It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, what happens if.....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster
I believe in our Intellect as being our eternal selves, once the corporeal husk is shed

So you believe your intellect will go on forever? It will out last the material universe. And to have intellect does that not require consciousness? And to have consciousness does that not require life? Therefore you believe that you have eternal life. Is this belief something you concluded or was this something that was taught to you?

Intellect to be trapped in a spiral of delusional faith

What appears delusional to some appears real to others. Because you “believe in [your] Intellect as being [your] eternal [self]…” after you shed your “corporeal husk” this may appear quite delusional to many.

As for your rant that seems to be a “cognizant dissonance” directed toward those who either call themselves Christians or believe the scriptures, isn’t this why these types of threads are created in the first place? For the obsessed to have the opportunity to vent their disdain towards large segments of the earth’s population by insulting what they believe simply because they have different beliefs?

In my imagination, I can just picture all the Jesuses that are standing in line over there, and holding numbers

So this is one of the things your “Intellect” will continue to imagine for eternity once your “corporeal husk is shed” according to your own belief.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
reply to post by NorEaster

reality isn't as utterly amazing and mystically confounding as the theoretical physicists and the New Age gurus would have you believe? What if it's pretty mundane and redundant, and thoroughly recognizable when revealed in all its simple genius? What if God exists, and isn't omnipotent, omniscient or omnipresent, but is still directly responsible for why you exist? What if it all ends up looking way too familiar when the curtain is taken down? Will you feel cheated? Will you want your money back?

I've seen behind the curtain, seen the secret to all of reality, met the maker you might say ...... let me tell you that its more magical, exiting, mystical, beyond words awesomeness ....to the zillionth degree of the best thing you can think of.......

.....and yet its all closer to you than your own breathing 99.9999% of people miss it since its more subtle than an insects breath.

sorry to disappoint but your "what if" is just imagination.

I see.

Well then, looks like all the questions are answered. I guess that wraps it up, and we need to get with you for the details. Are you going to be putting a seminar together?

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by soleprobe

I believe in our Intellect as being our eternal selves, once the corporeal husk is shed

So you believe your intellect will go on forever? It will out last the material universe. And to have intellect does that not require consciousness? And to have consciousness does that not require life? Therefore you believe that you have eternal life. Is this belief something you concluded or was this something that was taught to you?

It's always seemed to be the best explanation of what eternal life actually means. Information can't be destroyed, and intellect (which is consciousness, by the way) is information. Seems simple and obvious.

Intellect to be trapped in a spiral of delusional faith

What appears delusional to some appears real to others. Because you “believe in [your] Intellect as being [your] eternal [self]…” after you shed your “corporeal husk” this may appear quite delusional to many.

Belief and delusion are different. Delusional faith is extreme and if an Islamic "freedom fighter" explodes himself as a result of his faith, then you'd likely agree that it's delusional. On the other hand, a faithful Muslim isn't delusional, since his/her eyes are wide open to the ramifications of what he/she does as a result of that faith. All religions and ideologies have the unreasonable fanatics, and these are the ones I was referring to.

But, you knew that. Right?

As for your rant that seems to be a “cognizant dissonance” directed toward those who either call themselves Christians or believe the scriptures, isn’t this why these types of threads are created in the first place? For the obsessed to have the opportunity to vent their disdain towards large segments of the earth’s population by insulting what they believe simply because they have different beliefs?

I see that my questions make you uncomfortable. I'm just asking questions. Of course I have my thoughts on the eternal nature of consciousness - just like you do. Your thoughts on eternal existence don't threaten me, do mine threaten you?

And be aware of what words like "rant" suggest. Very aggressive word and the use of it is aggressive. No ine is challenging your beliefs. What is clear is that if your beliefs are right, then billions of living people - right now - are going to be confronted with the terrible mistake they've made with their own beliefs.

In my imagination, I can just picture all the Jesuses that are standing in line over there, and holding numbers

So this is one of the things your “Intellect” will continue to imagine for eternity once your “corporeal husk is shed” according to your own belief.

To me, this is a valid concern, and certainly worth exploring with a simple thread discussion. I know one thing - if I was on the other side, and free to roam, and I knew there were a lot of folks crossing over with a firm expectation, and ready to wander off with the closest version of that expectation, and if I wanted a few of those folks for my own devilish intentions, it'd be easy to draw them off as they woke up after the big transition.

Faith is wonderful, but only if it's faith in something that's true. If not, it's pretty treacherous for the one with the faith.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

I see. Well then, looks like all the questions are answered. I guess that wraps it up, and we need to get with you for the details. Are you going to be putting a seminar together?

Ha, funny. just saying ...there are those who took the time to look and see that there is a reality other than the one everyone is used to. That here is something behind the curtain and it is fascinating ...I'm not the only one who's seen what's there ....many have claimed to also have seen behind the curtain and we have their accounts going back to about 3,000 years. I am one of many.

Speaking of putting a seminar together ....already done:
here

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

It's always seemed to be the best explanation of what eternal life actually means. Information can't be destroyed, and intellect (which is consciousness, by the way) is information. Seems simple and obvious.

Not obvious to me… information, especially useless information gets destroyed all the time.

Belief and delusion are different.

Belief, if it’s erroneous, is delusional so they can be the same.

All religions and ideologies have the unreasonable fanatics, and these are the ones I was referring to.

Yes… and if you opened up a school and started to teach what you have posted in this thread many would lump your ideologies with the rest of the unreasonable fanatics. There are many different ideologies.

I see that my questions make you uncomfortable.

Questions? I saw no “questions”. Are not questions to be followed by a question mark? But statements insulting millions of people because of what they believe (a few I know personally and they are very amiable) do make me uncomfortable otherwise I would be an insensitive, selfish twerp.

Your thoughts on eternal existence don't threaten me, do mine threaten you?

Your thoughts would only threaten me if I was tied down and forced to hear them out loud 24/7… something called torture… But coming on a discussion board and observing and responding to different opinions is what I’ve been doing for several years and I’ve never felt threatened. I’ve been humored, disgusted, angered, saddened, frustrated… but never threatened.

I’ve been banned from every Christian forum I frequented and not because of insults, personal attacks or vulgarity. I’ve even been banned from the Alex Jones prison planet forum and not because of vulgarity or personal attacks. So I may unintentionally “threaten” but have never felt threatened by other views.

And be aware of what words like "rant" suggest.

Well as I mentioned above… I saw no question marks so it did appear as a rant.

What is clear is that if your beliefs are right, then billions of living people - right now - are going to be confronted with the terrible mistake they've made with their own beliefs.

You carelessly assume that you know my beliefs. My beliefs do not include the belief that billions of people will be confronted for making terrible mistakes. People need to make small and big mistakes to gain experience… mistakes are essential for life.

Faith is wonderful, but only if it's faith in something that's true. If not, it's pretty treacherous for the one with the faith.

Treacherous FOR the one with the faith or treacherous TO the one with the faith? There are innocent victims of treachery and there are those who are treacherous. An act of treachery is not a “terrible mistake.” No one is accidentally “treacherous.” But many are victimized by treachery and are sincere amiable people.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join