It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Repubicans block Small Biz Bill

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by johnny2127

You have so many distortions of history it is sad.

Do you understand that democrats controlled congress until 1995, and that the effect of any legislation passed after repubs took over congress didn't go into effect until 1996. The result then being the DotCom boom that began in 1997.

The tax increase which was primarily on the wealthy did result in more money going back into investment, as opposed to exec bonuses.

By the way, corporations can use overseas funds to invest in the U.S.. Money put back directly into investments is not taxed, only profits such as exec bonuses. Let them keep their money in risky overseas accounts, hopefully they get robbed blind someday.

What you don't seem to understand is that congress only writes the laws. The executive branch enforces those law through the policy guided by the administration in power.

Republicans like Nixon, Reagan, and both Bushes did an extremely poor job of administrating enforcement of the laws written by congress. By enforcing laws when they saw fit, ignoring criminal activity, showing favoritism, and coming down hard on political enemies, these admins created hostile business environments that simply could not function well.

Do you know what third way economics is? It isn't the laws that are passed so much as they way they are enforced. Through the government agencies working with business to create a competitive environment, the laws of the market were actually able to come into play, and create efficiency. This is what created the economic prosperity under Clinton.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   

NO, you are being conned by your own sources. They don't say what you claim, they only imply it.

www.factcheck.org...

* Some Republicans, including Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa have pointed out that GM used TARP money to pay back its TARP debt. That’s true, but GM simply handed back TARP money it had been lent and hadn’t used. Those funds had been sitting in an escrow account, should the automaker need them. (The company didn’t borrow new money to pay back an older loan.)

Grassley has argued that this wasn’t a "meaningful" repayment of a loan, since it didn’t come from earnings. That’s an opinion, and we’ll leave it to readers to agree or disagree with the senator.

This is what I described, and people who buy the repub twist live in a world of delusion.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

So besides not responding to the fact that you had your facts wrong with the GM loan, you also won't respond and name any legislation Clinton passed that stimulated the economy. Raising taxes never stimulates the economy. Never. Thats simple economics. And I'm a financial analyst and economist for a living, so I think I understand this stuff better than you. All you spit out is venom and rhetoric. Here's the gist of everything you say: Republicans evil Democrats and liberals are amazing. You will not admit you were mistaken even when facts are on your part. You can't name what Clinton did before Republicans took Congress. You don't respond to the factual spending cuts I showed Reagan made. You don't respond to the acts or legislation I even post. You won't engage in any dialog at all. All you want to do is argue and demean people that don't agree with you. I have tried to have dialog with you. I've asked you to expand or show things. You won't. You literally act like a paid Democratic operative since you won't engage in any dialog or back and forth at all. You are the perfect example of the sad state of political discourse in America right now. Very sad to see.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Well well well score one more point for the elites, we're now down to negative points( the rest of the country).

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Just curious if you have any blame left for the Dems who are slowing the progress of this bill?

From your sources:

The House Financial Services Committee finally passed the bill on a straight party-line vote in late May. A month later, the House passed it, 241-182, with only three Republicans in support and 13 Democrats opposed.

Let me hear you curse those 13 Dems, as well, if you sincerely believe your rancor against those who oppose a bill you are so certain is what you've been told it is.

Republicans want the ability to add a number of amendments, but Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) has said he would only allow three...

...[Democrats] won't allow other GOP amendments, including the estate tax, nuclear loan guarantees, border security, a government spending cap and the expiring Bush tax cuts.

So, the Dems refuse to even consider possible amendments proposed by Repubs. Sounds kind of "obstructionist" to me, doesn't it to you?

I suspect I already know your answer, though.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Its funny to watch people think that the
Democrats or the Republicans have control of the House.
The Bankster's do
Replace the G in Gangster and put a B
You get Bankster's.
Once you Understand Bankster
then you understand Washington!

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Well you guys just keep waving the Red and the Blue while forgetting about the Stars.

Nite All

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I always enjoy liberals bashing republicans, on how they are destroying the country... when in fact it is the compete opposite. How is it the Republicans fault a Bill is not passed? they don't have the juice to push through or stop anything. for all those brainwashed in college by their liberal professors... Stay Classy
and keep up the fight, regardless If it is a retarded fight or not.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I proved you claim about the GM loan to be nothing but a distortion, and backed it up with links. You want to ignore this and live in delusion, it is your choice.

I am sorry you don't understand how the government in the U.S. works, in the role of the Executive Branch in creating the policy for enforcing the laws. I explained this, and clearly it went over your head.

I don't see any facts about spending cuts Reagan made that you have posted. Where?

Are you denying that Reagan ran deficits every year he was in office. You have completely chosen to ignore the facts of Reagan's many failures. The people who ran the government under Reagan were the same crooks who were running the country under Nixon, and both Bush presidents, along with the younger crooks raised under the same twisted logic.

I have answered every point you have made that has any significance to the discussion, and clearly explained why you are wrong, and provided the historical facts to prove my points, facts which you have chosen to ignore.

You ignore that every republican admin for the last forty years has continually practiced poor fiscal policy creating almost all of the huge debt of the federal government.

You ignore the role of the executive branch in the U.S. government in order to deny giving Clinton credit for the Executive Administration policies he created.

Lastly, you ignore the facts of this thread that Republicans in congress are intentionally stalling well crafted legislation in support of small businesses.

In fact you laid out a bunch of claims about this legislation, for which you have never provided any proof, and which I have shown to be wrong,

I have countered everything you have presented, while you have countered nothing I have presented. By the way, considering what has happened with the markets over the last decade plus, doesn't give you any credibility. There are simply too many con men out there in the business.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

You obviously don't read all of what I wrote. I said Clinton was a fairly good President. I gave him credit. You literally are acting like one of the worst partisan people I have ever seen on this site.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

I don't know why some democrats didn't support the bill. but they are a small minority who did not succeed in blocking passage.

Republicans trying to attach riders to the bill that have nothing to do with the bill at hand are screwing over small businessmen.

The republican message is that they will only do something for small businesses as long as democrats agree to do an even bigger favor for the super rich.

They are using procedure for that which is was not intended, playing their normal round of dirty deeds.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnny2127
reply to post by poet1b

You obviously don't read all of what I wrote. I said Clinton was a fairly good President. I gave him credit. You literally are acting like one of the worst partisan people I have ever seen on this site.

exactly Bill clinton was a good president, he at least had the good sense to go to the middle... and he had real Charisma...

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Yeah, I read that you felt Clinton was a fairly good president, but then you went on trying to give credit to GH and Gingrich for things where they did not deserve credit.

What I don't understand is why you continue to ignore my points about the role of the executive branch, and Clinton's policies that enable the economic growth of the nineties.

Why don't you support legislation for small business. I have responded to to your claims and provided evidence that proves you wrong, but you insisted on going over this old ground about fiscal responsibility.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Target Earth

Thanks,

Yeah, I wish Obama would start re-implementing the admin policies of Clinton. If he started evenly enforcing a fair set of rules, got businesses back to doing business, instead of gambling on the stock market, our economy could recover.

Given the opportunity, our market system will right itself.

Look at my signature folks, I have many problems with the democrats as well.

I still say it, blocking this small biz bill is dirty politics on the part of the repubs.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
So what was attached that we didn't know about? I don't count on the repubs for jack S, however by them blocking something that they are basing thier political capital on, something is amiss. Where is the bill itself? Let us look on it and decide. Quit relying on talking heads. I want to see it in it's entirety INCLUDING the earmarks and add-ons that have nothing to do with small business.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by djvexd]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

On page 2 and three there is more discussion on the actual bill. I would like to get back to that myself.

I am a bit tired tonight, but I would like to continue further discussion on the issue, because I see this as important. Most likely I will get back to you tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Rgr dgr.. have a good rest.
second line

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

It was another handout. They are against handouts. This is effectively a bill that pays the offset of bailing out big corporations. You payed them, small businesses suffered, so then they payed the small businesses. I think if it was a drop in taxes alone it would pass. I think it was right to block another handout.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

You're forgetting a democratic controlled Congress during those 30 years helped out. Budgets do not come from the White House. They come from Congress, and the party that has controlled Congress since January 2007 is the Democrat Party. They controlled the budget process for FY 2008 and FY 2009, as well as FY 2010 and FY 2011. In that first year, they had to contend with George Bush, which caused them to compromise on spending, when Bush somewhat belatedly got tough on spending increases.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

You mean reapplying the fiscal policies that he inherited from King George the first and was then totally goaded by Gore into following the economic policies of a Republican dominated Congress? How dare you! I thought it was those evil Republicans that started this mess! For shame!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join