It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupid Radio

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Dear Goodwrenchers,

I have the strangest deal going on with my automobile radio ...

When I start the car in the morning the whole thing works perfectly, but then as drive along, within five minutes it starts to crackle and the volume all but disappears ... in fact in order to barely hear it I have to turn it all the way up.

The odd thing is that this only happens with FM and AM radio ... if I switch back to CD/CD changer/tape the volume works as it should.

What could possibly affect the volume in AM/FM but not affect any other source?

Keep in mind I don't think it is an antenna issue because after it stops crackling the reception is perfect except that the volume is extremely low.

I've tried to look around mr internet to find an answer but could not manage.
I must confess that there's a small part of me that thinks the guvmint has hidden a recording/tracking device in mah car and it's affecting my radio.

Seriously though, does anyone have a clue as to what this may be?

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Thats a very strange problem, what kind of car is it modern or vintage? I know a lot of new cars have a function that makes the radio louder as your speed increases and quieter when you slow down!

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Yup, tis strange indeed.

It's a 2006 Crown Vic LX and it doesn't have the automatic speed sensitive volume control. I has a mute button for cell calls but that's not the issue.

Btw, the Ford service guy was less than helpful, he had no clue what the issue is and his genius proclaimed that I should replace the radio to see if that makes a difference.
It's not that I mind replacing the radio, it's just that his moronic gaze gave me no confidence.

ETA: The fist to radio strategy has already been implemented to no effect.

[edit on 31 Aug 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Theres a factory bulletin concerning radio reception in that car on this page (start about 1/4 way down) don't know if that help, it concerns the type that has the aerial built into the glass.

article

This page might also help

[edit on 31-8-2010 by davespanners]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Thank you very much davespanners.

I actually communicated with one of the certified mechanics on the first site you linked me to and he was very helpful. Apparently it's an issue with the radio chassis which needs to be replaced. So I guess I'll do that and save myself the money of having to get a new radio.

Thanks again, you were very helpful.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Thats good news! I enjoy researching obscure things and playing amateur detective, it makes me feel like Columbo

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Thank you very much davespanners.

I actually communicated with one of the certified mechanics on the first site you linked me to and he was very helpful. Apparently it's an issue with the radio chassis which needs to be replaced. So I guess I'll do that and save myself the money of having to get a new radio.

Thanks again, you were very helpful.

Hello.. I am having the same problem. And when I made my research on auto repair I found out the root cause was the radio chassis and I had it fixed yesterday but now it's going nuts again. I don't want to take it again to the repair shop because I already spent a lot yesterday. What could be wrong now?

join