It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pemmican and Flatbread -- survivalists' travel food

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by FeastofTrumpets
reply to post by Son of Will

Extremely accurate. All one does is discuss and discuss. Action speaks
louder than words. Hiding out in the woods won't save anyone as whatever
is planned will reach all isolated areas. The self-assumed dictators everyone
calls "elite" should be eliminated as they are the root of all evil and
liberty. The American people are likened to a bunch of tenants bowing
to some king in a castle. I thought we had gone past this.

Lots of ppl call for the ouster, but as time has proven most ppl
just end up refugees.

The first ppl to be "handled" will be in the cities as they are already
nicely gathered.

The ppl are buying guns, but ppl like what they have right now so
nothing is happening til it gets a fair bit worse.

www.ammoland.com...

USA Gun Owners Buy 14 Million Plus Guns In 2009 – More Than 21 of the Worlds Standing Armies Combined That is 14,033,824,000 billion+ rounds of Ammo..you think that is why we have an Ammo shortage?

NAIS, S.787, and Codex have ppl upset, but right now it is just
a lot of hot air.

The only ppl who will make it once it goes wonky are those who
hide well, it happened in Germany.

The Bielski partisans of WW2 are a perfect example, except they
swatted the hornets nest and some of them died for it.

en.wikipedia.org...

If they were pure survival they'd have just left the Germans to
getting smacked around by the Russians, and after the Russians
turned on the partisans they REALLY wished they had just laid low.

Out of sight is out of mind, and why I believe more in a Ghillie than
a fire arm.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
S&F will read when im off work =D

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Ehe! wikasin boy! I grew up in Northern saskatchewan. Not a lot of culture anymore I wouldn't mind going back and learning more cree and about native spirituality. Im actually quite attracted to the spirituality of shamanism for some reason.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Pretty cool that pemmican. Like the original Cliff bar.

Ever have any hard tack? You could build a house out of it.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Grandpa's recipie was

cup dried and pulverized meat .
cup of crushed nuts acorn walnut sunflower or any nut he said his tradition was pine or walnuts.
a few tbl spoons maple syrup
cup of dried currents raspberries blackberries strawberries or any fruit cut smashed ground to very small pieces. he said currents were the traditional one used
heated tallow enough to mix all above to a dough like consistency.

make into small balls golf ball to hard ball sized then cover the balls with another layer of tallow this layer was for preserving the food .

If they were made for long term storage or for hiding along a trail you would place a few days worth in a leather bag covered inside and out with tallow then it would be sown shut . If done properly this method I was told could preserve food for for years . Then buried along a trail every few days the return trip they would have no burden from carrying supplies just find dig up eat and move . Depending on the purpose of the trip hunting or raiding /war water would also be buried along with the pemmican .

edited for spelling

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Lostinthedarkness]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Mate thanks for this, this is awesome always wanted to know half of this stuff was only just looking at mre type food a week or so ago so this was something i was definately after now off to make some jerky and cheers for the upload very helpful

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I remember a historian saying that they can't wait to find one of the well hidden cache's of Pemmican. They said they wouldn't be surprised if the ingredients of the hide bags were perfectly preserved. Only because the food was bathed in oils or fat's that didn't allow the food to be exposed to oxygen therefore extending the life of the food. How long it lasted? I don't know. This was the stuff that they sold during the fur trader days. When they bought the food it would have to last 1 whole year because they only went to trade once a year.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
This is a little off topic but....My grandmother told me back in the days before refrigeration/freezers her family used to can most of their meat. I know you can still can meat today, but I wonder if anyone has tried it, and if so, how was it? What kind of meat did you can? I buy a side of beef and pork at a time and I really worry about losing power.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Yes! My seafaring ancestors carried a lot of hardtack. Basically a flat bisquit that was so dry that it became a potentially structural component. My grandfather claimed that he chipped a tooth from eating hardtack at sea.

I think you bring up a good point, in the introduction of hardtack. When I was a boy, our neighbors would take 'corn dodgers' on deer hunt. These are wonderful fresh, and become more conrete-like as time goes by. I can remember gnawing on them, and they tasted like crap, but they filled a hole. That's really what we're talking about here -- not gourmet food, but something that fills a hole, and sustains a person for a time, all the while being a food that resists spoilage and is portable.

Probably should include hard sausage here too. Our Italian neighbors were also fond of kasari (sp?) -- goat cheese and hard sausage. This sausage, I believe could've been shot as a projectile, but damn it was good. Took a lot of chewing and could ride in saddle bags without any apparent harm.

reply to post by virraszto

I think your comment fits within the spirit of the topic. I've canned cooked beef. It seems to be helpful to encase the meat in a gravy, so as to fill the container (in my case Mason jars) completely and exclude air. I've also been successful in canning butter, of all things. Canning, pickeling, dehydrating -- those methods of food preservation all fit within this thread, imo.

I am learning from all of you. Thank you. I hope we don't need any of this information to survive, but it won't hurt a bit having it. I choose to practice these methods NOW, while I don't need them. To me, it's not enough to think that a person can do X if TSHTF. We need to practice and be confident in our abilities.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I touched on pita bread earlier. Many folks don't know how to make it. I've been able to make it in a solar oven even, but the sun has to be very direct.

Here's how pita bread is made. I choose to use wheat flour. I don't add yeast, but I do add some oil -- in my case homemade coconut oil.

Seven parts flour, two parts (by volume) water, 1/2 part oil. Add water as necessary to make a mound of dough. Let it sit, covered, to rise a bit.

Knead it and let it sit again.

Roll out on a floured board as though you were going to make tortillas. Place the flat rounds of dough in the oven on high heat (400 degrees F+/200+ C). The high heat will cause the tortilla to rise. Turn it over once, and then remove from the oven. When the pita has cooled, it can be cut in half and stuffed with whatever you choose.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join