It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kim Jong Ill has no followers on Twitter... Maybe a few.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   

SEOUL (AFP) – North Korea accused The South Monday of blocking its people from accessing online social-networking sites launched by the secretive communist country.

Pyongyang opened a Twitter account on August 12 after its foray into popular video-sharing website YouTube, prompting a game of online cat-and-mouse with Seoul which has struggled to stop its citizens following The North's official website, Uriminzokkiri.

South Korea has been "crazy to stop its people from gaining access to video and messages posted on our YouTube and Twitter," said a statement seen on the North's website.

news.yahoo.com...

Kimmy wants attention but nobody gives a damn. He's like an overgrown kid who wants his own share of Western culture. It's quite sad.

[edit on 31-8-2010 by Unregistered]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
What is ironic is that there is no internet service in North Korea. Very few leaders in the North Korean government only have access from the PRC's internet service.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Wait a minute....

I can get tweets from Lil Kim???

Oh this could be the most entertaining thing I've come across this week!

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Oh come the fk on. is this really braeking news? that an insane dictator has nobody following him on twitter? the article in the Op was good information, but the title of the story is just, well, idiotic.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Unregistered

Kim Jong Ill has no followers on Twitter... Maybe a few.

Kimmy wants attention but nobody gives a damn.

I don't think that's a fair assessment. The article you've linked states that the account acquired "10,000 followers" and that the South Korean government warned its own population that they would "face punishment" for "seeking to reply or retweet" North Korean messages, and after four days the north korean facebook account was closed by administrators."

So...10,000 subscribers in four days, and threats from the south korean government against its own citizens for involvement? Clearly there were both followers and interested parties.

If the article is to be believed, I'd have summarized it more as follows: "north korean government decides to use the tools of capitalism to advertise themselves and their point of view, and south korea freaks out and makes it a crime to listen. So much for democracy and free speech. Then four days later, their facebook account is closed, and south korea claims it was closed for failing to meet "standards" even though there's an official "watchdog" campaign to shut down north korean self-promotion via youtube and twitter."

[edit on 31-8-2010 by LordBucket]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I hope they reactivate his account soon. I would join Twitter for the sole purpose of getting Lil Kim's tweets.

Cheers
Shane

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by shamus78

Last week Yahoo news had a article with North Korean having a facebook and twitter. I went to the facebook page for North Korea and facebook already shut down their profile.

new topics

top topics

join