It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama could kill fossil fuels overnight with a nuclear dash for thorium

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Obama could kill fossil fuels overnight with a nuclear dash for thorium

www.telegraph.co. uk

If Barack Obama were to marshal America’s vast scientific and strategic resources behind a new Manhattan Project, he might reasonably hope to reinvent the global energy landscape and sketch an end to our dependence on fossil fuels within three to five years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Firstly there is an old thread relating to Thorium here: www.abovetopsecret.com... being that it is a couple of years old and this news might be missed by people interested I started a new thread.

The authors of this article try and spin this to say that its all down to Obama to fix the power needs of the world. I do not think that is really the point. There is already activity, particularly in Norway to exploit Thorium as a solution to future nuclear power needs.

I am glad I did a search before posting this story to see that Scandinavians started looking at thorium as a viable alternative several years ago.

The most revealing aspect of the article for me is the cessation of exploration into the use of Thorium as nuclear fuel as it did not provide the Plutonium by product of uanium needed for US weapons.

Further more the revelation that Thorium in effect will 'clean' existing nuclear power plants by 'eating' the harmful waste products of our existing nuclear technology.

Even better! The energy/volume ratio of Thorium is staggering - in effect 1/200th of the volume for the same energy output as Uranium.

The final factor in the discovery of Thorium and the technique to exploit the technology is its abundance all over the globe - in particular the USofA. Until now Thorium has been considered a waste product by mining companies seeking the rare metals.

www.telegraph.co. uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

Beat you to it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please contribute though.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Petroleum oil is not a 'fossil fuel. The the ptb at that time wanted us to think that it was a limited supply so that they could control the prices.

Oil is organic, by itself, and replenishes itself in the natural reservoirs under the ground. There are no such things as "fossil fuels".

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starbug3MY
Petroleum oil is not a 'fossil fuel. The the ptb at that time wanted us to think that it was a limited supply so that they could control the prices.

Oil is organic, by itself, and replenishes itself in the natural reservoirs under the ground. There are no such things as "fossil fuels".

I lol'd.

It's not a fossil fuel but it's organic?

I'm not going to respond in full to your post because it's so absurd that it doesn't need any discussion to discredit it... and in any case it's fairly irrelevant because oil is seldom used to generate electricity, which is what Nuclear does. Rather, Nuclear competes with (mainly) Coal.

Is Coal not a fossil fuel?

[edit on 31/8/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Starbug3MY

Fossil fuels are organic in nature as to how they are formed or at least that's what science is saying last time I checked. Here en.wikipedia.org... and the process of decomposition is here en.wikipedia.org.... I thought you might want to know since it seems your pretty off. Here also is a brief understanding of how oil prices are controlled and it's called OPEC auto.howstuffworks.com...

[edit on 31-8-2010 by QuestionTheGovernment]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Don't laugh! I laughed too, but the more I read about the "abiotic oil" theory, the more plausible it seems. It has a lot of mainstream support, but it is not publicized very well.

I don't know if it is true, but I have stopped laughing at the idea.

As for the threads on Thorium, this is the first I have heard of it, and it sounds AWESOME!

First and foremost, it sounds like a viable source for "rogue" states like Iran and N. Korea. They can have nuclear power without upsetting TPTB and getting themselves bombed into the stone age.

Second it sounds like it can be obtained with less volume and less waste, and using a material that is currently considered useless.

Great find!

top topics

join