It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gurkas for the chop?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
It has been predicted that the first UK troops to face the axe as part of the national defence cuts will be the Brigade of Gurkas.

The 3500-strong Brigade of Nepalese troops has served the British Army with distinction for 200 years. However Tory MP Patrick Mercer has stated that he believes that the Gurkas will be disbanded to save money.

Ironically it has been suggested that the recent campaign by Joanna Lumley to improve pay and pension rights for these troops may be at part to blame for their disbandment as it has increased the cost of running and employing the Troops.

A sad day for all.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
With recent events and overall stability, not only in the Middle East but the world in general, the last thing we want to do is cut our Armed Services. We need to upgrade or replace some of our aging equipment and maintain or even increase our personnel levels. In my day, we had over 100,000 RAF personnel alone.

The Gurkhas are an elite unit in the British Forces and have served with distinction in many conflicts. To disband them with a wave of a hand would be an insult.

The Government needs to take a step back and give a long hard look at our military capability and think again.

[edit on 31/8/2010 by TheLoneArcher]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Don't suppose there is a source for this, is there? I've not seen this on the BBC today. I did notice a brief section earlier on News 24 about the SDR, but didn't catch the detail.

At the end of the day though, we do have to make some tough choices. Yes, the Gurkha's have a glorious history, but wouldn't we prefer to look after our own guys first? Many historic regiments have been disbnaded, merged or what have you over the years and I really don't see the Gurkha's as anything more than a reminder about our Imperial past. I would rather have the Navy looked after, ahead of keeping this regiment going.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Cuts are going to have to be made if we still want to go ahead with replacing trident, we actually can't afford the military we have. I would rather money be spent on schools and hospitals than war toys, bit if we have to make cuts, we should cut trident and spend that money on making sure British troops have everything they need, when being sent into wars, that includes a decent wage decent housing and medical care on their return.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I have to say I hope they don't disband the Gurkhas.. When I was on detachment down in the Falklands.. they did some of the best/hottest curries I'd ever eaten...

Peace

Rock Ape..

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I knew a man who served in India during WWII. He had the opportunity to meet and work with a detachment of Gurkhas there. He was very impressed with their bravery, stalking skills and their proficiency with those knives!

He also met a bengal tiger there, he did not care for it.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
The Gurkha's are a regular sight where I live and they conduct themselves with a remarkable amount of dignity and self-cotrol and are well received and regatded, shame the same can't be said about all squaddies who visit my town.

All governments since the 60's have under funded The Armed Forces yet it seems The Tories have a particular fondness for wholescale reduction, pretty ironic given their contant self-portrayal as the party of strength and supporters of The Armed Forces.

And if true, I find it particularly despicable that those most loyal and steadfast are the first for the chop.

However, admiration for The Gurkha's is not universal.
www.arrse.co.uk...

[edit on 31/8/10 by Freeborn]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
The Gurkha's are a regular sight where I live and they conduct themselves with a remarkable amount of dignity and self-cotrol and are well received and regatded, shame the same can't be said about all squaddies who visit my town.
My friend that I mentioned in the above post was also impressed with the Gurkhas regarding their social behavior, he said for being well known as merciless killers, they were very polite and nice to get along with.

He also made a point that he would not have wanted to be their enemy.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Here you go mate.

Another one

And another

Patrick Mercer, a Tory MP and a former army officer, said: ‘The first people to go will be the Brigade of Gurkhas, probably in their entirety. ’In the past, the Gurkhas’ existence was guaranteed by the fact they are cheaper to run than British troops, and that there was a shortage of British troops. Recent changes mean they are now just as expensive, and recruitment is extremely healthy at the moment. I am afraid the writing is on the wall.’

It really is quite a blow. Not so log ago we had a company of Gurkhas in our Bn as long term attachments due to recruiting and manning problems. They were funny guys and genuinly nice lads. Their soldiering skills were not to be faulted and they were good at their jobs. I nearly cr@ped myself when they told me about their pre-selection requirements just to get into basic training. Hill races carrying baskets full of rocks and all sorts. Crazy buggers.

[edit on 31-8-2010 by PaddyInf]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by PaddyInf

Ah cool, cheers.

Don't get me wrong, given the choice I'd keep them and I don't doubt they are great soldiers, but if it's a toss up between the Gurkha's and sharing warships with the...>shudder

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by PaddyInf

That would be a stupid move, the Gurkas have served the UK well, I would NEVER disband such a great fighting group. The UK needs to find a way to keep them.

top topics

join