It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet The Tiny Crustaceans In Your Tap Water

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Article:

newsfeed.time.com...

New York City is known for having excellent tap water, but why does it taste so good? It might be the microscopic shrimp. Tiny copepods were discovered after a reddit user uploaded photos of what they found through the other end of a microscope after adding H&E stain to New York tap water. According to blog Gizmodo, copepods are added to water to eat mosquito larvae, keeping water sources clear. But besides a serious "ick" factor, the copepods are technically crustaceans, which means they aren't kosher for the city's large Orthodox, observant Jewish population. Reports of requests by the Jewish community to have the water "purified" surfaced in 2004, but according to the Department of Environmental Protection, extracting the creatures wasn't possible, claiming that they deliver health benefits to water reservoirs. "When it comes to delivery, if there is a spike and you are not comfortable with what you see in your water, all we can recommend is a commercial filter, which will effectively filter them out," DEP spokesman Charles Sturcken told Water & Waste Digest.

Not sure if this is the proper place for this article, but I could not find any fitting forum. Anyway, I sure didn't know there were 'copepods' in my drinking water. Makes you wonder what else the local government deliberately puts in our drinking water supply.

[edit on 31-8-2010 by frozenspark]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by frozenspark

well, fluoride, for one is added to most tap water.

I'm surprised they just didn't add some chemical to get rid of mosquito larvae. If I were Jewish and living in NYC, I would be pissed.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Send the jews some shrimp sauce for their shrimp LOL!

If this is all they have to be pissy about, they're doing pretty damn good!

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I am confused about what I am supposed to be taking away from all of this...

... All I have taken away is that I am supposed to drink my tap water with drawn lemon-butter.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Want to see bodies in water bottles?

Get your bottled water and freeze it. Then defrost it and shake it and look at all the floaters.... nutritious.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Shouldn't bottled water companies list these microscopic animals in the ingredients section? Same goes for fluoride.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

You are buying bottled water, not lifeform-free water.

Water has life.

[edit on 31-8-2010 by Exuberant1]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

According to blog Gizmodo, copepods are added to water to eat mosquito larvae, keeping water sources clear.

Read more: newsfeed.time.com...

So the orthodox Jews would prefer to have mosquito larvae in their drinking water, compared to microscopic crustaceans? What a wacky way to live one's life. You'd like to think that common sense might prevail at some point but eh, that's religion for you.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

You are buying bottled water, not lifeform-free water.

Water has life.

[edit on 31-8-2010 by Exuberant1]

Bingo, and I would rather take these shrimps over nasty chemicals.
I have been drinking tap water my entire life and not once has it gotten me sick.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
The solution is to get over it and go on about your life. We all know our water is full of stuff. We've all seen microscopic images of our eyelashes and skin which are crawling with all sorts of monsters. We all know there's all kinds of horrid things inside our stomachs and intestines. They're microscopic. Who cares? In the immortal words of Sir Elton: "it's the circle of life ... and it moves us all."

As for the Jewish part, I would imagine most Jews (though obviously not all) could come to terms with the microscopic world not being cogent to their dietary restrictions. Most vegetarian stuff has creatures in it, so I would imagine a lot of kosher items have non-kosher issues, regardless of preparation or precautions. I think, for those who are concerned with silly notions like not being able to eat certain things for religious reasons, that it's the intent ... at least it should be for reasonable people.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Is that thing lookin up at the camera?

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by soleprobe

It kinda looks like a picture, turned on its side, of a black-skinned little girl with pig tails, parachuting.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hadrian

Well I would prefer to have it filtered out... I don't need the extra protein.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I understand why Kosher-keeping Jews would be upset about this - Kosher laws are very strict and there really isn't meant to be any leeway. However, the truth is Jews have probably been drinking microscopic crustaceans in their water for as long as there have been Jews, only they didn't know it until recently.

I wonder if the answer to this problem is a PUR or Brita water filter on their tap. I got one the get rid of things like mercury and sediments and such (NYC water is very hard).

As a non-Kosher-keeping Jew, I don't have any problems with this. In fact, coming originally from Baltimore, pretty much my favorite food in the world is Maryland steamed crabs (as it was with most of the Jewish kids I grew up with).

new topics

top topics

join