It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wealthy lawmakers increased their riches as economy sputtered in '09

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

The wealthiest members of Congress grew richer in 2009 even as the economy struggled to recover from a deep recession.

The 50 wealthiest lawmakers were worth almost $1.4 billion in 2009, about $85.1 million more than 12 months earlier, according to The Hill’s annual review of lawmakers’ financial disclosure forms.

While the economy struggled through a recession during much of 2009 and the nation’s unemployment rate soared to 10 percent, the stock market rebounded, helping lawmakers with large investments. The S&P 500 rose by about 28 percent in 2009.

The list is comprised of more Democrats than Republicans... this is a surprise to me... I thought that they were the ones that were accusing the Republicans of being the elitist rich?

John Kerry is on top, being married to the Heinz fortune.

This whole thing makes me ill, to be frank, though it isn't a surprise. We are teetering on the brink of deep depression in this country, in my humble opinion, if not in a depression already.
A Plutonomy, ala the leaked Citibank memo, the goal of the elite, is something that seems to be gaining ground in this country.
Source for information in italics:

thehill.com...

new topics

join