It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the US had no military

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
How would life be different? Would we be safer or in more trouble? Does the military do more harm or good?

At any point, it seems ridiculous to me that we spend more on defense than the rest of the world put together just to "defend our freedom". There's definitely something else going on.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Without the military, the United States would be a worthless shell of its former self. The homeland would probably be sacked and all our resources taken by whoever wants it. (Assuming that military includes militia and such) Governments around the world that the USA has defended with its constant threat of swift and relentless military action will collapse or face serious troubles. This includes Israel and South Korea, and who knows How many Central and South American nations. And with the absence of our force, then a new superpower will emerge, and who can say what they will want to do with the world?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
War and conquest have existed long before the establishment of this country. What makes you believe that disarming ourselves would make us "safer?" Not having a means of defense just means that someone else with a fighting force can simply walk in and take what they want without organized resistance.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I think that if we had no military we wouldve been taken over by a more powerful country and exploited for our money and resources just like we do to other countries now.

We need some kind of a military to prevent this. We dont need to spend more than the rest of the world combined and we dont need to go "fight for freedom" because thats not whats going on.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Without it, the world would be a vastly better, safer, healthier, and more peaceful place. If you asked the world beyond US borders the following question:

'On balance does the US military do more harm or good around the world?'

The answer you'd get back would be an overwhelming and resounding 'it does more harm'.

That fact alone should be enough for any rational set of leaders to change foreign policy. Trouble is the US is run by pyschotics. When the rest of the world has a problem with your governments foreign policy it's a pretty good bet that the world is right and your governments foreign policy is wrong.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by spookfish]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Having no military is a really, really bad idea. Having a very strong defensive force would be ideal in my opinion. This whole Pax Americana thing just isn't doing it for me. We'd be much better off cutting military spending by 2/3, and reinvesting in infrastructure and industry. Fat chance of that happening anytime soon I'm afraid.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
The number of countries wanting to invade would be almost endless. U.S is still a resource rich country, never mind one with advanced wealth.

BUT…
If the U.S kept e.g. 1000 nukes, 12 nuclear submarines, 2-3 aircraft carriers and a few 300-400 thousand personal, then I'm sure the world would carry on much the same as before.
That whatever vale was lost to the U.S it would never ever, total a cost above the savings being made.

But alas…
The war isn’t against our (so called) enemies. Almost all enemies have been chosen by our government, and often the only truth about them being our enemies, is that do indeed fulfil a “vital” role, in the real war real against us.

The war is against the U.S taxpayers; it’s so that the munitions industry may be victorious in obtaining government contracts (usually by creating employment in politically sensitive states-areas).
And secondly it’s against the Mindsets of almost everyone in the Western world. It’s so the government-ruling class, can have an easier career whilst all media (quite rightfully) focuses on the war (rather than matters our elected representatives are more accountable for).

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by 19872012
How would life be different?

we wouldn't loose memorial day weekend, would we?

Would we be safer or in more trouble?

are we ready to find out? maybe only one way to know.

Does the military do more harm or good?

If anyone on ATS knows what all the military does, please speak up.

At any point, it seems ridiculous to me that we spend more on defense than the rest of the world put together just to "defend our freedom". There's definitely something else going on.

definitely

are really supposed to assume that martial law would be overtly announced via the msm to hundreds of millions simultaneously?

i don't think that is how martial law works, nor would it serve to do what martial law is for.

not your typical ovis aires,
et

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Not only would the U.S. be safer, but the entire world would be too. Just because we wouldn't have a military, doesn't mean the citizens wouldn't have guns.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleetlord
Without the military, the United States would be a worthless shell of its former self. The homeland would probably be sacked and all our resources taken by whoever wants it. (Assuming that military includes militia and such) Governments around the world that the USA has defended with its constant threat of swift and relentless military action will collapse or face serious troubles. This includes Israel and South Korea, and who knows How many Central and South American nations. And with the absence of our force, then a new superpower will emerge, and who can say what they will want to do with the world?

If you take the stance of Switzerland where every home would have
a modern rifle and training and verification of use it would be a
massive deterrent.

Especially if it is all adults both men and women that could pass
a sanity test agreed on by the public, and no violent felonies.

A Japanese admiral said as much during WW2.

wiki.answers.com...

Some ppl have decided to take this approach on themselves
for various reasons.

www.ammoland.com...

Not as much as I'd like to see, but apparently more than 21 other
armies combined.

It is a good start.

We need to keep our military thou, but I think we do not need bases
in 130+ countries, and I do not think we need 700+ bases.

I think weapons development needs to move to a non-profit status
Co-op and end the military industrial complex as Eisenhower warned.

Ie. all the best ppl working in the defense field keep their jobs,
but the slackers and money grubbing parasites are let go.

These huge multi billion dollar corporations got to go.

We do not need to be policeman of the world.

We do not need middle east oil, we can grow it.

We are setting up on 7 bases in Columbia right next door to Venezuela ?

www.commondreams.org...

www.independent.co.uk...

We need to chart a new course.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Its very difficult to `jump right into ` your hypothetical scenario of a U.S without a military , as the Military has played such a formative role in shaping the modern United States.

They are inseparable .

================================
With your question are you asking .....

a. What would of been the course of history had The United States of America not developed its potential to project power abroad ....

b. If the U.S.A decided to dismantle its military infrastructure and disband its armed forces , what would be the consequences.....

c. Or another scenario ....

===============================================

Now a U.S with a lessened force ...... thats a different story .

The Military in all its various guises has been for some time (see Smedley Butler) a tool of commerce , it has held the U.S over the `sweet spot`and kept it there thus far . It will become an even greater necessity as the U.S.A`s star wanes .

[edit on 30-8-2010 by UmbraSumus]

[edit on 30-8-2010 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
The first thing you would see is a massive global arms race. The US Navies current massive dominance of the seas and the security of them would be gone. So all nations that depend on freedom of the sea for their economies would be putting large fleets to sea and contesting control of certain areas. The EU would begin mass production of nukes as they would no longer be under the US nuclear umbrella. The EU, Russia and China would have much larger militaries. Japan would return to being a military power without the US shield. The loss of the US nuclear umbrella would also lead to many more states deploying them. You could expect Japan, more European states, South Korea, Australia, Brazil, Saudi Arabia and others to all deploy their own nuclear deterants. The middle east would be rife with regional wars while the 3 major powers vied for control through client states. The US would have to back a major power and allow them to place bases in the US for security. Regional wars would be more common and the three great powers would be in constant state of a cold war. Pretty much you can look at the conflicts that occured during th cold only make it worse with 3 powers seeking to dominate.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
The way I see it is, if it were not the US with such a military force, it would be someone else. Destiny (if you believe in such a thing) runs its course no matter what.

However, I would like to ask a few questions that only Americans tend to ask and everyone else tends to huff at.

If the US did not have the military force it has/does...

...then would Hitler have conquered Europe?
...would Communist Russia have been the sole super power?
...would Cuba be a nuclear power?
...how many small independent countries would still be independent?
...would South Korea be a self governed nation?
...how many 3rd world nations would be totally anhialated?

The US military is both a sword and shield whose might allows the US citizenry and government to do a good for every bad.

Say what you will, but when there is a major disaster anywhere on this planet, the US military is often some of the first to respond with supplies, medicines and aid. Also, because of them, the people of the US feel free to go to and help other nations through national and international organizations.

As a veteran, I can say with all honesty that I fully support my US Military and Nation, but I do not always support the actions of the few or the orders of the commanders. Remember that the soldier might be good and just, but be forced to follow orders that conflict with personal beliefs.

I will also agree with statements here that I would prefer to see the US Military tasked more as a defender of the nation than out trapsing all about the globe furthering the elitests agendas. Trimming their funding, reducing their force and bringing them home would certainly get my vote. Then, only send them out to aid in disasters or when absolutely necessary for an allied nations defense.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
A nation without a military is not a nation but a conquest waiting to be seized. Without an armed force tasked with protecting the country you can surely bet that foreign troops would find their way to US soil, depose the government and turn us into the largest (size wise) colony the world has ever seen.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by wheresthetruth
The way I see it is, if it were not the US with such a military force, it would be someone else.

If it wasn`t the U.S it could be something worse.

A bit like the bacteria in our mouths . If something has got to occupy that space - pray its a relatively benign one.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
The USA without a military. Everyone would be speaking a different language. The USA and Russia saved Europe and most of Asia in WW2. These are facts of life.

But for the sake of argument, no military, no internet. Your being too simplistic in your ideal world to think the military only makes guns and bigger guns. They are the driving force for any new technology including this internet thing many people abuse with different ideals for one reason or another.

The entire industrial expansion of the USA, Russia, and most of Europe was driven by military money in the 50's through 70's. You're talking millions of jobs and several trillion dollars in all countries. Directly from the US military or in reaction of the US military.

80's and 90's saw the US military reach it's peak and Russia go broke from military spending. Last 10 years, the US has fought 2 wars but the military industry as a whole has stagnated to job loses.

China is expanding it's military as we speak. Not as a job creation economy, but to overtake the US military as a regional power. This action alone creates hundreds of thousands if not millions of jobs within the Chinese economy, just based on the US military "being there".

Now the 64,000 dollar question. No US military. What does millions of workers around the world do for work? It's a more complex answer than "just hangin' around".

The world would be a far safer place with no one having any military, but that will never happen. Humans aren't wired that way.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
The UK would include parts of North America, as would France. Spain would include southwest N. American, and Russia would own northwest America. Much of those countries would speak German, and billions of minorities would have been wiped off the planet. Asia would be mostly slave labor to the Japanese, and the Middle East would be a new Persia controlled by the religious hard line Nazi partners in Iran/Iraq. By now a war would have broken out between the Germans and Middle east. Technology would not yet include solid state electronics, but there would be space flight. Germans would have used nuclear weapons to exterminate the populations in less desirable and less advanced countries.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
if there was no US military, there wouldnt be a USA, all of Europe would be under the Swastika, all of asia under the rising sun flag and all you people who talk crap that you do about this country wouldnt be alive TODAY to spew your filth
Put that in your pipe and smoke it

GOD BLESS THE USA AND HER TROOPS
(former Army Veteran here)

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
If the US ditched the military the people would become the primary defenders and private ownership of nuclear weapons would have occurred.

And the United Nuclear Militias of the United States (UNMUS) would have already signed a contract with Congress enabling massive retaliatory strike against anyone who attacks us - all for the low fee of $3 billion per year. What a deal! Privatization is great.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
double post.

OMG hackers!

[edit on 30-8-2010 by Exuberant1]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join