It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two on United Flight Arrested on Terror Charges in Amsterdam

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Two on United Flight Arrested on Terror Charges in Amsterdam

abcnews.go.com

Two men taken off a Chicago-to-Amsterdam United Airlines flight in the Netherlands have been charged by Dutch police with "preparation of a terrorist attack," U.S. law enforcement officials tell ABC News.

The men were identified as Ahmed Mohamed Nasser al Soofi, of Detroit, MI, and Hezam al Murisi, the officials said. A neighbor of al Soofi told ABC News he is from Yemen
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
nycaviation.com

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
A little odd, It seems that these two men where allowed on a flight last night from the O'Hare Airport despite concerns raised over security,

One of the men had $7.000 in cash, And also a 3 cellphones taped to a bottle, Several watches where also found taped together along with a box cutter and 3 large knifes!

Now how the heck did these 2 men get through security with that?? And i would have thought in this time we are in so close to Sept 11Th the Airports would be on much higher alert,

Hmmm False flag? Something just does not sit right with me on this....

News is still coming in on this story and just waiting to get confirmation that the men where arrested at the Schiphol Airport as reported by ABC news,

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Another thing that irks me...Is that these men where arrested on request from the US? So it took them to get on a plane and fly before they gets stopped,

I would be pretty flipping mad if i was a passenger on that plane,

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Wow that is a strange one.

Does sound like a dry run, a probe...

Makes you wonder how many of these actually get through, also do the security services run these kind of tests on their own systems?

They were 'allowed' to board with security issues? But their luggage was not searched throughout? This is a strange story.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I agree asala.. this whole thing smells very fishy. Could have been a dry run.. could also have been a staged event intentionally put together to remind everyone that we are "hunting tewwowists". If you can imagine, this gets approved through channels as an internal test of the TSA. In order to keep things quiet in the ranks, they either hire stooges or they have guys in disguise. They then run the gambit to see where things fail. Once they got their results, they leveraged the outcome into a nice 9/11 gift for all the scared Americans.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Update: Men held in Amsterdam on terror charges were detained by Dutch after suitcase search in Chicago according to NBC news,

??? again huh Then why the heck where they allowed to fly?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Update: Men held in Amsterdam on terror charges were detained by Dutch after suitcase search in Chicago according to NBC news,

??? again huh Then why the heck where they allowed to fly?

That's the problem with "sound bites"... they tell the beginning and end of the story and nothing in the middle.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Sounds like we need a reason to install those new body scanners here.

This is a very weird story.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
very scary stuff

I wonder since the baggage was searched
stateside if extra US Marshalls were put on
the flight.

Wouldn't it be a great news story and lots
of extra budget financing to have US Marshalls
thwart a Terrorist hijacking.

However in this case, it was a dry run for the
terrorist so there was no action on the flight
and the materials were found at the next airport
security.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Just some confirmation, Dutch authorities have spoken to BNO news and confirm that 2 men where arrested on the 9am flight Monday morning the flight was a United Airlines flight,

Just like add in anythng thats 100% confirmed

Though they wont confirm just yet the reason for the arrests.

Also up to this point United Airlines refuse to comment,

[edit on 30-8-2010 by asala]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The DHS will make a statement shortly on the 2 arrested, Hopefully we then get a better picture of what went down, Or if this story stays slightly odd.

The Flight was United Airlines Flight 908 which landed at Schiphol at 9.20 a.m

The FBI in Chicago are also investigating this now.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Follow the logic here.

Two men enter the airport. One of them checks a bag, or bags, onto a flight and never boards it. Then, both men board a flight to Amsterdam. When it is discovered that they boarded a different plane, the plane with the luggage is ordered back to the gate, the bag(s) located, removed and searched. This is when they found the mock explosives. Since the guys were already bound for Amsterdam, the authorities called ahead and told the Dutch to arrest them both.

Now, here's the bigger question.

Who was on the other flight that would have been the trigger man?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
Follow the logic here.

Two men enter the airport. One of them checks a bag, or bags, onto a flight and never boards it. Then, both men board a flight to Amsterdam. When it is discovered that they boarded a different plane, the plane with the luggage is ordered back to the gate, the bag(s) located, removed and searched. This is when they found the mock explosives. Since the guys were already bound for Amsterdam, the authorities called ahead and told the Dutch to arrest them both.

Now, here's the bigger question.

Who was on the other flight that would have been the trigger man?

I am a little curious about the fact that al Soofi was allowed to leave Birmingham, Alabama after that stuff was discovered in his luggage.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Are you forgetting about positive bag matching?

Two men enter the airport. One of them checks a bag, or bags, onto a flight and never boards it. Then, both men board a flight to Amsterdam. When it is discovered that they boarded a different plane, the plane with the luggage is ordered back to the gate...

I didn't glean from the story all those details....in any case, it is unlikely to have happened in that manner, since (especially on International flights) checked bags DO NOT GO unless the person (passenger) who checked them is also confirmed onboard.

Reason should be obvious, yes?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
It stated his luggage was checked a few times but they never found anything,

So i think it is when he met up with this 2nd man... It looks like he had the stuff? But thats not clear yet as there still saying it was Soofi's luggage.

Hopefully the statement will make it a little more clear,

Seems like this was a dry run, Interesting to know who the intended target would have been,

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
It stated his luggage was checked a few times but they never found anything [edit on 30-8-2010 by asala]

Where are you seeing that? I saw this in your OP

In addition, officials said, al Soofi was found to be carrying $7,000 in cash and a check of his luggage found a cell phone taped to a Pepto-Bismol bottle, three cell phones taped together, several watches taped together, a box cutter and three large knives. Officials said there was no indication of explosives and he and his luggage were cleared for the flight from Birmingham to Chicago O'Hare

I'll admit, though, that I might be misreading something.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

The story is still up in the air and changing by the moment, The big news agencies are only starting to pick up this story now..

Here's more on the events they know about so far,

www.cbsnews.com...

Again awaiting the full statement to come in so we can get some facts here.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
This is getting complex,

Dutch officials state they arrested these guys
and now U.S. senior law enforcement tell BNO news that this is based on rumor not fact...

Just make the statement already lol so we can get the facts,

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

I don't think this violates any security restrictions to mention, since it HAS been made public knowledge several times....

...the TSA often FAILS to spot every potential contraband item, even in carry-on luggage.

A report on undercover operations conducted in October 2006 at Newark Liberty International Airport was leaked to the press. The screeners had failed 20 of 22 undercover security tests, missing numerous guns and bombs. The Government Accountability Office had previously pointed to repeated covert test failures by TSA personnel.

Now, note what is in the next sentence:

Revealing the results of covert tests is against TSA policy, and the agency responded by initiating an internal probe to discover the source of the leak.

See? This is ONLY the data of failed "tests" of TSA personnel that is knonw publically, because it was leaked....you may draw your own conclusions.

One last sentence from the source material.:

In July 2007, The Times Union of Albany, New York reported that TSA screeners at Albany International Airport failed multiple covert security tests conducted by the TSA, including the failure to detect a fake bomb.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join