It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Earl. Southern people advice please for those not used to hurricanes.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
From what I've read there seems to be lots of good advice above. One thing that I do which is very important is to clean up around the outdoors. Loose items that may take flight during a hurricane should be secured. Bring you outdoor things indoors and batten down doors and windows. Masking tape across all glass (from the inside) will prevent some glass from become projectile during high winds. Plywood covering over glassed areas work best but you'll find out that stores run out real quick.
A generator to operate your refrigerator is a great idea and you can also cool down some with a small a/c window unit. Buy now though because those will go quickly as well. If you connect your generator to your electrical junction be absolutely sure to shut off the main breaker. You will save someone's life. Also, about a 5 gallon container of gas per day of outage. At least 5 of those should do.
Do not go outdoors during the storm. Lots of dangerous sharp edges and electrical hazards to beware of. They will strike before you ever see them.
Just be extremely careful both during and after the storm and stay alert for looters.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by csimon]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
Mix saw dust in the ice it will keep amazingly.
Also watch the lows...
If they combine over eastern Canada,
as the hurricane comes up Friday / Saturday they may suck it inland a little further than expected.

Water, food, shelter, people you care about, entertainment.

Excellent Advice that I had forgot. Roll a block or bag of ice in sawdust and bury it in the yard, it will keep for a week or two!!

Having propane for hot food and ice for cold drinks makes a lot of other stuff easier to bear!

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Personal hygiene, Do Not Forget this, a sponge for each member in the home, with one swipe from a bar soapon sponge , quick wipe down, you can effectively rinse off with just a couple of cups of water and sponge. If you have a means to be discreet, during a lull in high winds(generaly after the storm has passed, yet still raining), you may even decide to take a quick natural shower outside.

To brush your teeth, use baking soda, it will rinse out with less water.

Dried beans and peas, let soak for 24hrs to overnight, cook with the same water they soaked in(it will be fine after boiling) Soaking for 24 hrs, will only need to cook to be edible for an hour.

Use a plastic 55 gallon drum, drill 4 holes 6" to 8" from the top, use rope and screw down try dog tie outs. drill 1/2" to 3/4' hole approx. 1' from bottom, install cheap drain spigot from hardware store. Place this in an open area, or in an area to catch run off from the roof. This water can be used for non-potable purposes.(especialy for cleaning the 5 gallon bucket portable potty)

For those that have a water aerator, you have a 50 to 100 gallon reserve of water on hand at all times. On my water pump, I have also installed a tee before the pump on the head pipe, this allows me to pull the cap off, and install my old fashioned hand pump. I keep 1 gal jug of water everytime i need to use it for priming purposes.

Being a Native Floridian, and having been through many hurricane's, including Andrew, which wiped out sections of Miami, I've learned to maximise and utilize even the resources of the storm itself.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I didn't read every single post so I'm not sure if this was mentioned...

The last big hurricane we went through, the hardest thing to get was gas. Either stores didn't have power to pump gas, if they did, the lines were long and the gas would run out. I remember getting up at 4:30 am to get in line to wait an hour and a half to get gas for our generator. If I knew a hurricane was coming my way, I would make sure to stock up on full gas cans.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Don’t rely on FEMA to tell you when the situation is serious - use your own judgment.

Once evacuations are announced, it's too late to get all your necessary supplies. Pre-planning doesn't cost too much or take a lot of time. Sure 9 out of 10 times it will be unnecessary but it's the 10th time it will save your life.

If you live in a major city and want to evacuate, you pretty much have to leave BEFORE the official announcement or you won’t be able to get out. Most people don’t do anything until FEMA gives a press conference and then frantically try to pack and plan.

Just be ready to go with your car filled up with gas, cloths packed, medications filled and route planned. (Making hotel reservations is a no cost way to plan, just remember to cancel if you don’t need it- make a separate one for each day. And yes, many do take pets).

You have to monitor the situation yourself. FEMA and other agencies are going to be looking at what is good for the average person - which maybe different from what’s good for you.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I was gonna suggest a good generator, but someone beat me to it, so I'll just second the recommendation.

We usually don't get hit directly by hurricanes, but we do occasionally get pounded pretty hard by the remnants; strong thunderstorms, torrential downpours, hail, and even tornadoes. So be prepared for what may come after the hurricane itself. It may not be over when it seems like it is.

Stay safe, best of luck, thoughts and prayers,

TheAssoc.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
You guys are leaving out a major item...Bug spray.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Everyone should have a 3 day bug-out bag. It should be ready all the time no matter what. Sheltering in place is best, but sometimes you have to grab and go. Make sure the gas tanks are filled and you have an evacuation plan ready ahead of time.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Any meds that are vital for you or family/pets should be stocked up. Important papers, money, insurance info, irreplacable photos, etc. in ziplock bags.

Having been through many hurricanes, I find it invaluable to have a written hurricane response plan; We rarely follow it to the letter, however it keeps us from forgetting something vital, and allows us to document the little changes that we make.

I like the Sidewinder cell phone charger (although it doesn't support some newer cell phones) and the Baygen SW/AM/FM hand-crank radio. Both of these give you something to do when the power is out, and you're waiting for the storm. We've had a BayGen for about 10 years, and it's taken some hard knocks and provided lighting, info and entertainment through many storms.

A good quality water filter is important, even if you've stocked up lots of water and steralized it. I'm pretty fond of the Berkey Water Filter System, however they take up more space than smaller filters, if bugging out is a strong probability for your situation. I like having a couple of these small Polar Pure bottles as well. Making your potable water safe is a very personal strategy, depending upon your situation.

A good supply of strong garbage bags -- multifunctional item. and......... along those lines, people often forget the basics -- t.p. inside a ziplock.

Hand tools -- axe, saw, shovel, hammers, fasteners.

Personal hygiene can really suffer when your normal systems are out. Bleach for steralization. What might be a simple injury in normal times can become life-threatening in the aftermath of a disaster. IMO, most first aid kits have too much of the small bandaid type stuff and not enough of the things that can really matter, such as iodine, QuikClot, compression bandages, duct tape, etc. Nothing replaces first aid knowledge; a good first aid book can certainly help.

I like to keep at least a couple rolls of 3mil or thicker plastic sheeting (visqueen), duct tape, and fiberglass screening. A decent tent can be a Godsend, if your home is badly damaged.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Another thing that might help with your own family's evacuation plans, especially if Earl decides to come onshore, is the tide forecasts for you area. Most forecast models are showing Earl impacting the NE sometime on Friday.

If it looks like Earl is coming your way, think about the fact that he will be pushing the ocean in front of him, creating storm surge.

Storm surge can seriously impact the level of damage from a hurricane, and high or low tide can play a part as well.

Again, keep tracking this dangerous storm, but remain calm. Be as prepared as possible with your 'go-bag' ready, know of your own evacuation routes and also the location fo evacuation centers.

Panic will not help you or your loved ones.

Keep tracking and preparing.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
A chainsaw to get fallen trees off your driveway so you can get the car out, and to help your neighbors get them off the streets. It takes a community effort to clear nearby streets.

Fantastic information guys! I'm just hoping you won't need it, trep.

Best...

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
All the advice I read was spot on. I have been through quite a few hurricanes since I moved to Florida in 1969! I saw one reply that mentioned candles, and I would advise against candles. First of all, strongs gusts, a broken window, and there you have potential problems with fires. We always have a few camplights with fluorescent bulbs. Check out the sporting goods areas of stores and get a few of those lights. They use batteries and last a good long time. We also have the night lights that turn on when the power goes out. This gives you the opportunity to get what you need and not stumble around in the dark. It sure seems like our power always went out at night..... Be prepared for tornadoes. They always spin off during hurricanes. Find the safest inside part of the house, and aways from windows.
Don't be fooled by the eye of the storm. It will suddenly be clear, even blue skies, but this lasts a short time. It is however, a good time to get pets outside to relieve themselves.....But be on the lookout for the other side of the eye to hit.
After the storm, bees are very angry and will be aggresive. Be careful with downed trees and logs.
Stay safe, and don't ride out anything higher than 2. I stayed for Ivan and now will never stay for a 3 again.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I also didn't read every post but wanted to add some links... they're attached to my signature... just click on them...

Hope this helps a bit....

Listen carefully to the officials in your area.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Elienne

Very good points Eilenne

People here often get "hurricane lamps". Just what you want in a storm situation -- a glass container that holds approximately a liter of flammable kerosene. God forbid they have a skittish cat........

I like L.E.D. lamps, flashlights, and I have a strong fondness/obsession for headlamps. The L.E.D.s last a long time battery-wise, and the bulbs hardly ever burn out, if ever. Especially during the effects of the storm, it's been frequently useful to have hands-free light to battle the storm (water intrusion, etc.).

In that situation, I don't a 500,000 candlepower torch, I need light where I am and not glaringly bright. Even during Search & Rescue (SAR at sea excepted) I haven't used stronger lights than L.E.D.s.

PLUS! L.E.D.s -- if worn as a headlamp -- have the unique ability to illuminate animal (human too) eyes in the darkness. I can see our cats' eyes a good 100+ feet away at night with just a 2W-twin beam headlamp.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join