It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Memphis Christians put out welcome mat for Muslims

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Memphis Christians put out welcome mat for Muslims

Until Memphis Islamic Center is complete, members pray at nearby Heartsong Church in Cordova. Members of the center's board say participation in a local mosque helps young members avoid extremism and strengthens their American identity.

I know, crazy right? Actually living by Christ's example rather than mindlessly reading and repeating the words while missing their meaning? In MY Christian America?

When pastor Steve Stone initially heard of the mosque and Islamic center being erected on the sprawling land adjacent his church, his stomach tightened.

Then he raised a 6-foot sign reading, "Welcome to the Neighborhood."

The issue for Stone and the 550-person Heartsong Church in Cordova, came down to one question:

"What would Jesus do if He were us? He would welcome the neighbor," Stone said.

After all the hate that has been spewed on ATS (and pretty much everywhere else), it's nice to see Christians behaving as they were taught to a couple thousand years ago.

While the 4,000-square-foot worship hall is being completed, Heartsong has opened its doors to its neighbors throughout the monthlong observance of Ramadan.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Finally people acting according to Christ's principles. Lead by example, so they say.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
This is a heart warming tale and shows that not all of us Christians are nasty like some people here on ATS have been trying to paint us as.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by biohazardjon]

[edit on 30-8-2010 by biohazardjon]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
So... what...wait! Do as we say AND as we do? I'm confused by this new mindset. And oddly inspired.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Excellent article. This is what Christianity and Islam is supposed to be about.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
How awesome it is to see folks behaving properly in this unbelievably vitriolic and heated period! S & F with my personal thanks for posting this!

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
While im an agnostic and am not too fond of organized religion, i think that everyone should have the right to practice whatever religion they want as long as it doesnt hurt anyone else.

In a world where some religious people get defensive and even aggressive toward other faiths, its nice to see some tolerance. I think it sets a good example of the way we should be behaving toward muslims.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Ashes of the wake

I agree 100%

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Excellent article. This is what Christianity and Islam is supposed to be about.

Wish there were more stories like this out there right now. What I really like about this is that the guy acted *AGAINST* his gut reaction because he recognized that reaction as against his fundemental beliefs. In other words, he was mature enough to not allow himself to be a hypocrite.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
This thread won't get more than 3 pages if that.

What does this tell you about most people on ATS?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mothershipzeta

Yay!!! This makes me soooo happy. I've been waiting for items like this to hit the news. I knew someone would do something like this eventually. This makes my heart happy.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ashes of the wake
its nice to see some tolerance.

This is more than just tolerance. This is acceptance which is EVEN BETTER.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Let's hope the children play nicely in the sandbox together!

It says something as to the childish nature of most religious leaders and practitioners that this sort of thing is so incredibly rare.

Well done to everyone involved in this cooperative affair. Long may it last.

Parallex.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

It tells you a christian person is actually practicing what they preach for once..... It's not like this should be breaking news or any kind of news, I'm not religious nor atheist but you act like they're gonna come in here and their eyes will melt or something lol

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

You're right. This shows how easily we can be swayed by such hate and negativity even if it goes against our own values and beliefs. I have had times where someone "different" walked in the door and a very fleeting and embarrassing thought would cross my mind only for me to be disgusted at myself for allowing it. Then I have to recognize that it's just the influence of those around me that caused this initial reaction, not my own beliefs.

(that was a very hard thing for me to admit, btw)

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5
It's not like this should be breaking news or any kind of news...

Exactly. This is the way it should be. Sadly it's not and thus IS news. Good news. It gives us hope that there are people out there that are living by their faith and the morass of religious crap that we see in the MSM isn't totally winning.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mothershipzeta

Great! My church did the same thing.

They are a Spiritual church - - but they also offer Bible Study.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
reply to post by rogerstigers

You're right. This shows how easily we can be swayed by such hate and negativity even if it goes against our own values and beliefs. I have had times where someone "different" walked in the door and a very fleeting and embarrassing thought would cross my mind only for me to be disgusted at myself for allowing it. Then I have to recognize that it's just the influence of those around me that caused this initial reaction, not my own beliefs.

(that was a very hard thing for me to admit, btw)

That happens to me all the time. I will rather rapidly react to someone or something based on a stereotype. I consider it to be a part of my natural/tribal nature. I simply do not agree with that part of my natural/tribal nature, and so it is very quickly supressed.

It's one thing to have a natural reaction to something. It is something quite differant to allow that reaction to be acted upon.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
My two favorite parts from the OP source:

But as members of the Christian congregation take the opportunity to sit in on Ramadan prayers and meet people at the nightly gatherings, much of that mystery and fear has dissipated.

Islamic community centers help form solid Muslim-American identities and keep young kids and adults from feeling marginalized, they said. Without a place to call home, young Muslims are more likely to seek more radical interpretation of the Quran online, says Arsalan Shirwany, a board member and father of three.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

AND

When it is finished, the new facility will be a center for the whole community, and a place for interfaith cooperation, Shirwany said.

"This is what we need to fight extremism," he said.

It's not exclusionary. It's going to be for the whole community. Wouldn't it be funny if the breakdown of bias was actually started in a southern state? If you can do it there you can do it anywhere. No insult but that is part of the Bible Belt.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join