It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God's press officer...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
It takes a huge amount of ignorance to think that you can be capable of explaining God and his motives......fortunately I am that delusional so here we go.

Our arrogant conscious

People usually presume that their conscious mind is much more important then their unconscious mind. We see it as the crown of our evolution and the essence of being human.

It might be useful to realize that the terms "conscious" and "unconscious" are misleading. Like with "natural" / "unnatural" or "normal" / "abnormal", one is the norm and the other is an aberration of that norm. The term "conscious/unconscious mind" gives the sense that one is "normal" and the other is the dark counterpart that should be observed with caution. Looking at the real relation between the conscious and the unconscious mind, this notion is ridiculous.

The first misconception is that our conscious mind makes us intelligent and rational. We all think that the choices we make are based on rational thinking. The proverb "look before you leap" expresses this thought pattern pretty good. The truth is that sometimes thinking things through can result in a better outcome, sometimes it doesn't make a difference and sometimes thinking things through will lead to the worst of results.

The second misconception is that our conscious mind is what defines us as human. If that were the case then our unconscious mind should not differ from that of a chimpanzee or a dog. Yet any human child has the capacity to learn an entire language without much effort....

The third misconception is we think our conscious is so important that we can not imagine being without it. We can play with the thought of losing an arm or a leg (it's not pleasant but we can imagine it). But life without a conscious mind?? It's even a bit scary to imagine yourself without a sense of awareness.

Most people think that somehow our conscious will live on after we die. Religious people have the afterlife to comfort them selfs. But also non-religious people will often believe that when they die their conscious goes somewhere. "I don't believe in heaven or God but I do believe that this is not all", is a commonly heard phrase.

The question is not what happens after you die but why people put so much value in the illusion of the survival of their conscious mind and why they fear the loss of it so much.

As overwhelming as the thought of losing your conscious can be, the fear is completely unfunded. For who is it that gives us the notion that our conscious mind is of the greatest importance??.......that's right, our conscious mind!!

In other words, our conscious mind is responsible for the illusion that being without a conscious mind is a terrible thing. That's pretty pretentious, creating the illusion that you cannot be missed. If you wouldn't have a conscious, you would not be aware of the fact that you do not have a conscious mind. It really isn't that scary, after all, we do sleep 8 hours a day of which 6 are without dreams. At that moment our conscious mind is completely inactive....I kinda like it when I am without a conscious mind from time to time.

But the biggest misconception of them all

The biggest misconception we have is the illusion that somehow our conscious mind is in charge. We think that our conscious mind is the one continuously pulling the strings and taking the important decisions. It is the core of our psychological system. It is tempting to see our brain as a big company where our conscious mind is the C.E.O. He takes all the important decisions and delegates tasks to other departments.

When you look at a door you do not directly see a door. You see shapes (a square slightly larger then an average person) and colors (for instance brown). Only after your unconscious mind integrates all these things into a complete picture, your conscious mind is handed over the product of this process and you see a door.

It is also tempting to think that certain unconscious processes (like breathing) are delegated by the conscious mind because "the boss shouldn't have to attend to such basic functions in his company".

The fact of the matter is.....there is no "boss" in our head, there is no authoritative source overlooking the entire process.

So where did this notion come from that our conscious mind is so much more important then our unconscious mind?? Simple, we are only conscious of the conscious processes that go on in our head!! Compare it to an iceberg, if you look at an iceberg and you know nothing about the physics behind an iceberg, you will say that the 10% sticking above the water is the entire iceberg. While 90% of the iceberg is still submerged and out of your view.

Anyway, we can conclude that consciousness plays but a small part in what we do. But even when the conscious mind plays a part, what is it's role? Does it actually take decisions or does it merely become aware of unconscious decisions already taken??

It is presumable that our conscious just follows what our unconscious tells it. With that, our "boss" is reduced from a C.E.O. to a press officer. He knows what is going on in the big picture and is able to share this information with others. But it does not interfere with the processes that go on in the company. He is merely informed about decisions already taken.

Because our conscious has the information regarding the decision taken it creates the illusion that it controls our behavior and decisions. So it is not only a very naive press officer but also a very arrogant one.

Hazing serves as a perfect example of how our conscious mind creates illusions. Every group (gangs, clubs, sports teams, military units, and workplaces) has it's own ritual when initiating new people into that group. Hazing is a very important process because it strengthens the bond among new members and the bond with that group.

Usually the process is associated with either physical violence or mentally degrading practices. The bigger the humiliation, the stronger the bond will be.
But the funny thing is, when people are asked why they feel such a strong bond with that particular group they will always say because of the nice people in that group or because their group is much better then all the other groups.....

So our press officer is not only very naive and arrogant, he also lies to us...

So what does this have to do with God??

In realizing that our conscious mind is BS-ing us about his own importance I came to realization that our notion of God is kind of similar.

What does every God of every religion have in common??

The fact that it is God who is the most important!!

I have yet to see a religion that says their God is important but the God of an other religion is more important. Even people who are not religious can form an idea about what God would be like but then still that God will always be the one in charge. Responsible for everything. The "boss" of our reality, if you will.

But who are the one's perpetuating the notion that God is everything and all??

Exactly, we are....

Could it be that we are God's consciousness? Like we have our five senses of touch, taste, smell etc. We are God's sensory device to experience awareness.

And if we are God's consciousness and we are convincing him that his conscious mind is the most important, are we not in fact praising our selfs?? (or BS-ing him)

We are the God that we praise!!

I hope I haven't lost you people on my somewhat confusing theory but if you managed to struggle through the whole thing, I would love to hear your opinion!!

Peace

Edit: changed the title of the thread.

[edit on 31-8-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Apparently somebody is a little trigger happy when it comes to handing out stars..
(thanks anyway)

Peace

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

You are not god an you are not the universe, you serve the guy in red ?
Just because energy can merge it does not mean that you are god.
I would be smarter not to give my energy away, your soul that is, at that very moment you do not exist anymore. Big fish eats small fish, the big fish still is the big fish, thinks like a big fish, small fish is gone.

They are merging against the big G, they are going to lose, and they are merging with tricks, they are tricksters, the guys dress in red. They are going to lose because information gathering has already been processed and sent.

I am dressed in red, all I say is BS, I even trick my self, all people have to do is accept, these people are radicals, look around you they run the world. I keep secrets, I trick people, I appear on tv and smile, I make movies.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   

What does every God of every religion have in common?

They are imaginary (you were the one who admitted delusion)

Nice enough thread by the way, sorry to say though nothing new your'e basically rehashing Neale Donald Walsche , Deepak Chopra et al .
On this face of it this would be fine but we keep coming up against the minor problem of evidence.

As much as it would be reality cool to create our own reality if we could harness this mechanism we need something solid and tangible like evidence to proceed. Unfortunate anecdotal and hearsay will not do as evidence so we are no further ahead than when we began.

Ahhhh, that was soooo much better than debating a crazy christian, please continue.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Djin
They are imaginary (you were the one who admitted delusion)

So are Mickey and Donald but if I ask my kid what they have in common he will not say that they are imaginary. He will say that they are both really nice or something to that extend.

I guess the same goes for people who believe in God. I did not want to attack any particular religion so I asked it as neutrally as possible. If we "assume" there is a God and we realize there are different people adoring different Gods, then what would these Gods have in common.

Nice enough thread by the way, sorry to say though nothing new your'e basically rehashing Neale Donald Walsche , Deepak Chopra et al .

I have never ever even heard of these people. So somebody already thought this up?? Cr*p, I can never have an original thought!!

On this face of it this would be fine but we keep coming up against the minor problem of evidence.

But that wasn't my intention. I didn't create this thread in the hope of reaching some kind of proof. Just exchanging thoughts.....

As much as it would be reality cool to create our own reality if we could harness this mechanism we need something solid and tangible like evidence to proceed.

Oh but then you clearly did not understand what I was trying to say. We are not actively creating our reality. I think reality solidified when we became aware of it. I am saying that the God that is telling us how important he is, is merely us (God conscious mind) telling God how important his conscious mind is...... (read it over like three times!!)

please continue.

Done.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

Hazing serves as a perfect example of how our conscious mind creates illusions. Every group (gangs, clubs, sports teams, military units, and workplaces) has it's own ritual when initiating new people into that group. Hazing is a very important process because it strengthens the bond among new members and the bond with that group.

Usually the process is associated with either physical violence or mentally degrading practices. The bigger the humiliation, the stronger the bond will be.
But the funny thing is, when people are asked why they feel such a strong bond with that particular group they will always say because of the nice people in that group or because their group is much better then all the other groups.....

So our press officer is not only very naive and arrogant, he also lies to us...

No real individual or free thinking person ever buys into this crap. They may put up with it for a time or reason.

"Hazing is a very important process because it strengthens the bond among new members and the bond with that group".

A persons lights have to be out to come under this effect without understanding what is happening to them. Like being f'ed in prison and mistaking it for love. If its going to happen to you do know that it is probably not for youer best intrest......we dont need anyone around here that wount take it up the #, the attitude may catch on. "Thats they way he wants it so thats they way he gets it"...

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Logarock,

You can read up on this in the "Journal of abnormal and social psychology" (issue 1959) "The effects of severity of initiation on liking for the group" by psychologists Eliot Aronson and Judith Mills.

It's normal human behavior, believe me. I could give you an other example with which you might agree more...would you like that?

Thanks for the input.

Peace

edit: corrected the suggested reading material

[edit on 31-8-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I love this topic! I am haughty and arrogant too, as I do love to speculate on the question of "what is God?".

I'm not set on any theory in this vein (I could elaborate on a handful), nor am I even set on the idea that God exists at all. But I do love to speculate. Lately I've been seeing God as a kind of cosmic consciousness born of the fractal nature of reality. To illustrate, we are composed of cells. Each cell has its own function, responding to purely local stimuli and sort of doing its own thing. And they die off, yet we continue to perceive ourselves as a single continuous being, like a Ship of Theseus.

Now let's go another level up on the fractal. Look at a nation. What is the USA? It is composed of people. But it is composed of entirely different people than it was 100 years ago, and yet we still perceive it as one continuous nation. One wonders if groups of people have a sort of ineffable consciousness, one that can never be understood or experienced by us, in the same way the neurons and other cells in our body do their own thing but are never aware of the grand human consciousness of which they are a part. This is not my idea, see China brain.

God then would be the top level of this fractal system. The consciousness of the entire universe.

But is this a mere philosophical sentimentality, or can God actually affect the world? The latter is in fact plausible, via a cosmic analog of biofeedback. What would be the point of God having a consciousness if it were not striving for anything? Perhaps God is ultimately striving for perfection and unification of the masculine and feminine ideals of wisdom and love. And through his conscious strivings he has an effect on us via our unconscious (in the Jungian sense).

His "goal" then would be more and more people becoming self-aware and unifying the opposites within them. When enough people finally individuate, if this ever reaches a critical mass there will be essentially a collective individuation of civilizations, nations, and humanity. And thus the Universe/God grows into the next stage in development.

In any case, it should be clear that I don't believe God is an invisible bearded man who lives in the sky and makes it his point to judge the personal lives of what might as well be ants.

Fun thread! S&F!

[edit on 31-8-2010 by NewlyAwakened]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

NewlyAwakened,

That is so cool!! Thanks for all that info...

I was playing with the idea that inside my mind a universe of its own exists of which I am the God. Only the people living in this universe, the ones that are aware (my conscious) insist that the God that I am is only my conscious mind. Although I realize that I am so much more then just my conscious mind. I wish the people in my universe would realize this.....(although I do not blame them, they can only be aware of that which they are aware of)

I love discussing things like this and I am definitely inviting you to my next birthday party!!

Peace

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

No worries! If I may be so bold I'd like to make a book recommendation. If you've never read the book Answer to Job by Carl Jung, I suspect you'd really enjoy it. And it's short!

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

NewlyAwakened,

Thanks for the suggestion. I love reading books and especially psychology books. I will get me a copy of that book!!

Carl Jung now why does that name ring a bell??

Peace

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

No I follow you...just shooting.

I have been in settings that used these tactics...did well in some not well well in others. The problem I have found with this prosses is that it turns into down right abuse depending on the groups goals aim ect ideas about things...and...how badly one really wants to be a part of the hive.

[edit on 31-8-2010 by Logarock]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
im too tired for this right now. but i will say this, we're all human, essentially. We're all just as susceptible to these internal confusions, delusions, paranoias and projections as the next sentientorganism, regardless of how strong we consciously perceive our minds to be, or how weakly we allow ourselves to perceive..just projections, from the subterreanean homesick blues: The unfamiliarity and insecurity at the heart of the depressive heart. But again we find love, like a postage stamp, we must stick it till we get there. "as they say". Will god ever reveal himself to the human heart?

Is this question a psycho-contradiction of terms.

I feel like a vector quantity, lost in the matrix, oh right, humanity. Ubuntu build. Home. time to reboot i feel.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

Carl Jung now why does that name ring a bell??

Peace

~~ hmm Jung's synchronicity, at work once again, perhaps!

The celestine prophecies were true!

new topics

top topics

join