evolve and change... but we were, basically, put here as is.

/inb4critisicm.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

YIKES! That avatar scared me...

On topic: According to Stephen Hawkin, other life systems just like ours may just be around the corner. In our Galaxy, sure, it's rare. But in compared to the universe, I wonder.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Yes it is....

Some variables that if was just a little off and we would not be here.

1. Got to have the right sun with a surface temp of around 6000 degrees to give us radiation in the light spectrum.

2. Since the heat of the sun cannot be a variable then the planet needs to be in the right orbit from the sun.

3. Planet needs to be the right density to give life a good gravitational range for life to prosper.

4. If we didn’t have the moon then we would have had extreme ranges of seasons and that could have really limited life as we see it. The more advance life is the more delicate it is to the environment, so we might still be just simple life at best without the moon. That means we needed a planet to hit us to create it…kind of rare I would think.

5. Need a long lasting liquid core for the magnetic protection and keep are atmosphere and water in place. Mars is a great example of a core cooling too quickly….need I say more.

6. Venus is about our size and spins about the same so it is a twin of earth…well except for it is hotter than Mercury with its out of control green house, and so life is extremely limited at best there (like bacteria) and most likely nothing is living there. This means it is an extremely delicate balance for any planet to produce life.

&. It is suggested that a solar system needs a massive planet like Jupiter to be the vacuum of the system, and it plays a big role in why the inner life producing planet(s) would form in the first place.

Just a few things off the top of my . that any changes to these and life would not be here.

[edit on 31-8-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
This could point to God being real, but can also mean we're just the product of the universes random nature and for every 10000000 solar systems life can be created. Who knows. Either way we've been gifted.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
It proves nothing. The universe is too big to think in variables IMHO. We are just too small to explore it. Maybe in 200 - 500 years we can figure out the big picture, if we have not blown each other up by then.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Yeah, earth life is rare to most people.

Is it rare in the entire universe? Only in the minds of people who can't get beyond what they think they know, scientist included.

Just my opinion.

I don't dare suppose that what we "know" on this planet must be what is in the rest of this universe, or the other possible universises.

Maybe of topic, but I have a friend who lives in Israel and calls herself a Jew.
She is athiest, however, all she talks about concerning humans is what she has read in her history books, you know, the history of the Hebrews in the ancient religious texts.

There is no history concerning humankind before her "people" were "gven" their land by a God.

It's kind of funny to me.

I'm happy she is so "open minded" about it all.

Yet if I talk about there might be life on other planets, technology that we mere humans have not even discovered, she claims it's all impossible.
So much for an open mind.

Obviously, we humans are the best that the universe ever created, and Jews are special because everybody hates them.

But it all has nothing to do with, well, anything. lol

Except there is no God. And we are the pinnacle of creation.

Sadly, my friend is NOT rare.

So, yes, we humans might be rare. I hope so!

Are we humans on Earth rare. in that we are the best the universe created? Oh, may lightning strike me dead, now, if that is true. lol
Are we rare because we had a lot of time to evolve and failed? God damn! I sure hope so!

Kudos to all ya others in the universe who might have evolved way past us here on Earth! And did it in a way that there was minimal strife and needless death and destruction.

top topics

join