It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Repubicans block Small Biz Bill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
How can anyone claim that republicans are not doing everything possible to sabotage the U.S. economy right now. This is down and dirty politics, but isn't that the heart of the GOP these days.

blogs.abcnews.com...

"Can You Guys Still Hear Us?": President Obama Talks Economy Amidst Technical Snafus

The president said the small business lending initiative would help business owners “get the credit they need and eliminate capital gains taxes on key investments so they have more incentive to invest right now. And it would accelerate $55 billion of tax relief to encourage American businesses, small and large, to expand their investments over the next 14 months. Unfortunately, this bill has been languishing in the Senate for months, held up by partisan minority that won't even allow it to go to a vote. That makes no sense.”

This is just mind blowing.

Anyone who believes in the Market system should be outraged by republican's continued attempts to destroy small businesses in the U.S., and to drag down the U.S. economy.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by poet1b]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Is it just me that see how obvious it is that republican holding up this bill can only be intentionally sabotaging our economic recovery.

We have ten trillion plus in debt created by republicans, in order to finance their free market, steal from the poor schemes, and now that the economy has fallen, as predicted, they refuse to do anything to encourage small business.

I don't see how anyone can claim they are Americans, and support these hacks who clearly show they will do anything to support their big corporate agenda.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Normally, I don't side in the partisan crap going on, but this stood out to me...

A Senate Republican leadership aide said that when the Senate returns, the first legislative vote scheduled will deal with a Republican amendment to the small business bill. The Senate is not scheduled to return until September 13
(from OP article)

One can only imagine what the ammendment is.. maybe something that makes the small business act only apply to large MNC's?

Gonna see if I can find the supposed ammendment's text.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
its not overly suprising...in a 2 party system, the party not in power will do anything and everything they can to make the other side fail, even at the expense of everything.

then the sides switch and the same game happens.

This november, vote independent only...if all that was in power were independents, then they would vote based on the bill, not the party (as there is no party)

eliminate partys all together, let people vote based on who the person is and what they stand for, not what letter is beside their name...there should be a ban on party systems in place and it should be considered a scandal to find out a politician is affiliated with any party frankly.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Whilest I agree with you in principal; in practice, it would seem that even independants choose their lefts and rights and are too busy trying to keep their job rather trying to do their job.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
They can bailout Wallstreet, but help small business, that would be government interference.

thehill.com...

In his State of the Union address in January, President Obama made the fund for small-business loans a top priority. The measure was supposed to have an easy road to passage, at least when compared with the $700 billion Wall Street bailout and the $787 billion fiscal stimulus package.

The House Financial Services Committee finally passed the bill on a straight party-line vote in late May. A month later, the House passed it, 241-182, with only three Republicans in support and 13 Democrats opposed.

But the fund is still hung up as part of a broader small-business bill that includes other tax incentives.

Other "incentives" which means repub demands for more corporate welfare.

+14 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Dude, The democrats own majorities in the house senate and the white house. Stop blaming the republicans. The democrats past heath care without a single republican vote. Whats the problem now?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

"Can You Guys Still Hear Us?": President Obama Talks Economy Amidst Technical Snafus

so the headline and article is about the dems not beaing heard, and yet not one word in their is from the republicans other then the short sentence qouted by someone other than the op,

helllloooo OP you ever think about presenting both sides of the story? like what is the republicans perspective and reasoning?

you dont even know do you? only your own preconcieved notions.

if it is realy that obvious then why do you only present your chosen sides perspective? if it realy was so clean cut then you could give us the whole story before expecting us to side with you against those evil repubs

ideology is toxic don't subscribe to one.

both parties are bad and puppets, dont fall for the polarization trick of propaganda by sideing with one or the other.

Other "incentives" which means repub demands for more corporate welfare.

did you assume that? you did didnt you? if not then do you care to present whatever has you thinking that? or do you want us to believe your assumptions.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by pryingopen3rdeye]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

I would take a moment to point out the illogical aspects of saying that one cannot blame republicans for what republicans do based upon a democratic majority...

But trying to dissect the paradoxical aspects of it all has confused me to the point where I'm not sure what to say.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Anyone who blocked that vote is in the pocket of big business. Note down the names, and make sure they don't get reelected!

Way to kick the "average Joe" in the groin!

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I agree, we definitely need a third party to emerge and shake up the political establishment. There is plenty of room in the middle for a party which appeals to middle ground policies to emerge. Unfortunately it seems that the only new parties being created are on the ideological fringes.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Stop spreading disinformation about only Republicans being stooges for Wall Street. Look at the "stimulus package" and then also look deep into those big brown doe eyes of our Commander in Chief and see those large dollar signs in Goldman Sachs contributions during Obama's 2008 campaign. The Democrats have been Goldman Sachs and Wall Street stooges for just as long as the Republicans.

Anyone going to address the cost of Small Business not getting tax breaks for the now mandated Universal Health Care? The tax bracket that they are in if they make more than 250,000 dollars? 250,00 grand ain't # anymore. Why don't you ask our wonderful Democrat Congress why we're spending billions on jobs for people in Israel and China and not getting anything set up here? You know why most IT companies get their employees from China, India, and other asian countries? They don't have to pay them a real salary, they don't have to pay them benefits and they can use their status aginast them to make them work very long hours. Something that was never addressed by the jobs bill.

Perhaps we're out of money. Perhaps people shouldn't listen to Paul Krugman and should shut the damn priting presses at the FR down.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

If you have paid any attention, you would know that due to far too many rules of procedure, it has become far too easy for the minority party to block legislation from the party in control, which is unconstitutional.

See my post above, the bill passed in May along straight party lines.

Rather than attack me, you should do some research yourself as to why the republicans are blocking legislation to help small business.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
One can only imagine what the ammendment is.. maybe something that makes the small business act only apply to large MNC's?

Gonna see if I can find the supposed ammendment's text.

i wouldnt be surprised if something fishy was slipped into the act, that would explain a delay, i ALSO wouldnt be surprised if there is no delay at all and it is nothing but false media hype to vilinize the right,

these things are possibilites that have already happened mutiple times this year, so we mustnt assume it couldnt be happening again, don't just eat up the medias words hook line and sinker people.

Originally posted by poet1bRather than attack me, you should do some research yourself as to why the republicans are blocking legislation to help small business.

maybe its just me but it seems that if you start a thread in which you are clearly angry that legislation is being blocked, that maybe you yourself would research why, and present it within that thread.

unless you want to present your anger over legislation being blocked while excluding the reason and including your anger,

sounds disinformational.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by pryingopen3rdeye]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by justinsweatt

Why don't you ask our wonderful Democrat Congress why we're spending billions on jobs for people in Israel and China and not getting anything set up here?

I don't have to ask, I know why, it is due to the trade treaty signed by GW and th republican controlled congress that totally screwed the U.S. public and small businesses in the U.S..

It was also the GW admin who opened the door to illegal immigration, and stopped prosecuting companies that hired illegals. Under Clinton, a half a million businesses a year were being prosecuted for hiring illegals. GW immediately put a stop to that.

Instead of wallowing in ignorance, you should try to learn about the realities of our current situation.

Republicans are continuing to do everything in their power to destroy the U.S. middle class.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

You should take your own advice as it was the Clinton adminsitration, under the behest of Gore, along with McCain and other Republicans and Democrats who helped repeal the Glass-Stegall act. Also, Clinton was the one who forged ahead with NAFTA and GATT so you have absolutely NO CLUE, in my opinion, of what you are discussing here.

It's just Republicans who are destroying the middle class? Really? Democrats couldn't possibly have had a hand in this? I suggest you pick up some books that might enlighten you.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I think I have it now. Hmmmmm this bill will lend money to small business owners, so they can pay all of the new taxes and fees, some from the passage of the Health Care plan and the dirty small business owner who makes over $250,000. per year.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by justinsweatt

And still the nineties was a decade of prosperity, while the GW years were nothing but creation of debt leading to financial collapse.

The problem isn't the trade treaties, the problem is how trade has been handled by the different admins. Under GW and repub control, ICs have been given all the control and support, while small businesses have been buried.

NAFTA
Wake up and smell the coffee, our jobs didn't go to Mexico, they went to China.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Mahree

A large part of the bill is to cut taxes on small businesses.

Too many people like you are completely brainwashed into parroting right wind radio propagandists.

Even when repubs do so blatant an attack on the middle class to block legislation to help small businesses, you repeat the repub mantra.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

We have ten trillion plus in debt created by republicans, in order to finance their free market, steal from the poor schemes, and now that the economy has fallen, as predicted, they refuse to do anything to encourage small business.

When Bush took office the national debt was $4 trillion from the Clinton years. When he left office it was $10 trillion, which means he added $6 trillion. Obama has added $4 trillion already, and thats not counting the trillions the Fed has spent at his request.

My point is that Bush spent way too much and Obama is spending even more. Bush was bad, Obama is worse. Republicans lost their small govt, low spending ways under Bush and spent like liberals. No offense to liberals out there, but its always been a distinction..... Republicans are supposed to be for small govt, liberals want bigger govt that takes a more active roll.

Regarding this bill in the Senate, I would need to see what the actual details are. Bills regularly sit in committee for months. So I'd need to see if this bill has been there longer than normal, and if so what the Republican objections are. I'd need to see what the bill actually says. What are the details of the tax cuts? Who gets them? What does a business need to do to get them? Are they targeted just to industries Obama likes or is it for every small business? How are they paying for it, with corresponding spending cuts or new taxes on another source? You have to remember, Obama is a politician also, so you can't just take what he says, minus the details and then flip out.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by johnny2127]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join