It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rights groups challenge Obama on targeted killings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

This is good news,that the ACLU is challenging this administration,if for no other reason than to show the people in the mainstream just how much power this president has acquired.

All it takes one day is for their "enemy" to change and then who knows who will wind up in the crosshairs!

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Civil liberties groups sued the Obama administration on Monday over a program they said illegally tries to kill U.S. citizens believed to be militants living abroad, like the anti-American cleric Anwar al-Awlaki.

"A program that authorizes killing U.S. citizens, without judicial oversight, due process or disclosed standards is unconstitutional, unlawful and un-American," Anthony Romero, executive director of the ACLU, said in a statement.

The civil liberties groups argued that Americans accused of wrongdoing should be tried in court under the Constitution and could be targeted for killing only if there were an imminent threat from a person and there were no other ways to stop it.

CIA spokesman George Little said: "This agency acts in strict accord with American law." Representatives of the Defense Department had no immediate comment.

From what I've seen,they just rewrite the laws to say what they want it to anyway.

I'm no fan of the ACLU,but they have my support on this one!

[edit on 30-8-2010 by On the Edge]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
They have my support too.
Thanks for sharing this, I'm going to read further and get back to this in the morning

sl

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Well, this is a start. Other groups need to be looking closely at this. If enough NGO's object perhaps something will change. S&F

new topics

join