It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the United States leave the UN?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I'm quite sure this could become very heated if it becomes a large debate. I am just interested in what you think and why.

Please state your position in Bold then underneath it explain your reason why you support or oppose leaving the UN.

Yes

I believe the United States should leave the UN and there is a long list of reasons why we should. First let me state that I do not dislike any of my fellow humans just because they are not Americans, I cannot stress that enough. I also do not think obnoxiously about America, I am pretty fair.

Let's start off with the trade situation. I am so angry with America's trade deficit, it is over one trillion dollars according to the last estimates and growing larger. How can we ever expect to be a great nation unless we are actually selling things? America must learn to tighten the belt when it comes to spending and demand that we close down this failed policy of free trade. Not even Fair Trade can save us.

We have spent most of the time from 1860's to the 1960's with Protectionist economic policies where we raised most of our revenue from our tariffs which allowed taxes to be very low. We need to exit international free trade and focus on American manufacturing and farming once again, put Americans back to work by building American and buying American.

Another point is that our veto power would no longer exist which would mean that Israel would not have its ass saved 24/7. We would also not be forced into stupid international laws that harm American interests or laws that are created by unelected bankers who run the International communities. Remove America from all trade agreements and all other international alliances including NATO.

If we are not part of the international community at a UN level then our pathetic politicians won't have a good excuse to act as the world's police or fighting in the ME.

It would also protect American culture which is constantly being corrupted by these international elite who push consumerism on us as if buying more and more things will make us happy or will fill a void. We have a problem when half of marriages end in divorce, there are so many unwed single mothers, both parents are forced to work and we are told the only way for an economic recovery is for us to spend more and more money. We need to end this ‘politically incorrect’ bull crap which is ruining our country, it is teaching us to be weak and sympathetic to minorities when we should treat them equal.

So to end, I think our best interest is to leave the UN and protect America, Americans and American culture.

[edit on 8/31/2010 by Misoir]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Just a single star?

Why has no one commented on this? It seems like a pretty good question right?

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

The elite did all that you oppose because they gain money and power from it all..

The voice of the people has been silenced.

The "people" need to be heard..

Thats what needs to be changed..

The rest will follow..

BTW, the UN has always been a useless voice, not listened to by TPTB unless it suited their needs..

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Good question and I will be interested to see the responses. However, I feel it will make no difference, it does not matter. They defy the UN if it goes against them but vote heavily and gets its allies onside when dishing out sanctions to their foes.
I think the US is in a win win situation. They get what they want if not they do what they want (within reason) anyway.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

If they do, can they pay their back dues on the way out?

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

The UN owes the US.

But don't let that stop you.

*And yes the USA should leave the UN. The UN is useless and has no credibility. Ask Israel.

And the UN tries to undermine national sovereignty. Scumbags that they are.

[edit on 31-8-2010 by Exuberant1]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

The UN owes the US. But don't let that stop you.

Well, well, mea culpa...looks like the US negotiated a settlement in 2009 though I'm having a bit of trouble finding the details. How the UN now owes the US seems a matter for debate.

But as flawed as the UN may be, I don't really think it's wise to give the US free rein over the rest of the world without some degree of accountability. You will likely claim that the UN infringes on the inherent rights of Americans...but that's kind of a lame attitude when the US happily infringes upon the rights of any other nation it pleases.

Somebody has to hold up a mirror...

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
While the UN is not very useful on large issues or conflicts as the UN operates at the will of its members and if such members do not agree on something the UN does nothing. The UN also had little to nothing to with our trade agreements. UN treaties and decrees also can not be enforced unless the US is willing to take action. The UN in many cases is used as a political tool of US foriegn policy. All that being said the UN does do a great deal of good at lower levels when it comes to helping the poor, feeding the hungry and fighting medical problems. It works well at these issue because these are things that all nations agree on. For all its flaws a US withdrawl would be foolish.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Implying?

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Should the United States leave the UN?

This is an old question... one that has been around for nearly as long as the UN itself.

At one time, I would have said no, because the US needs to be a part of an organization that is so influential to the rest of the world. If we were to walk away from it, chances are pretty good that the body would fall under the sway of some potential enemy and then, we would have no forum to counter it.

But with age has come a slow realization and change in viewpoint. Today I think the US would do better by leaving. This is because the UN seeks to not only be a global forum and mediator, but also eventually the seat of world government.

I do see many from both sides of the political aisle in my own country who are apparently inclined to bow and surrender the US Constitution and Bill of Rights to the UN.

I am firmly against this...

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Implying?

No implication at all...a statement that the best interests of those who control the US do not necessarily represent the best interests of the planet as a whole. At least the UN provides a forum for the little guy to comment.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

At least the UN provides a forum for the little guy to comment.

The UN attempts to undermine national sovereignty.

The Toronto Star provides a place for the little guy to comment also.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

At least the UN provides a forum for the little guy to comment.

The UN attempts to undermine national sovereignty.

...and those controlling the US don't?

At the very least, a resolution of the United Nations has a little more significance to the historical record than would a letter to the editor of the Star.

Besides, you never know who'll administer the next set of war crimes tribunals.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
There has been several scandals at the UN like the oil for food deal.

The UN often ignores situations like Darfur in Sudan, and
East Timor, Myanmar, Tibet, etc etc.

The UN isn't really there to help democracy like it says.

That is all a smoke screen.

They do not give a damn about democracy.

Watch what they do, not what they say.

When you look at the funding you will see the US pays about
700% more than Canada, thou with us playing policeman
of the world I can't blame Canada for that.

en.wikipedia.org...

We do most of the paying and the dying, and trouble making.

Just like the League of Nations was a colossal failure so is the UN.

700+ bases in 130+ countries the US is the new Rome and most
of the world is sick of it.

Right now the congress critters are fortunate the nation is mostly
sheep who will just sit there and take it.

Thou the sheep seem to have taken a recent interest in rifles.

www.ammoland.com...

So when things go kinda wonky I am heading for the hills where
damn near no one lives til the 2nd civil war cools off.

Good Luck to all the good ppl !!!

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I know it seems like a new topic, but when I was a kid and Barry Goldwater ran for President (1964) there were plenty of bumper stickers and billboards that read: "Get US out of the UN". The reputation of the UN has diminished significantly since those days. My view is that it is a distraction, a non-issue - the UN is the last great bastion of statism and as such the US is obliged to participate.

gj

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_MislTech
There has been several scandals at the UN like the oil for food deal.
The UN often ignores situations like Darfur in Sudan, and
East Timor, Myanmar, Tibet, etc etc.
The UN isn't really there to help democracy like it says.
That is all a smoke screen.
They do not give a damn about democracy.
Watch what they do, not what they say.

It is certainly no democracy when all the juice belongs to the Security Council. And I don't know that spreading democracy is their role either. Is it not more of a forum? Certainly it plays an enforcement role...when the Security Council approves, that is.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

reply to post by Misoir

If they do, can they pay their back dues on the way out?

Source

Personally I would love to see the US pull out of the UN. Cut all funding and support and let them think about what it is that they are all about.

I also think we should leave NATO!.
Pull back our forces from around the globe and leave only those forward locations that are of strategic importance other than that the "Empire" needs to be consolidated.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

One of the major points of leaving the UN is so that we cannot dictate our policies to the world, we cannot justify being the international policeman and we cannot give Israel it's protection from UN investigations.

In order for us to leave the UN on good grounds is for us to adopt the old American Non-Interventionism.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

WTF!? Stupid double post.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

A third post!?

new topics

top topics