It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Think Tank Calls For Infiltrating Conspiracy Websites!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

I wouldn't take it personally Budski!

Edit BRL needs to reduce the paranoia!

[edit on 31-8-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenNum287119327

Originally posted by Cosmic4life
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Wow Think Tank eh???

Some-one should tell them your planet has already been invaded!

We call them Trolls and Shills.

Unless the Government has perfected a Troll/Shill cloaking device i think we've got that pretty much covered.

Can't wait to see who's officially a Troll/Shill!

Stars for you.

You only need to go into a zionist/israelli thread here on ATS and they are are in there jumping around.
Mossad must pay them commissions by the word-count.

lol its funny cause its true, they seem so devoted many seem
just to be typical jewish zealots mind f%$ked by their elites

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Oh, I don't take it personally

I really would like him/her to call me out, and perhaps have a challenge match in the debate forum.

I'd feel pretty confident going into that one

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

No body is stupid. We have an analogy that if you don't eat onion why would your mouth smell onion. If they respect other human, they will automatically get respect from others. They are blind in their power so much that they think themselves to be God and every body has to worship them.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I have an idea how the government could increase trust and it doesnt include taking down any websites or disproving "conspiracy theories". Infact, if you follow my simple 9 step program the "conspiracy theories" may just stop altogher!

1: Stop trying to poison our water supply with sodium floride.
2: Stop putting aspartame and msg in our food.
3: Stop handing our money over to banks.
4: Stop letting Mexican drug cartels/illegal citezens take over our borders and take what little jobs we have left away from us.
5: Stop shipping the other jobs overseas.
6: Stop going to war with countries we the people dont wish to go to war with.
7: Do follow the constitution and bill of rights.
8: Do have a transparent government.
9: Do let us actually choose who we the people want to lead our nation as President instead of putting puppets into power.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
[edit on 31-8-2010 by franspeakfree]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
If they are coming out saying that they are "thinking" about it...

They've already done it.

A Big Dittos on that! Thats the way it always works.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
lol they will try but have no fear, the more they try to control the less they will.... this world is headed toward a "change".... regardless of what they do they know their time is almost up.... enjoy this farce called life.... pretty soon you will have to make a conscious decision to change.... are you that change? can you change? are you willing to change? will you accept change? are you afraid of change? will you at least give change a chance? I hope so

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
1 source of the definition(s) of "Conspiracy". Some here may want to revisit the meaning.

www.thefreedictionary.com...

con·spir·a·cy (kn-spîr-s)
n. pl. con·spir·a·cies
1. An agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act.
2. A group of conspirators.
3. Law An agreement between two or more persons to commit a crime or accomplish a legal purpose through illegal action.
4. A joining or acting together, as if by sinister design: a conspiracy of wind and tide that devastated coastal areas.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Lets go to the source in which your first link provides...

Secret services 'must be made more transparent'

The secret services must become more transparent if they are to halt the spread of damaging conspiracy theories and increase trust in the Government, claims a leading think tank.

A Demos report published today, The Power of Unreason, argues that secrecy surrounding the investigation of events such as the 9/11 New York attacks and the 7/7 bombings in London merely adds weight to unsubstantiated claims that they were "inside jobs".

It warns of the dangers posed by conspiracy theories – from hindering counter-terrorism work by reducing public trust in the Government, to encouraging new alliances between extremists based on such theories – and recommends the Government fight back by infiltrating internet sites to dispute these theories.

During my first two weeks on "Above top Secret", I mentioned three things that are related to this topic:

(1) How much influence does a foreign country have on another society's citizens?

(2) Is it possible for a foreign government (or its citizens) to spread online propaganda, which causes people in another country to question or rise up against their own government?

(3) Has the internet been used in such a manner that it has begun the deterioration of all societies?

Added Questions...

(4) Were 'radical activists' involved with starting the 9/11 and 7/7 conspiracy theories, so that they can destabilize the trust between locals and their governments?

(5) How many times has it happened?

[edit on 31-8-2010 by Section31]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
It would be a WASTE OF TIME for them to infiltrate websites like this. I mean, c'mon, we *ALL* know, for real when you truly think about it, that ELVIS did not use FLYING SAUCERS equipped with REMOTE CONTROLLED DEATH RAYS to take down the towers on 9/11. Does anyone really take the *truth* presented on sites like this for real in the first place?

It would be like adults entering a daycare to try to convince fanciful children who only drink high-fructose-corn-syrup-laden sodas that milk is better for them. Governments won't waste their time trying to convince people on this site what is *real* and what is *true.* Like those daycare children hyped-up on soda, people on sites like this won't go for the milk.

We'll all just continue surfing ATS dreaming about concentration camps in America, border skirmishes with Mexican drug-thugs, MK ULTRA, 9/11 instigated by a time-travelling Elvis cult which actually brought the towers down on 9/13 but time-warped the kinetic effects back to 9/11 (the collision of which brought the towers down).

BUT REALLY: All of the above was sarcastic joking. Maybe ATS (and other sites) have gotten the attention of the government. Maybe the spreading of the truth about these important matters has caused the "globalists" to speed up their plans, their hidden agendas. A good way of peeking into their intentions might be to research where people like Ted Turner are purchasing property/real estate. If a bunch of wealthy folks are buying land in Montana or Canada or the Alps, maybe it's time to start stocking up on supplies. The government engages in disinformation. Why wouldn't they employ a handful of people to clutter up sites like this and try to subtly change people's minds/opinions?

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
WOW, this is current and breaking news LOL,

They have been doing this for years.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I didnt understand your post either ... I did talk about the guy that made those statements that you posted, it wasnt about you

and yes, I didnt understand my post either ... it was late and my english is not the best too

--

but what I was trying to say is that the guy who made those statements didnt even try to study if the government or any other organization isnt already doing infiltration on websites

we all know here, they already are doing it, you can see a lot of IPs coming from government organizations posting on this website, as example, and we all know they shouldnt be accessing from work if this was for their own entertainment ...

[edit on 31/8/10 by Faiol]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I believe most of you have not read the report. Although the Demos report gives a very distorted analysis of the present situation and associates conspiracy theories with extremism, it does not recommend secret infiltration. Instead it proposes a more open approach by the government. Unlike Sunstein's & Vermeule's countermeasures, their proposed approach to fight “disinformation” could be in the interest of the people.

Changing the milieu in which conspiracy theories are received The last decade has seen an explosion in the circulation of false information, or ‘counter-knowledge’: misinformation packaged to look like fact. Every day, from hundreds of sources, people are assailed by thousands of pieces of counter-knowledge. Yet, as Michael Shermer writes, ‘as a culture, we seem to have trouble distinguishing science from pseudoscience, history from pseudohistory, common sense from nonsense.’ In an age of social media, peer-to-peer communications, and user-generated content, many of the established gatekeepers of knowledge – the peer reviewed journal, the traditional newspaper, the scrutinised book – have been undermined and not replaced. The limited research there is suggests that young people in particular are not being equipped with the personal critical abilities to discriminate between truth and its many imposters.

www.demos.co.uk...

In my opinion traditional newspaper, scrutinised books and peer reviewed journals have failed as gatekeepers of knowledge. Instead they have acted as gatekeepers for the establishment. Since established gatekeepers are also the ones, which mainly dictate how history is written, much of our mainline history is also likely distorted. It serves to stabilise and protect the establishment. Important events are misrepresented or forgotten. Voices of the victims are suppressed, while leaders can whitewash their crimes in widely published memoirs.

"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it."
  --  Winston Churchill

Here are their recommendations:

Therefore, we recommend a small number of interventions focusing on making government institutions more open, and investing resources in enabling people to think critically, rather than government confronting conspiracy theories directly.

p 36/37

A more open government is not bad.

Rather than edit or censor the net, which is both impossible and undesirable, it is important to ensure that young people have the skills and critical faculties to navigate this information in a careful manner.

p 37

The Communities and Local Government’s counter-terrorism Prevent work must invest more resources in programmes that encourage critical thinking and deconstructing the propaganda on the internet.

p 38

The Department for Education and Skills must review how far the education system equips young people to navigate false information and counter knowledge.

p 39

Although I don't believe, that I apply the same priorities and standards as government hacks, scepticism, doubt and source-checking are important.

Conspiracy theories are a reaction to the lack of transparency and openness in many of our institutions. The more open our institutions, the less likely we are to believe we are living in a conspiring world.138 MI5 and other counter-terrorism agencies’ lack of transparency has been a contentious issue for some time. The British government only admitted its existence in 1989, and since then small steps have been made towards de-classifying and demystifying its operations. The British public is not as willing to accept silence or minimalist official statements as it was a generation ago, and if it is denied answers it will look for them independently.

p 39

Greater openness is important. Research suggests that providing people with more information can effectively stop some people believing conspiracy theories as a logical reaction to this new information...

p 40

As the government conducts its review of counter-terrorism powers, it should consider how the intelligence agencies and other counterterrorism operations could be more transparent...
...There should be maximum disclosure in counter-terrorism cases... ...Make intelligence announcements more explicit...
...Change reporting of court proceedings and transcripts...
...In major terrorist trials, it is in the public interest to disseminate everything that happened in open court, and at public expense, redacted where necessary where there are overwhelming security implications for the protection of a witness or sources.

p 41

I fully agree with these recommendations. It is an obstacle on the way to truth, if only information which is convenient to the government is released. Embarassing transcripts must also be released.

Security and policing agencies must continue to develop personal relationships with communities to build up trust.

pg 41

Most persons, who have been betrayed, have been betrayed by someone they trusted. So this proposel is of no benefit.

Civil Society must play a more proactive role in confronting the lies and myths of conspiracy theories when they find them.

p 42

This could be interpreted as recommendation for the application of more social pressure from various "seemingly independent sources" with the intend to change the conspiracy theorists believe. On the other hand, everyone should be encouraged to speak out his believes.

For obvious reasons it is extremely difficult for the government to infiltrate effectively closed networks of disinformation. However, open infiltration is possible in some limited instances.

Introduce some limited, open infiltration of Internet and physical sites by government to introduce alternative information.

p 43

In my opinion an open infiltration would be a good thing. This opens the opportunity to ask questions and demand information. Just look how at press conferences pathetic reporters only ask softball questions. Citizens could do a better job.

Just for info: I believe that the secret infiltration of websites and activists groups and disinformation-campaigns are being practiced widely. These practices will be continued. But these activities are neither mentioned, not called for in the Demos report.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenshrew

Hello Drunkenshrew check out Pockets thread too. He/she has read through the entire Demos report and they are discussing it on there as well.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think the issue of links to extremism is probably the biggest fear for the likes of us. As I mentioned earlier it will be quite a divisive tool in making us police ourselves.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phenomium
WOW, this is current and breaking news LOL,

They have been doing this for years.

Quite right Phenomium.

Such false leaks of false reports are part of the disinformation plan, to preemptively remove credibility to an genuine leaks about just how extensive their operations already are.

Next their Think Tanks will call for Governent treaties with Aliens. As if that had taken place in the nineteen fifties and was ongoing "business as usual" today. And as if Intelligence Agencies weren't in many case already hosting themselves on their proprietary agency Servers numerous conspiracy forums.

Don't buy the fake propaganda intentionally minored scare tactics of Think Tanks to belittle our impression of risks, and don't trust any Internet Conspiracy forums as their profile makes them the first place to look for any rebels or independent thinkers posing a potential risk to autocratic rule.

FWIW

GS

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Mehhh,, these sites are already infiltrated. Forget those who seem to be peddling a non conspiracy line.
It's the ridiculous tin foil hat types who would read conspiracy into an egg sandwich that are the ones to watch. So many of these on sites like this. So quick to shriek 'troll' or shill'. IMO it's most likely them. What better way to discredit a site or an idea than to bring on the mad folks? Think about it...

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
well......they've already been on ATS for quite some time...

It's honestly not that hard to pinpoint exactly who is disinfo or who has been sent.

there are different levels though.

Some are meant to insight anger, and are meant to come across as less intelligent.

and some are very sneaky and will pretend to be something they are not for their duration of their time on ATS.

Recap: Some are purposefully being idiots....

Some are going to be people you think you really trust, but they are tricking you to get in on a different perspective of thought of an ATS visitor.

Most of the time, the idiot ones give it away in thier username....It's blatantly obvious and they don't even try to hide it...

They flaunt it actually.....but rarely are they called out.

They are the ones when there is 15 amazing posts and then one guy comes in with a dark/sinister type screen name and says 5 lines of complete BS just to derail the topic at hand.....

They do it to discussions that are creeping closer to the truth....because they don't fear topics that they know are false, because who they work for likes these false topics.

I know this sounds like random nonsense, but look closely at the threads you post in and tell me if you can pick a few out.
I've been able to now but about the past 2 months and starting noticing patterns in the approach of how they talk on these forums.....

It's easy to notice when a group of random people were obviously trained the same way..

Be Smarter......think for yourself. trust instinct.

Peace

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I think this amounts to interference with freedom of speech and First Amendment rights.

I see plenty of stuff on the Internet that I don't like and don't agree with--see it every day--but I also don't like the idea of the government getting involved with the people's free expression of opinions, even when I strongly disagree with certain opinions.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Hello there folks thanks for all the replies Faiol hope you got my U2U anyway looks like I got the wrong end of the stick there, my apologies for that.

Anyway I posted this iver in Pockets thread too but thought I might as well put it here too!

"I had a look at the whole report this morning, and I have to say the most striking point for me was the mention of the Solomon Asch ‘conformity’ experiments. Having just researched these today it really seems to do nothing but devalue the DEMOS argument.

Basically in the DEMOS report it states;

The famous Solomon Asch ‘conformity’ experiments have demonstrated that when just one other member of a group disagrees with the group consensus all members are significantly more likely to resist the urge to conform.

Now this in itself would suggest that they are referring to the use of alternate theories to destabilise the conformity being reached by a group. If the group in question is one of conspiracy theorists that have stumbled onto the truth, then the plantation of different 'views' would basically amount to lies.

So I suppose the question I would pose to DEMOS is, do they suggest the blanket plantation of alternate theories regardless of the truth of the matter?

I suspect the answer is yes!

The Solomon Asch Study;
www.age-of-the-sage.org... "

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join